Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 NFL DRAFT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Molly wrote: »
    A lot of people saying he'll be moved to safety in the NFL.
    Think I said that myself earlier on in this thread, but thinking back on it now it would be a big gamble to draft a guy who hasn't played for a year and hasn't played at safety at college level (as far as I know)! It would really be a long term project, I'd say! He does have a good skill set to play safety though!

@D3PO
    His lack of talent/size as a cover corner could be a bigger obstacle than his character! However up until he got kicked out of LSU I seem some mock drafts having him go in the top 10 so I may be wrong there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,401 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Syferus wrote: »
    It's amazing you can even attempt the emoticons after what Tebow did in the one chance he got to be a starter. Just because the Jets are a rudderless circus it doesn't mean anything's changed since the 2011 season as regards Tebow.

Oh, well. Thanks for proving the value of intangibles to a team, it makes my case easier to make.

Don't derail a 2013 draft thread by starting a Tebow discussion, though.

Tebow's busto dude. Will never start at QB in the NFL again. He'll probably be out of the league in a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Now that Lewan and Matthews are staying in school, who do you think is the number 2 Tackle in the draft now? where might that player go in round 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Now that Lewan and Matthews are staying in school, who do you think is the number 2 Tackle in the draft now? where might that player go in round 1?

Fisher #2 tackle imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tebow led a team to the playoffs so I don't think you can consider him a failure regardless of what he does from here on.
    Te'o being put out of the first round by a lot of you is laughable. He wasn't alone being manhandled in that game. Its very hard to perform at your level when nobody around you is.

And don't underestimate leadership qualities. If three players have the very same talent the guy with the leadership qualities will go a long way ahead of the other two.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Tebow's busto dude. Will never start at QB in the NFL again. He'll probably be out of the league in a couple of years.

Probably be a Jag next year and start a few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Crap news for us bear fans, as means there is one less O line on the board ahead. Means Eric fisher, who i really like, will possibly go higher

Cardinals really suffer here IMO. I think they'd have picked up and were probably banking on Lewan at 7 but Joekecel won't fall that far and Matthews is going back to college.
    D3PO wrote: »
    Very surprising. Mind you Michigan aren't far from being genuine BCS title game contenders next season. Maybe he figures they will have a really good shot at it and you cant really argue with that.

In a game such as football I wouldn't take the risk. I'd have taken the money and ran. One bad turn or unlucky fall etc next year and that might be that for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

How high up do people thing Barrett Jones will go? Would love him to drop to the Ravens, is that highly unlikely?

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    How high up do people thing Barrett Jones will go? Would love him to drop to the Ravens, is that highly unlikely?

I think his admission that he played with the lisfranc injury and now needs surgery may see him drop further than he should. The thing about him is he can play anywhere across the O-line really so will be an attractive proposition for many teams.

I think he goes around 20th, possibly sliding to around 25th.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears take him at 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Paully D wrote: »
    I think his admission that he played with the lisfranc injury and now needs surgery may see him drop further than he should. The thing about him is he can play anywhere across the O-line really so will be an attractive proposition for many teams.

I'd like to see the Bears take him at 20 tbh. I probably would have liked Fisher, but he won't make it that far now and is more a risk anyway, but I'd like Jones and a FA left tackle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He won't get by the Colts!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

What do you guys think of this trade. Make sense?? Guess it depends on where Seahawks 1st round pick finally falls but.... they flog Matt Flynn to the Jets, exchange 1st round picks and pick up a 5th round pick too. They'd quite possibly have their choice of a Hankins/Richardson or Warmack.

To me it's going to be really interesting to see how the draft gets affected by Alex Smith, Flynn and Vick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    What do you guys think of this trade. Make sense?? Guess it depends on where Seahawks 1st round pick finally falls but.... they flog Matt Flynn to the Jets, exchange 1st round picks and pick up a 5th round pick too. They'd quite possibly have their choice of a Hankins/Richardson or Warmack.

To me it's going to be really interesting to see how the draft gets affected by Alex Smith, Flynn and Vick.

Why would the Jets give up a first rounder ? It's a buyers market. Matt Flynn got that contract based on pretty much one game last season.
    I'd reckon Smith would be likely to wind up somewhere like the Jets. He's proven that he can throw the ball to his receivers which is a considerable step up from the current crop.

The less said about Vick the better. I don't know why a team would pay him to be anything more then a backup. Vikings maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The Jets can't afford another QB it's just not feasible. They'll cut Tebow and take their chances in the later rounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Why would the Jets give up a first rounder ? It's a buyers market.

Its not really. Theres two / three bona fide starting options available outside of the draft Flynn, Smith & Vick (arguably)

If they cant get Smith then a deal for Flynn is a genuine runner and the Seahawks will not take anything other than at least a first rounder for him. Any team wanting him will have to pay that as a min price.

Its plausible, I dont think he will go to the Jets but you cant discount it. Tebow is to be cut, Sanchez will be made restructure his deal or be cut IMO. Im not sure how much of his contract is garanteed but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and Im pretty sure that will happen.

• Advertisement

Its not really. Theres two / three bona fide starting options available outside of the draft Flynn, Smith & Vick (arguably)

If they cant get Smith then a deal for Flynn is a genuine runner and the Seahawks will not take anything other than at least a first rounder for him. Any team wanting him will have to pay that as a min price.

