Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the irish scene is falling apart, how can we make it better?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I was going to ask if it would be out of the question to play one or two people online during one of your meets? Literally a match or two since I wouldn't want it to disrupt the social element of the meet.

Pretty much.

People travel and pay to be there, and there are limited setups we couldn't be having online matches in fairness.

Find your local SF community, or commit to a dublin event for one day. One day in 3 months wouldn't be a huge amount, and being there in the flesh is the heart of the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

It's difficult for some people to travel even that often and couple that with a non-existent local scene (at least where I am) means it's tough for some people to get any gametime in person.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

OdgeXD wrote: »
    It's difficult for some people to travel even that often and couple that with a non-existent local scene (at least where I am) means it's tough for some people to get any gametime in person.

That's not really his point.

Why would someone go to casuals to play someone online when they can just do it from home anyway? You go to casuals to hang and play locally. That's why you're there!

Like if someone wants to play me online just ask, I'll put an hour or two aside. I'm not doing it when I'm at a casual session though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

That's not really his point.

Why would someone go to casuals to play someone online when they can just do it from home anyway?

Lag

Most fgs have terrible online play

******* lag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Anyway back to the heart of the thread..

I hear of a comic shop which runs a comic market the first sat of every month in a hotel nearby. Near georges street.
    Its been recommended to me as both a place to find players and a potential venue.

Im gonna try swing by and find out whats up whe I can.

As for growing the scene does any one have anymore suggestions??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭SuperChar

I'll play some games whenever there is some to play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

As for growing the scene does any one have anymore suggestions??

Ok, this is massively far-fetched and would be a nightmare to run, but in theory I think it would be a great way to bring together more players.

Have a tourny where ALL players enter, regardless of their game of choice. When you're drawn against someone, you play one set on the game of your choice, one set on the game of their choice, then (if necessary) a deciding set on a game of random (or mutual) choice.

Pros
    It means that all the little sub-groups in our scene actually mix for once.
    It will give opportunity to the other guys who play the less popular games.
    It will give reward to the players who are good at all games (these are generally the guys who are good for the scene anyway).
    Winner can claim to be THE man :cool:
    Single tourny means greater prize pot

Cons
    Nightmare to run, though with clever rotation might not be so bad
    Would be LONG if the bracket is big. Single elim if necessary
    Would likely lead to a lot of scrubby matches when people are not playing main game, but that would be part of the fun I guess!

So yeah, it's a bit idealistic and hypothetical. But I'd enter for sure, and I reckon a lot of others would too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm up for that >:3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Beat everyone at a dead game you like and make them want to pick in up for payback. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

As long as we included Melee in the Anima-eXpo I'm down with it :P

• Advertisement

The problem with that is that what if 2 people want to play the same game,that sort of defeats the porpose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

As long as we included Melee in the Anima-eXpo I'm down with it :P

Haha, beautiful play on words! Thumbs up :D

@SuperChar: yeah, thats likely. But then we just have two people playing their favourite game competitively, no harm in that.

SuperChar wrote: »
    The problem with that is that what if 2 people want to play the same game,that sort of defeats the porpose

Game of choice decided per person beforehand, mirror game match results in random selection from the rest of the pool. :pac:

animaX wrote: »
    Haha, beautiful play on words! Thumbs up :D

@SuperChar: yeah, thats likely. But then we just have two people playing their favourite game competitively, no harm in that.

I can see what you mean and respect that but the point was to bring the different sub-groups together and cuz theres a raffle to see whos against who,you could have to SF players and all they play is SF but it would be good to watch

Game of choice decided per person beforehand, mirror game match results in random selection from the rest of the pool. :pac:

Yeah but if two people both play SF for example tharts the only thing there going to play cuz they know there good at it and it gives them a better chance of winning

SuperChar wrote: »
    Yeah but if two people both play SF for example tharts the only thing there going to play cuz they know there good at it and it gives them a better chance of winning

Uh, not to sound rude but did you read what you quoted?

The suggestion was to have a random game played in the event of mirror game selection, so somebody is always out of their comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

PicardDoubleFacepalm.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

The future is orange

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

This thread is funny. I need to check the forums more and not just the ones I get emails for :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Hey there. Starting in September I'm going to be running a a sort of Home Arcade night in Thomas house on Thomas street every Thursday. The idea is to get a load of old consoles set up in the venue and its free entry. There will be a selection of games and a tournament (very casual) every night it's on. Our first tourney is King Of Fighters 2002. I would gladly set up a table for those of you looking to play competition style. Someone else would have to look after it though so if anyone is interested get in touch. The event thread is up in The Arcade and Retro forum if you are interested.

Gar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

>King of Fighters 2002

You got this Cobelcog.

Meep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

fffffFFFFFFFFFFff

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Just wait till Dive Kick is available I guess.

That should allow everyone to play, right?

Advertisement