Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish tourist has a run in with some Turkish shopkeepers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Saying you'd never go to Turkey because of a street brawl in Istanbul and Islamic State attacking the border towns in the southeast is like refusing to consider Dublin as a holiday destination because of the Charlie Hebdo massacre and a video of a riot in Cardiff. Istanbul is hilariously huge, it has treble the population of this country. And the southeast of the country is hundreds of miles from the west coast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

We need to get to the bottom of this .. Is this Guy Irish ? He does not look like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Fair play to the guy in black actually, witnessing it and stepping in to try and stop it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

why do people go to these countries to have to deal with these types of people *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

why do people go to these countries to have to deal with these types of people *sigh*

Deal with what now ? Does not one find it very very suspect that bottles hitting the floor warranted the shop keeper to just go nuts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I know how he feels.

I was in Italy last week and on one of the days my daughter knocked her fork from the table on to the floor. The young waitress looked at me for a second before stepping towards us. I immediately hopped up and got myself ready to box the head off her. She knew what was coming and ducked down and picked up the fork and then backed off to the kitchen like the coward she was. I sat down and a minute later she reappeared with a new fork for my daughter. I gave her the evil eye and she nodded out of respect to me.

I left an extra 20% as a tip....wouldn't want her to think I was some kind of wierdo....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The guy should consider himself very lucky. Could have easily been stabbed to pieces.

inforfun wrote: »
    The guy should consider himself very lucky. Could have easily been stabbed to pieces.

Do the Turks have a problem with extreme violence towards tourists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

There's no way this is an Irish heavyweight professional boxer, someone would know him. A bare knuckle champ maybe.

The lad is a top prospect in the new sport of "Chip-shop Fighting", just recently launched, very similiar to UFC, but each "contestant" must kick the **** out of his (or her, we're not sexists in CSF) while holding a cod'n'chips in their right hand. He'll be known as the Turkish Terror, and 3,000 aficionados from Ireland are heading over next week for his next fixture, which will be in a kebab shop in Kusadasi, book now at www.one'n'onewarriors.com.

Not just towards tourists.
    Just in general. Gang up and tool up is what they like to do.

• Advertisement

Not just towards tourists.
    Just in general. Gang up and tool up is what they like to do.

Sadly, a search on "tourist stabbed Dublin" suggests we have a problem too, Google throws up racist attacks, attacks with bottles, killings, stabbing in the face...it's what Dubs seem to like to do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭keano25

Just reading on Twitter this morning, apparently this guy is somewhat of a hero now in Turkey for standing up to this crowd of Turks??

It kind of reminds me of when Rocky went to Russia to fight the Russian!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Victory to the kurds/Irish lad!

Never knew there were celtic fans in Turkeystan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Joe prim wrote: »
    The lad is a top prospect in the new sport of "Chip-shop Fighting", just recently launched, very similiar to UFC, but each "contestant" must kick the **** out of his (or her, we're not sexists in CSF) while holding a cod'n'chips in their right hand. He'll be known as the Turkish Terror, and 3,000 aficionados from Ireland are heading over next week for his next fixture, which will be in a kebab shop in Kusadasi, book now at www.one'n'onewarriors.com.

I was genuinely disappointed that link was'n t real :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Quadrature wrote: »
    Another city I've just crossed off my list of places to visit!

definitely

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Bambi wrote: »
    I was genuinely disappointed that link was'n t real :(

Sorry about that bro', only the cousin is using the laptop so I could'nt get the website set up until he's finished with FIFA 22, but she'll be right be lunchtime, and ye'll be able to use yer credit cards an' all inanyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It looked like he was fighting a gang of toddlers. Half a dozen lads with sticks and bats and he still walks away leaving one of the KOd.

Fair play that lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Rackstar wrote: »
    Looks more like Diego Maradona than an Irish tourist

Yeah Maradona during the cocaine years :D

It seems like this Turk thought he would mock threaten another stupid tourist, a gang of lads would "restrain" him, he would look hard for 10 seconds and the tourist would run away. Think he picked the wrong tourist on this occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

They do have a big knife culture in Turkey and Kurdistan, I was outside some nondescript club in Istanbul and saw a fella getting striped across the arse after a scrap broke out. It's certainly not a country I'd be looking for a fight in anyway.

• Advertisement

Sadly, a search on "tourist stabbed Dublin" suggests we have a problem too, Google throws up racist attacks, attacks with bottles, killings, stabbing in the face...it's what Dubs seem to like to do...

Oh yeah. I forgot.
    Cant make a statement here without getting a "whatabout" post thrown back in your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Were any bottles of water harmed in the making of this video?

Oh yeah. I forgot.
    Cant make a statement here without getting a "whatabout" post thrown back in your face.

Can't point out the irony of a fellow in Dublin complaining about how violent another group of people without getting a "but that's whataboutery" whine to gloss over the point.

When you make a statement about a people, that Turks like to gang up and stab tourists, you can hardly get annoyed when I point out that your lot do too. The problem is your gross generalisation. I merely copied it.

Can't point out the irony of a fellow in Dublin complaining about how violent another group of people without getting a "but that's whataboutery" whine to gloss over the point.

When you make a statement about a people, that Turks like to gang up and stab tourists, you can hardly get annoyed when I point out that your lot do too. The problem is your gross generalisation. I merely copied it.

