Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching boys to box

Options
  • 09-10-2018 8:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭

What is a good age to teach boys to box and very importantly having taught him to throw a punch how do I stop him from doing it in ordinary rough and tumble play.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Traditionally the age was around ten in Ireland but in other countries it’s much younger. I went to Cuba to train for a month and the kids over there were in a full time academy by around eight years old. My own club now does young kids classes and there’s a huge focus on learning through play as well, kids are around five or six years old.

I wouldn’t worry about them suddenly breaking out three punch combos during messing in school, that’s inculcated into them very quickly from their coaches. Kids doing boxing were never the type to take liberties like that in my opinion.

Boxing will instill a great sense of discipline into any child and it’s a tremendously positive activity. As soon as any young person of mine is old enough they’ll have gloves on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What is a good age to teach boys to box and very importantly having taught him to throw a punch how do I stop him from doing it in ordinary rough and tumble play.

What age is the child?.

Bring him to a boxing club and see if he likes it, but my recommendation would be some kind of grappling style like Judo, BJJ, Freestyle Wrestling ~ these all come naturally to children, its how they play in a group.

Put a bunch of young lads in a field and watch them roll around rough housing, and that's why I always recommend grappling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

FTA69 wrote: »

I wouldn’t worry about them suddenly breaking out three punch combos during messing in school, that’s inculcated into them very quickly from their coaches. Kids doing boxing were never the type to take liberties like that in my opinion.
    I plan to teach the absolute rudiments myself.

I'm not trying to be smart but are you a boxer or coach yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Part of the formal training of boxing and martial arts is discipline. When young fellas (and girls!) have confidence in their self defense they dont get themselves into fights (usually!)

"We learn karate, so we never have to use karate."
    .....The Simpsons

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to be smart but are you a boxer or coach yourself?

Very reasonable question; not a bit smart. I boxed as a teenager and am in my early forties. Haven't sparred for 11 years. Boy is seven. My dad taught me (he was actually good though (LOL)). I have a lot of memories of it and it was a space for talking as well.

Very reasonable question; not a bit smart. I boxed as a teenager and am in my early forties. Haven't sparred for 11 years. Boy is seven. My dad taught me (he was actually good though (LOL)). I have a lot of memories of it and it was a space for talking as well.

Sounds good mate, all the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I win for me! FOR ME!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I started when I was about 10. The trick is to find a good club. Used to box at St. Joseph's in Ballyboden - there was an aul fella (in his 70's), probably dead and buried now who used to attend ever session at my old club - he could barely breath with the wheezing let alone throw a punch, but everyone respected him - he was tough as nails back in the day (there was an old picture of him in the club finishing a marathon 50 odd years ago with a smoke hanging out of his mouth). He often spoke to the lads at the club about using their fists outside the ring - told us all that it wasn't what a man did. He did more than that too - jesus, I still remember the bollocking he gave me at 16 when he found out I was smoking.

It also kept me fit as a fiddle at the time, and disciplined.

Boxing was an extremely positive influence on my formative years - I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

No age is good. Its barbaric, and even disguised as sport, has no part to play in civilised society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

No age is good. Its barbaric, and even disguised as sport, has no part to play in civilised society.

I won’t say you’re wrong, as it’s very much subjective, but horseplay (or roughhousing as they call it Stateside) has been shown to be good for children -

https://psychcentral.com/lib/6-benefits-of-roughhousing-for-kids/

For what it’s worth OP, my brother started my niece in boxing at 7 years of age, and I’ve always enjoyed horseplay with my child. It has many benefits including keeping fit, fostering their social skills, as well as the benefits listed above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wouldnt be my sport, but if it keeps young lads off the streets, away from drugs, gives them motivation, a purpose and trains them in discipline, then im all for it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Have you dropped into the box factory recently , I hear they be recruiting for kids to box crackers for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Have you given him a few slaps to see how he handles it? If he still cries then he's too young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Send him to a club, try a few in your area. He'll click with one.

I love coaching, I love new people regardless age coming to the club. I particularly like coaching females, because not one of them has ever told me they used to box as a teenager.

Forget about boxing as a teenager, if you want the kid to box (or learn any kind of combat sport) send him to a club and let him get proper coaching, don't even try coach from the sidelines (these parents are a nightmare).

Best of luck with the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What is a good age to teach boys to box.....

Don't forget the girls...... little tigers like this one coming up, they need to be prepared too.

https://twitter.com/FG_jayson/status/1017151165442805765

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

My club minimum age is ten

Send him to a club, try a few in your area. He'll click with one.

