Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Children Play Barns = Germ Farms ?

• 21-09-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

You know those buildings we bring the kids to for birthday parties with those areas containing tubes, tunnels, slides, climbing ropes and webs, as well as inflatables and trampolines, and large pools of colourful plastic balls...

Well no more for my kids in anyway!

Every time they return within 48hrs one of them has some illness.
    and before I continue I am in no way a prude, and the two kids are sturdy little fellas, but anecdotally I have noticed this trend after attending these in door areas.

and when you think about it I doubt half of these areas are cleaned properly (even if you could clean them thoroughly which I doubt) and a couple of hundred kids on a daily basis , week-in-week out there is bound to be a lot of germs, bacteria, faecal matter around.

yes its all part of being a kid and building up their little immune systems, but I think these play barns are a new phenomenon and bring their own serious (new) dangers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,653 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

yes its all part of being a kid and building up their little immune systems, but I think these play barns are a new phenomenon and bring their own serious (new) dangers.

In what way do you think schools, sportsclubs, shopping centres or even the great outdoors is any cleaner?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Gems build character!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

In what way do you think schools, sportsclubs, shopping centres or even the great outdoors is any cleaner?

easier to clean, maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Nah, it's schools that are the problem; kids corralled in close quarters for up to 8 hours a day - that's where stuff like this current lurgy is coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Mud baths, only way to build up the immune system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,653 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

easier to clean, maybe?

I'd argue that places where the business is kids pay even more attention to clenliness than anywhere else.

If we're just talking bugs and colds - these things take 2-4 days to incubate, so there's no way you can trace it to a common cause. They've more than likely been at school every time within the same timeframe as the play centre.

Of course, it could be one specific playcentre - in which case fair enough - but it sounds a bit like you've got a vendetta agasint them?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Kids need germs! They need to be exposed to all these things early in life to get their immune system working properly.
    Else we end up with a generation of kids with all sorts of allergies in adulthood!

I'd argue that places where the business is kids pay even more attention to clenliness than anywhere else.

If we're just talking bugs and colds - these things take 2-4 days to incubate, so there's no way you can trace it to a common cause. They've more than likely been at school every time within the same timeframe as the play centre.

Of course, it could be one specific playcentre - in which case fair enough - but it sounds a bit like you've got a vendetta agasint them?

no vendetta I can assure you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Kids getting illnesses is kinda what they do is it not?

Menas wrote: »
    Kids need germs! They need to be exposed to all these things early in life to get their immune system working properly.
    Else we end up with a generation of kids with all sorts of allergies in adulthood!

no arguments with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kids are biological weapons. Just the way it is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

easier to clean, maybe?
    The great outdoors is easier to clean? :D The more a kids immune system is tested it seems the better for the kid and later adult.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

Wrap them in cotton wool that will stop those nasty bugs.

Fair play though in tarring all of those places though, who knew germs can congregate in common areas. Learns something new everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Children's primary purpose in nature is to spread disease so it wouldn't surprise me that anywhere with a lot of children is like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Marinade everything in Dettol.

Marinade everything in Dettol.

Even the kids?

Especially the kids says you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ball pools have shockingly bad hygiene standards. I remember a few years ago a study carried out in the States found some pretty fcuked up stuff in ball pools. Apart from feces, piss and other bodily fluids they found syringes and even snakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Especially the kids says you.
    The kids can have a dry rub of baking soda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We've gone from helicopter parenting to dressing them all in full body containment suits like in Outbreak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Menas wrote: »

this is so true.
    I also firmly believe those dettol ads for cleaning your kitchen 99.99% of bacteria isn't helping your immune system in the long term.

Same goes for fancy soaps that add in stuff like tea tree oil etc...
    As the dose is probably not significant enough to do any good but enough to allow germs to develop an immunity to it over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I encourage my kids to get their hands full of muck in the garden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm surprised at the almost totally negative response to this topic. I don't believe in those antiseptic sprays for the kitchen, and I do agree that kids need exposure to 'germs', but I agree with the OP that the potential for spreading illness in the adventure barns for young children is a bit high. And I did take my own kids to them when they were young.

The great outdoors can be mucky ok, but its generally 'clean dirt' and it at least gets a shower of rain, or exposure to sunshine occasionally!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In my day we ate chewing gum picked up off the path and used to come home in the evenings with dirt caked onto us. Just one child in my school year of 153 had asthma. We were built and made hardy back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm not going to start another when I was a wain ramble but yeah, far too much hygeine bollocks these days, and not enough cleaning at the same time.

We were clattered all day in all kinds of crap, and if you went to the doctor or the hospital you were hung with the smell of Jeyes fluid.

Nowadays kids get the run of a babywipe every two minutes, and the doctor's surgery smells like the deli counter in Centra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

looksee wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the almost totally negative response to this topic. I don't believe in those antiseptic sprays for the kitchen, and I do agree that kids need exposure to 'germs', but I agree with the OP that the potential for spreading illness in the adventure barns for young children is a bit high. And I did take my own kids to them when they were young.

