Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I found people coming out an Abandoned building

• 21-09-2015 7:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

This is the second time I've noticed that the same people came out that building and based on how it looks it seems to be abandoned. Should I inform the Garda? They might be illegal here.

11137171_1068409963169368_3812095752152327839_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=748802f544115f211765206ab17034b0&oe=56A68B0E

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Asmooh wrote: »
    This is the second time I've noticed that the same people came out that building and based on how it looks it seems to be abandoned. Should I inform the Garda? They might be illegal here.

11137171_1068409963169368_3812095752152327839_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=748802f544115f211765206ab17034b0&oe=56A68B0E

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Snitches get stitches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

They might be illegal here.

They might be genuine homeless.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

There are people in abandoned buildings all over the country. Most likely just homeless. Can't imagine the Gardai would do anything about it even if you did report it as it is alot of hassle for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭vandriver

How does it impact on your life,at all,what some random unfortunate does to get by?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

Report them Op with winter coming its better they die in the cold wet streets. And then you can continue on with your comfortable surroundings pleased with how you are an upstanding citizen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's obviously some sort of drug crime headquarters; you should definitely inform Batman.

Or, y'know, leave them to it. They might be homeless and just looking for somewhere dry to spend the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's not a crime to be in a building that is, or appears to be, abandoned.

Have you any evidence that crimes are being committed? If so, off with you to the guards. If not, and if the owners of these buildings to not object to someone entering them, it's no skin off your nose.

Finders Keepers OP

Sell their kidneys etc. Retire early.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

You've started a thread on AH. That's all that's needed.

We'll do the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Probably terrorists or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Have you told Joe Duffy yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Peregrinus wrote: »

Have you any evidence that crimes are being committed? If so, off with you to the guards. If not, and if the owners of these buildings to not object to someone entering them, it's no skin off your nose.

Could be akin to trespassing, not sure.

The other point to consider (or that would be considered by the authorities) is health and safety - no one knows who structurally sound or unsound the building is.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The other point to consider (or that would be considered by the authorities) is health and safety - no one knows who structurally sound or unsound the building is.

In fairness it has to be better than the risk to health and safety of sleeping in a ditch or doorway.

Leave them be IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

They look like human traffickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It is trespassing, in all likelihood. But simple trespass is not an offence in Ireland; just a civil matter for which the owner can take action (if he cares to). There would need to be further elements before trespass would be an offence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

What crime have you witnessed that would warrant you calling the police?

They could be homeless or squatting. Seems a perfectly reasonable use of an abandoned building if they are safe, warm and dry in there. And you want to just fuck with them for no reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Menas wrote: »
    In fairness it has to be better than the risk to health and safety of sleeping in a ditch or doorway.

Leave them be IMO.

Oh, I'm not saying report them - I'm saying how it'll be viewed if the OP does report it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yes. I'd inform the Guards.

If anything happens in that building - fire, an assault (or worse) etc - some poor Guards, firemen or paramedics are going to have to go in there and deal with consequences.

I'd at least leg the Guards know and they can make a call on it. Better that than the first time they find out about it is when something catches fire and the 999 call arrives in with someone saying they think there might be a person or people in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

The main problem is that the Gardai might then -have- to make the legal call on it, it's property, it's presumably not theirs, and well, it's trespassing.

It's true that Jawgap's scenario might happen; they're not wrong on it, but it seems there's something very tragic about the legal standards that will 'say' "No, you can't take shelter where there's a roof to keep the rain off and walls to keep the wind away, something might go wrong. Go find a bridge."

And of course, people don't want squatters under the bridge where they walk home alone at nights for fear of getting attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

Maybe they are homeless and getting out of the horrible weather?

None of your business at all, leave them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Not sure why OP is getting so much stick, based on an unfounded assumption that they're a bunch of innocent, puppy-eyed homeless people. Maybe they are. But maybe they're not.

Maybe it's a drugs den, and maybe one of their mates, somebody's son and brother, is lying dead after an overdose and the others don't quite know what to do. Maybe Madeline McCann is in there. Maybe they're just homeless, but maybe they're not and don't abuse OP for asking - because that's all he did - whether or not the guards should know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Could be the best hotspot for free wifi so they can come onto boards and start threads on abandoned buildings

Samaris wrote: »
    The main problem is that the Gardai might then -have- to make the legal call on it, it's property, it's presumably not theirs, and well, it's trespassing.

It's true that Jawgap's scenario might happen; they're not wrong on it, but it seems there's something very tragic about the legal standards that will 'say' "No, you can't take shelter where there's a roof to keep the rain off and walls to keep the wind away, something might go wrong. Go find a bridge."

And of course, people don't want squatters under the bridge where they walk home alone at nights for fear of getting attacked.

I think you'll find most Guards won't 'care' unless there's something blatantly illegal going on (open drug dealing) or reckless (open fires) or there's kids involved. If it's adults simply keeping themselves to themselves and squatting, it's a trespass and a civil matter and they won't touch it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Are they Irish or foreigners coming out of the building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Are they Irish or foreigners coming out of the building?

Refugees welcome. I'd better find a derelict building before they're all gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Johnny Logan was a great squatter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 367 ✭✭justchecked

Squatters - report them before they lay claim and activate their bullsht mode.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Maybe they are homeless and getting out of the horrible weather?

None of your business at all, leave them be.