I love coaching, I love new people regardless age coming to the club. I particularly like coaching females, because not one of them has ever told me they used to box as a teenager.

Forget about boxing as a teenager, if you want the kid to box (or learn any kind of combat sport) send him to a club and let him get proper coaching, don't even try coach from the sidelines (these parents are a nightmare).

Best of luck with the lad.

Bracken in balbiggan is turning out a good few young lads well able to take straps for Ireland. Crank has been pro for three or four years now. Wish him all the best in the world, but fighting for your supper is a dirty business, shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,053 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Traditionally the age was around ten in Ireland but in other countries it’s much younger. I went to Cuba to train for a month and the kids over there were in a full time academy by around eight years old. My own club now does young kids classes and there’s a huge focus on learning through play as well, kids are around five or six years old.

Prince Naseem started when he was 7* ;)

But back to being a little serious, in some countries, I think they don't announce a winner in bouts until maybe even 15. I think there is a minimum age in Ireland now too. Not so sure though. Haven't been in a proper club in about 10 years

*Just winding up from a different thread

That's ok. You just don't know what you are talking about. It's a common mistake due to ignorance and zero experience. No harm done. People who have even a basis idea or experience of what it is in reality won't be threatened by your opinion

• Advertisement

Bracken in balbiggan is turning out a good few young lads well able to take straps for Ireland. Crank has been pro for three or four years now. Wish him all the best in the world, but fighting for your supper is a dirty business, shame really.

Whatever happened to the other fella down there. A banger. Boxed senior. Never won them though but I think won the intermediates. Half claimed to have broken Mayweather's ribs in sparring. Then disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Prince Naseem started when he was 7* ;)

But back to being a little serious, in some countries, I think they don't announce a winner in bouts until maybe even 15. I think there is a minimum age in Ireland now too. Not so sure though. Haven't been in a proper club in about 10 years

*Just winding up from a different thread

Some clubs will start them as young as 6 or 7 but that's usually, but not always, when the coaches are related to the kids in some way. Usually it's 9 or 10 and 'officially' it's either 11 or 12 to start competitive boxing - pretty sure that it's 11 though. Even at that age novice boxers may still fight exhibition fights, where there is no winner, rather than go straight into competitive bouts.

Great sport for both fitness and discipline.

In Ireland you can't box as a pro until you're 18 although Irelands youngest professional, James Power, is only 17. He can box outside the country and did so recently in Mexico.

Back to the OP, I'd be inclined to get him into a club as well. Start at home and see if he really likes it then take him along to a local club to have a look around and see what other age kids are there.

Whatever happened to the other fella down there. A banger. Boxed senior. Never won them though but I think won the intermediates. Half claimed to have broken Mayweather's ribs in sparring. Then disappeared

Rodgey? Sparred mayweather for months, blow for blow. Never heard anything from him about moneys ribs though. Personal trainer now

Rodgey? Sparred mayweather for months, blow for blow. Never heard anything from him about moneys ribs though. Personal trainer now

Found this

https://www.the42.ie/robert-gorman-3550758-Aug2017/

We have been teaching our kids (now 8 and 4) the rudiments and basics of Brazilian Ju-jitsu since they turned 3. So I would say there is no right or wrong age to start with something like that. At every age there are some rudiments you can start off with - even from 3 - which will feed into good training and full training later.

As for stopping them during "ordinary rough play" - that is a good argument for starting their training early. Because the earlier it is the more likely it is that this play will either be with you or supervised by you. So if and when you see them "turn it on" at an inappropriate time you can shut it down - or shut the play down - and quite early instil in them that there is a correct time and place to switch into that mode - and consequences like loss of play and fun when it is done at the wrong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

My girls are 5 & 4 and they love Taekwondo.
    Boxing club lower age limit is 8, they'll be joining when they're old enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

my youngest two box age 4 and 7.
    4 year old is a once a week class for 30min.
    7 year old is now in the 7 -17 class and goes twice a week.
    they love it.

eldest boxed for about a year when he was 13 but is now a difficult teen and wont do nothing :(

I didnt do boxing but did kickboxing and muay thai for quite a while so its something thats always been in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I'm sure its like most other Martial Arts, where its more about disapline, self control, respect, confidence, and motivation, rather then knocking the head of an opponent, then I am all for it.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I'm sure its like most other Martial Arts, where its more about disapline, self control, respect, confidence, and motivation, rather then knocking the head of an opponent, then I am all for it.
    It is mostly about stopping other boys from hitting you to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fantastic article. Thanks

Advertisement