The great outdoors can be mucky ok, but its generally 'clean dirt' and it at least gets a shower of rain, or exposure to sunshine occasionally!

Barns are for three things kids should never be exposed to.

Hay, calving and riding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kids are biological weapons. Just the way it is.

Perhaps we could use them to defend ourselves when Europe invades Ireland:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

arayess wrote: »
    this is so true.
    I also firmly believe those dettol ads for cleaning your kitchen 99.99% of bacteria isn't helping your immune system in the long term.

Same goes for fancy soaps that add in stuff like tea tree oil etc...
    As the dose is probably not significant enough to do any good but enough to allow germs to develop an immunity to it over time.
    Jesus, those ads and that stuff annoys me. I've been seeing one recently for anti-bacterial washing powder for clothes that's making me apoplectic. We don't need to have a bacterial genocide on every surface in our homes, use it if you've rubbed raw chicken on the kids' toys, sure, but a bit of dirt is grand, and you can give stuff a blast of a steamer these days that'll do the job without the need for chemicals.
    looksee wrote: »
    The play-barns are nowhere near as bad as schools though, especially when you consider that a lot of parents wouldn't take a poorly child to a birthday party but will feel obliged to send them to school, and schools have a lot more kids in close proximity for a lot longer than a play area would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

You know those buildings we bring the kids to for birthday parties with those areas containing tubes, tunnels, slides, climbing ropes and webs, as well as inflatables and trampolines, and large pools of colourful plastic balls...
    We only had my grandfather's farm cow dung heap. It was endlessly fascinating.
    You just don't get the same fly count on a bouncy castle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Like others have said, I think that children need to be exposed to bacteria to build up their immune systems when they are young, and to avoid allergies when they're older. I don't think that playbarns should be avoided, and like others have said, it takes viruses and bacteria a few days to incubate/multiply so it can be difficult to pinpoint where you picked up something, and schools are one of the worst germ factories.

This is coming from someone who is highly susceptible to bacterial infections and as a result has had MRSA hanging out in my lungs for the last eight years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

When i was small i loved those places and you always felt like you didnt have enough time.

You dont get so excited and happy at little things like that as an adult.

If it really bothers you there are lots of really great playgrounds but i wouldnt keep them away on the off chance that they will catch something because they will be missing out on the fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wibbs wrote: »
    The great outdoors is easier to clean? :D The more a kids immune system is tested it seems the better for the kid and later adult.

Yes and no. From an evolutionary perspective indoor soft play centres, schools and creches are not normal and they do create a 'hot house' breeding ground for germs that hasn't existed through most of our evolution. Additionally, the human immune system doesn't fully develop until between 4 and 7 years old. Until then, humans have evolved to rely on their mother's immune system through breastmilk. When they pick up an infection they transmit the virus/bacteria to their mother who's mature immune system then produces the antibodies and sends them back to the child through her milk. Very few children in this part of the world breastfeed for a biologically normal amount of time so this coupled with regular exposure to 'hot housed' germs isn't necessarily the best for the child.

Constant low level exposure is massively beneficial to a child. In fact I'd argue that it's our biological norm and it is lack of exposure that is detrimental rather than the other way around. It's why children who live from infancy with dogs are significantly healthier than their non pet owning counterparts. Living with animals ensures that the child is constantly exposed to germs without getting sick, which allows their immune system to develop slowly and without being put under pressure. And add to this the fact that over use and abuse of antibiotics is creating new, stronger bacterial strains and it's absolutely worth considering the risks of indoor play centres rather than just assuming any and all germ exposure is a good thing.

I do take my son to indoor soft play centres because he loves them and during off peak times adults are allowed on the play equipment and who among us is so dead inside that they don't get giddy at the thought of hurtling down the giant slide of a wet Tuesday morning. :) But I'm under no illusion that the germs he is exposed to there are good for him. Not in the way that climbing into the dog's bed for a hug, licking grass, eating dirt and getting covered in mud are good for him. If I feel he is under the weather I avoid playcentres, both for his sake and that of other children but I'll happily send him outdoors with the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

iguana wrote: »

I do take my son to indoor soft play centres because he loves them and during off peak times adults are allowed on the play equipment and who among us is so dead inside that they don't get giddy at the thought of hurtling down the giant slide of a wet Tuesday morning. :)

I just want to say that that is awesome!

It hurts me a little inside to see play parks where the swings are made specifically so no-one over the age of 10 can park their bum onto the seat for a stealthy swing (when there's not kids waiting for it, I'll add!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Samaris wrote: »
    I just want to say that that is awesome!

It hurts me a little inside to see play parks where the swings are made specifically so no-one over the age of 10 can park their bum onto the seat for a stealthy swing (when there's not kids waiting for it, I'll add!)

Some of the slides in those playcentres would stop you in your tracks.
    Steep. And covered in snot for extra slideyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

are they vaccinated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Kids are germs.

Advertisement