Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 8GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot 42 eur

Options
  • 25-01-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭

Very highly regarded MP3 player and normally amazon don't allow these to be shipped to Ireland but mine just dispatched :D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Sansa-Player-Expandable-MicroSD/dp/tech-data/B002NX0ME6/ref=de_a_smtd

Product Features

8 GB memory
    Digital FM-tuner with 40 preset radio stations
    Extendable microSD/microSDHC card slot

Great audio quality in MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC formats, plus audio books
    Expandable microSD or microSDHC memory card slot
    Ready for slotRadio and slotMusic cards
    Built-in clip for easy carrying
    Digital FM tuner and built-in voice recorder

Technical Details

Battery Life: Rechargeable, lasts up to 15 hours
    USB 2.0: Yes
    Capacity: 8GB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

Love the oul Friday bargain alerts, just ordered one as a treat for meself.

thanks OP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

****ing excellent little player this, had mine for ages. it's soooooooo tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thomas01

I was already looking at buying this. It has been at that price for ages now. There is a new version of SanDisk player released, so the price is only going down http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Clip-Zip-Player-Radio/dp/B005LFSZQA/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1359119825&sr=1-5

There doesn't appear to be much functional difference between the newer and older model. The newer model has a colour screen and stop watch, both of which I can live without. If anyone does buy it, change the sound setting from European. The European setting has a sound restriction which is supposed to be a pain if your using it in a gym or running outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭jacool

Can I be the first person to slate this particular option, and berate the OP, without reasoning, other than I am in a bad mood and I want to vent somewhere?
    I just want to get in early, ahead of the others :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

jacool wrote: »
    Can I be the first person to slate this particular option, and berate the OP, without reasoning, other than I am in a bad mood and I want to vent somewhere?
    I just want to get in early, ahead of the others :)

NO ! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

thomas01 wrote: »
    The European setting has a sound restriction which is supposed to be a pain if your using it in a gym or running outside.

Can be changed by resetting the player and changing the region to Rest of the World according to the Google box.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

A better option is the 4gb black or red for £28 and a separate micro SD card. Can get a 8gb for < £5 on amazon with free delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

....There doesn't appear to be much functional difference between the newer and older model. The newer model has a colour screen and stop watch,....

Also the newer ZIP has micro-USB connector same as mobile phones.

The Clip+ in this offer has a mini USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

You can install the custom firmware called 'Rockbox' on this and the newer version, the clip zip. It allows for FLAC playback, among other features. I had a clip+ for years, the headphone jack eventually broke from overuse, and now I'm using a clip zip, with a 64gb micro sd.

Head phones tend to go loose over time.

This guy repaired it. Must try this with mine. or glue an extension into the socket.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538544/clip-fixing-jack-and-broken-volume-control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dlm

blobbie wrote: »
    A better option is the 4gb black or red for £28 and a separate micro SD card. Can get a 8gb for < £5 on amazon with free delivery.

Just went direct to MyMemory site and got the slightly updated Sandisk Clip Zip Black 4GB for £25.61+£1.95 shipping

Voucher for 5% off: VC5

TPD wrote: »
    You can install the custom firmware called 'Rockbox' on this and the newer version, the clip zip. It allows for FLAC playback, among other features. I had a clip+ for years, the headphone jack eventually broke from overuse, and now I'm using a clip zip, with a 64gb micro sd.

i dont have mine flashed and it plays flac fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Maybe it's APE I'm thinking of. It's worth looking into anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

TPD wrote: »

http://www.rockbox.org/

Rockbox is so much more than just .flac. I store my music as .flac & .cue. I use Rockbox mainly because of that. There's also .m4a (Apple) support, which Sansa were playing silly sods with, for a while. (removing support for the format).

Worth mooching about on eBay for official refurbs of the (colour screen) Clip Zip, lower price than the OPs bargain. Nothing wrong with the hardware mind, long time Sansa Clip user here.

Just a final tip. Think of keeping your player inside your jacket during rain, with the clip, it is tempting to keep the player on a lapel, t-shirt neckline etc.. The OLED display is very sensitive to moisture and you'll end up with a messed up display if it gets moisture\liquid, on it\behind it.

Curious boards.ie users might think of dropping into:

> boards.ie > Tech > Consumer Electronics > Headphones & Portable Audio Devices

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=624

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks OP, I was looking at this little player a few years ago and at the time Amazon were not shipping it to Ireland. Glad they copped on a bit since then, just ordered the 8Gb version and an additional 8Gb Micro SD card.
    I know there are perhaps better players out there but at this price and given the glowing reviews it gets I'm happy with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

I've had one of these for 4 years now. The sound quality is excellent and aside from crashing on the odd Ogg Vorbis track, it's a superb player - much more reliable and robust that the Cowon iAudio that I previously owned.
    If anyone does buy it, change the sound setting from European. The European setting has a sound restriction which is supposed to be a pain if your using it in a gym or running outside.

Ah! That explains why it's so quiet. I always thought it was a hardware limitation. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Adding my praise for this. It's about the size of a matchbox but sounds great. I have a 32gb Class 10 MicroSD in it and bring it everywhere.

It has a couple of idiosyncrasies (some menu options that don't do anything, a weird go-list, and a library refresh that often runs when it doesn't need to after a charge) but the EQ, navigation, compatibility and expansion make it well worth owning if you're looking for a music player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Couple of questions before I buy, any help much appreciated...