I would say it depends on who's there, like if they are quiet enough would be alright but if turns into a nest of junkies (before the offended brigade jumps on that word I don't call all addicts junkies but depends on the behavior) or a haunt for the rougher type of street drinker its not great (and contrary to the sometimes held view people do sh*t where they eat in terms of hastle)
    People might call you heartless but they won't be living beside it.

On the flipside a bit more squatting in Ireland would be good, it puts pressure on developers to actually put buildings to use rather than land-banking them

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yes. I'd inform the Guards.

If anything happens in that building - fire, an assault (or worse) etc - some poor Guards, firemen or paramedics are going to have to go in there and deal with consequences.

I'd at least leg the Guards know and they can make a call on it. Better that than the first time they find out about it is when something catches fire and the 999 call arrives in with someone saying they think there might be a person or people in there.

Then why not call the Guards to every single home in the country then? A fire, assault (or worse) "could" happen anywhere, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

The Guards won't have any interest in this. Best job would be to start a fire and call The Fire Brigade, that way you can be sure this matter will be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

ColeTrain wrote: »
    The Guards won't have any interest in this. Best job would be to start a fire and call The Fire Brigade, that way you can be sure this matter will be dealt with.

I really hope that's supposed to be funny.

Hammer89 wrote: »
    Not sure why OP is getting so much stick, based on an unfounded assumption that they're a bunch of innocent, puppy-eyed homeless people. Maybe they are. But maybe they're not.

Maybe it's a drugs den, and maybe one of their mates, somebody's son and brother, is lying dead after an overdose and the others don't quite know what to do. Maybe Madeline McCann is in there. Maybe they're just homeless, but maybe they're not and don't abuse OP for asking - because that's all he did - whether or not the guards should know.

What is the reasoning behind this comment?

What business is it of the OP's or anyone's what is going on in there? Let your imagination run riot, mate, but whatever horrors you can dream up could be happening in any house in the country.

Kev W wrote: »
    I really hope that's supposed to be funny.

It was supposed to be a joke alright, yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

It was supposed to be a joke alright, yeah.

Thank Christ!

You never know on here sometimes!

Kev W wrote: »
    Thank Christ!

You never know on here sometimes!

I suppose all it takes is a lunatic and a box of matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I suppose all it takes is a lunatic and a box of matches.

Hee hee hee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

I would say it depends on who's there, like if they are quiet enough would be alright but if turns into a nest of junkies (before the offended brigade jumps on that word I don't call all addicts junkies but depends on the behavior) or a haunt for the rougher type of street drinker its not great (and contrary to the sometimes held view people do sh*t where they eat in terms of hastle)
    People might call you heartless but they won't be living beside it.

On the flipside a bit more squatting in Ireland would be good, it puts pressure on developers to actually put buildings to use rather than land-banking them

The problem is that there is a lot of people with problems in this country and not a lot of resources to deal with them. I would prefer to live in a society where that if someone can't be arsed doing something with an abandoned property and it's lying idle then why not turn a blind eye to people staying there? Maybe by law it's not right but morally it is.

The problem is that there is a lot of people with problems in this country and not a lot of resources to deal with them. I would prefer to live in a society where that if someone can't be arsed doing something with an abandoned property and it's lying idle then why not turn a blind eye to people staying there? Maybe by law it's not right but morally it is.

As I said it depends on the people, there is a certain lack of logic that people can completely relate to the idea that homeless hostels are often not used because they are violent place but at the same time consider that all homeless are nice people down on their luck. Only one of those things can be true. If they are the nicer type its fine but to pretend that this is a given is naive.

I agree with the latter statement but unfortunately due to Irish law and possibly the culture we don't tend to get squats that turn into community assists here like they do in some parts of Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Peregrinus wrote: »

Trespassing isn't a crime these days?

To be fair I say leave them to it. They have a roof over their heads. Gonna need it for winter.

Then why not call the Guards to every single home in the country then? A fire, assault (or worse) "could" happen anywhere, no?

It could, but there's a world of a difference in pulling someone from a basically sound but burning house and running in to a burning derelict structure in full BA kit to pull someone out.

Likewise investigating an incident in a 'settled' neighbourhood is problematic enough to investigate and impossible where there are transient residents.

In effect, in the case of most residential and occupied premises it's possible to link someone to it, through various records, giving you at least a minimal chance of progressing an investigation.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

kneemos wrote: »
    Johnny Logan was a great squatter.

One heel off the ground, back not straight, dodgy angle. Terrible squat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    One heel off the ground, back not straight, dodgy angle. Terrible squat.

But great skill to hold that pose in a very tight pair of trousers whilst singing one of his hits to an adoring audience. 10/10 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

What is the reasoning behind this comment?

What business is it of the OP's or anyone's what is going on in there? Let your imagination run riot, mate, but whatever horrors you can dream up could be happening in any house in the country.

And what's the reasoning behind attacking somebody who asked should he report this to the guards? You'd swear looking out for the public was a crime. Is it any of his business? Absolutely not, but the world would be far scarier than it is if everybody had that attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Hammer89 wrote: »

could say all the **** about any building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I was looking at that building yesterday after the match - That's up around Croker

I was looking at that building yesterday after the match - That's up around Croker

Yeah its Clonliffe Road AFAIK, to be fair if they aren't anti-social individuals they won't cause any issues as I think the two adjoining places are derelict too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

If he was homeless how does that explain what looks like a balaclava covering his face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

KingBrian2 wrote: »
    If he was homeless how does that explain what looks like a balaclava covering his face.

He wears it to keep his face warm?

• Advertisement
Advertisement