I am not annoyed. Might live in Dublin, i ll never be a Dub. So your "your lot" .... cant really get excited about that.

Funny thing is though that you immediately took it as i meant it in a negative way..... but did i?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

brevity
    Well that was quite the Turkish Delight.

Omackeral
    2/10 at best.

Looks like this time brevity isn't the soul of wit...

(•_•) / ( •_•)>⌐■-■ / (⌐■_■)

1/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Same guy was on a water protest earlier in the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

Stick him on the card for UFC Fight Night Dublin in October, he'd take some stopping.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

The Turks set up a Facebook appreciation page for the chap!

https://m.facebook.com/esnafdoventurist

Kuwaiti ....

At the end of the article:
    Previously, in February, a journalist was stabbed to death by an angry shopkeeper because his snowball hit the tradesman’s window during a playful snowball fight with friends.

Fucking hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kuwaiti ....
    Kuwaiti-born, Irish citizen.

I wonder what he does to call himself a "professional" boxer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

seamus wrote: »
    Kuwaiti-born, Irish citizen.

Abdul Ward, King of the Tuareg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

BMJD wrote: »
    Them lads probably heard about us Irish not paying for water so decide to take preemptive action on him
    I think our Irish politicians better take not note. Some of the Irish will take you on for stealing the stuff that falls so often from the sky.

Well the whole thing is crazy but you do have to admire courage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

FTA69 wrote: »
    They do have a big knife culture in Turkey and Kurdistan, I was outside some nondescript club in Istanbul and saw a fella getting striped across the arse after a scrap broke out. It's certainly not a country I'd be looking for a fight in anyway.
    TURKISH REVENGE...

In Turkey, if you stab someone above the waist, it is considered an attempt at murder.

To bypass the charge, but also teach someone a lesson, a Turkish Revenge is when someone is stabbed below the belt.

"...you can stab or shoot somebody below the waist but not above because that's intent to kill. So everyone runs around stabbing everyone else in the ass. That's what they call Turkish revenge." Billy Hayes, Midnight Express

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The Turks set up a Facebook appreciation page for the chap!

https://m.facebook.com/esnafdoventurist

LOL

It is a beautiful city alright. The last time i flew with Turkish Airlines their inflight magazine claimed that they get 12.5 million tourists a year. More than New York city, so it obviously has something going for it. Not a place I'd like to be caught out in though. I remember Leeds played Gala in a semi final and some Leeds fans being stabbed to death. The news reports of the Turkish fans was crazy. Proper nutters.

A few years ago Darius Vassell signed for Ankaragucu and thousands of fans waited at the airport for his arrival, letting off dozens of flares. Different breed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

And this is going round my head rewatching that video :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If he was fighting the good fight against the rise of Freddo & Chomp prices he'd have my support.

• Advertisement

It is a beautiful city alright. The last time i flew with Turkish Airlines their inflight magazine claimed that they get 12.5 million tourists a year. More than New York city, so it obviously has something going for it. Not a place I'd like to be caught out in though. I remember Leeds played Gala in a semi final and some Leeds fans being stabbed to death. The news reports of the Turkish fans was crazy. Proper nutters.

A few years ago Darius Vassell signed for Ankaragucu and thousands of fans waited at the airport for his arrival, letting off dozens of flares. Different breed.

Did Darius turn out to be the Messiah.

You would be wondering what your agent had got you into mind.

no way
    the scumbag population of Dublin is what?
    20-25%

but if this incident is anything to go by
    and supposelly respectable honest traders like these in the video, behave like that, then it is fair to say that most of the population of the city might be Psychos

so if 1 in 5 of dublin citizens are Psychos & Junkies compared with perhaps 80% in istanbul (4 in 5)
    i would take my chances in Dublin

plus here the prison guards won't assault you unlike turkey [midnight express] if you do end up in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

lanos wrote: »
    no way
    20-25%

Seriously?

1 in 5 or 1 in 4 Dubs are scumbags?
    Get a fecking grip. Even by boards hysterics that is pure hyperbole.

no way
    20-25%

:pac:

no way
    20-25%

but if this incident is anything to go by
    and supposelly respectable honest traders like these in the video, behave like that, then it is fair to say that most of the population of the city might be Psychos

so if 1 in 5 of dublin citizens are Psychos & Junkies compared with perhaps 80% in istanbul (4 in 5)
    i would take my chances in Dublin

plus here the prison guards won't assault you unlike turkey [midnight express] if you do end up in trouble.

I have taken your figures and factored in the fact that the population in Dublin is controlled by good decent Gardai from the country, so I am putting the scumbag percentage there down as 36.78%, but the numbers that get to act out their violent tendencies could be as low as 19.87%

I have taken your figures and factored in the fact that the population in Dublin is controlled by good decent Gardai from the country
    Good decent country Gardai won't put up with any jackeen nonsense. Turkey take note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Good to see we are making friends abroad anyway!

did nothing wrong - pounced upon by a gang of bullies , stood his ground - fair play - despise pack mentality bullies, and don't need friends like that

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Omackeral wrote: »
    2/10 at best.

That's generous,i almost cromited(cringe vomit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone find out if he actually was Irish ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Léan wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks he looks like Kenny Powers?

I think he looks like George Hamilton after a feed of kebabs and beer.

Advertisement