1. When using this, is all the music loaded into the one library list, like if I go into Albums will I see everything on the SD card and on the on board memory together in a list or is there seperate sections for both?

2. Can it record FM Radio?

3. Does it sort your albums based on folder structure or ID3 tags (As in if I put Marilyn Manson and U2 into a folder called 'Random' and drag it to this player, will an album called Random appear in the list with MM and U2 songs in it, or will an MM and a U2 album appear if you know what I mean)

Thanks, been using this brick for about 5 years and its falling apart after being dropped so much, best player I ever had though, and still great, might just track down a refurb somewhere actually:

3060000000057301.JPG?0.7863158998228492

1)

if you go to artists/albums view it shows everything afaik, but you can go into folder view either and it will seperate between internal and sd card storage

you might be able to seperate them in artists/albums view too.. but im not sure, dont have an sd card so never looked

2)
    yeah

3) id3 tags, although there is a folder view in the menu as well

Perfect, thanks.

• Advertisement

How's the battery life by the way?

not exactly sure as I usually only use it for an hour or two every other day, i'd guess 15-20 hours?

--edit

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Sansa-Clip-Sansa-Clip/How-is-your-Sansa-Clip-battery-life/td-p/19825/page/24
    guess it depends on what you're listening to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Thargor wrote: »

1. When using this, is all the music loaded into the one library list, like if I go into Albums will I see everything on the SD card and on the on board memory together in a list or is there seperate sections for both?

You can view all artists/albums/songs on the device and the card, but you can also view by folder.

Yes but there's a clicking sound throughout playback. It's a known issue and I'm not sure if it's been fixed.

3. Does it sort your albums based on folder structure or ID3 tags (As in if I put Marilyn Manson and U2 into a folder called 'Random' and drag it to this player, will an album called Random appear in the list with MM and U2 songs in it, or will an MM and a U2 album appear if you know what I mean)

Uses ID3 (so you'd see an entry for U2 and Marily Manson, and separate albums for each) but as above, you can view by folder if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Adding my praise for this. It's about the size of a matchbox but sounds great. I have a 32gb Class 10 MicroSD in it and bring it everywhere.

It has a couple of idiosyncrasies (some menu options that don't do anything, a weird go-list, and a library refresh that often runs when it doesn't need to after a charge) but the EQ, navigation, compatibility and expansion make it well worth owning if you're looking for a music player.

I get a media refresh after disconnecting post charge but the other idiosyncrasies are more likely to be card related - the clip+ supports a 32GB (Class 2 & 4) Max and a recommended MP3/WMA card limit of 16GB:

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/200/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzU5MzY3NDUyL3NpZC9mdTM4ZXFobA%3D%3D

It's a wonderful player - great sound, simple interface and EQ, plenty of space for a massive library even in FLAC with 16GB (8GB card), variable speed audiobook/podcast mode and recorder (voice/radio). The radio occasionally requires manual fine tuning on the move but up to 40 presets available. Small but securely held with the spring loaded clip

A handy custom silicone skin (for the OP's version) particularly for fingernail operation - under €4 delivered.

battery life is about 10 hours in real-world use imo. it's the main weak point, along with weak radio reception (ok in Dublin but not great outside). Still wholeheartedly recommend it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

glasso wrote: »
    battery life is about 10 hours in real-world use imo. it's the main weak point, along with weak radio reception (ok in Dublin but not great outside). Still wholeheartedly recommend it though.

I would agree with this.

I have had one for about 18 months and it is brilliant. 8gb on board and 8gb SD card gives me more than enough storage. Radio is a little weak but fine most of the time and battery life is 10-12 hours.

The best bit is that it is so small and light and virtually indestructible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'm on my third one of these. Broke one, lost one, still using the other. Very good little player, well worth it at that price. The only gripe I had was the clip breaks very easily but as regards performance, it's well up there. Battery life is good IMO, certainly a lot better than some of the top brands, sound is good, I use it for audiobooks and it can pause and restart automatically where it left off. Definitely recommended.

Yes. It shows one library and folder list. Its combined. Well for ID3 tags

Yes. Reception in the radio is the weak point for me. For me its not great for a radio. We've two of them and they are both the same. Weak reception, and weaker stations you can't get at all. My sony MP3 is vastly better for radio. Still the clip is ok for getting the news on the main channels etc. Reception is quite poor though.

You can use tags or folders. Folders separates the library between Internal and External memory.

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'm on my third one of these. Broke one, lost one, still using the other. Very good little player, well worth it at that price. The only gripe I had was the clip breaks very easily but as regards performance, it's well up there. Battery life is good IMO, certainly a lot better than some of the top brands, sound is good, I use it for audiobooks and it can pause and restart automatically where it left off. Definitely recommended.

I find the battery ok and as its standard mini USB most things can charge it.

The clip broke on one of ours. On both of them the jack is started to go loose after about 2yrs. I going to attempt to open and see if I can adjust the contacts to make it tighter. I might just get the replacement one, the newer Zip to get the phone standard micro USB port.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

So bit of a bump. I'd read this thread and forgot to get one. My ipod nano 4gen recently died after years of trojan service but I didn't fancy spending 100+ replacing it.
    The item in the OP is still available, worked out at E44 but still good value.

Advertisement