Its plausible, I dont think he will go to the Jets but you cant discount it. Tebow is to be cut, Sanchez will be made restructure his deal or be cut IMO. Im not sure how much of his contract is garanteed but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and Im pretty sure that will happen.
    You have it all wrong. In Flynn's and Smith's cases its a buyer's market as they both want rid because they don't want to pay big money to a backup.

eagle eye wrote: »
    You have it all wrong. In Flynn's and Smith's cases its a buyer's market as they both want rid because they don't want to pay big money to a backup.

Nobody wants to pay a backup huge money but your mistaken if you think they both desperatly want rid at any cost

Wilsons contract is small enough as is Kapernicks that they wont be forced into making bad deals. Its not ideal to have cap space used on backups but you wont see them bite any old deal off.

(Actually not sure if Smiths becomes an FA this year or not, something tells me he might but too lazy to check)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 DBBacker

Nobody wants to pay a backup huge money but your mistaken if you think they both desperatly want rid at any cost

Wilsons contract is small enough as is Kapernicks that they wont be forced into making bad deals. Its not ideal to have cap space used on backups but you wont see them bite any old deal off.

(Actually not sure if Smiths becomes an FA this year or not, something tells me he might but too lazy to check)

Smith signed a new 3 year deal last March. All explained here including what happens if they trade him or cut him:

http://www.ninersnation.com/2012/12/11/3752556/alex-smith-contract-trade-release-colin-kaepernick

Its not Wilson or Kaepernick that we are talking about.
    Its you that is mistaken if you think they are going to pay out huge signing bonuses for backups.

Why would they want to tie up money in 2nd string QB's?

Both will want to get rid of both players.

• Advertisement

I'd say a third and seventh round pick would get you Flynn / Smith. Something around there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

SF owe Alex Smith $7.5million if he is on the roster on April 1st so I would imagine a 3rd round pick would get him for sure. They may decide to just cut him in the off-season as he will be owed a roster bouns of $1million once the new league year starts.

Either way he'll be gone by April I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Two years ago and no one would have touched smith, now I have about 12 teams that will at least think about it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He was a Free Agent in the off season and when the 49ers were looking at Peyton Manning the only team to take a look at Smith were the Dolphins.

Not sure how serious Alex was about a move though.

adrian522 wrote: »
    SF owe Alex Smith $7.5million if he is on the roster on April 1st so I would imagine a 3rd round pick would get him for sure. They may decide to just cut him in the off-season as he will be owed a roster bouns of $1million once the new league year starts.

Either way he'll be gone by April I'd imagine.
    And Flynn is owed $2 million so he will be gone before then too.

As it stands imo there are three teams that desperately need a change at QB. They are the Chiefs, Jags and Jets.

After that you have teams who most likely would prefer a change and they are the Bills, Browns and Raiders.

After those six I think the other teams who might like to change things will be willing to gamble in the 2nd. 3rd, 4th rounds of the draft to find a bargain.

You have Vick, Smith and Flynn as the three that will attract interest. There is also Hasselbeck who is unlikely to be in Tennessee next season. He would be a good stopgap for some team willing to develop a draft prospect.

In the draft I don't see anybody going early but the last two years have shown us that starters can be found outside the first round with Wilson, Dalton and Locker all starting this season.

In the draft I don't see anybody going early but the last two years have shown us that starters can be found outside the first round with Wilson, Dalton and Locker all starting this season.

Those QBs came from much stronger classes. I don't feel good about any QB in this draft to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭J. Football

When Mike Glennon is the top QB on some people's draft boards, you know it's a bad class. Personally, I still think Barkley is by some distance the best QB in the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Heffo001

Paully D wrote: »

I could definitely see him going later than that. I reckon he will go late first or fall into the second round with the possibility of being last years Peter Konz. His versatility may help him go higher but his injury combined with his performances being a bit lower than expected this year could lead him to really slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Heffo001

Those QBs came from much stronger classes. I don't feel good about any QB in this draft to be perfectly honest.

I agree with what you're saying in terms of the top of the draft, I wouldn't be comfortable with my team picking any of the available QBs with the first few picks of the draft.

But I do think there is some really good depth in this QB class. Assuming Barkley and Smith go relatively high (either could slide) there are a number of prospects who could go high with a good off season or at least be good developmental options in rounds 2 - 4. You've got Glennon, Wilson, Bray, Nassib, Dysert, Emmanuel, Jones and probably a few more guys that I'm missing.

When Mike Glennon is the top QB on some people's draft boards, you know it's a bad class. Personally, I still think Barkley is by some distance the best QB in the draft.
    I agree about Barkley, I think he will do well in the NFL too.

There are a few who could be good but its very hard to judge them. I like Zac Dysert and Alex Carder, I think they are worth taking late in teh draft.

Another guy that interests me is Brad Sorensen. He has the arm, he has good pocket presence and awareness. He played for Southern Utah so he wouldn't be in limelight at any stage. He never had a good offensive line in front of him and because of that his completion percentage may have suffered a bit. He has his weaknesses but I think they maybe all be attributed to being hurried to get the rid of the ball. I just think he has a great head for the game and I'm interested to see if he moves up boards as the scouts study tape on him.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 DBBacker

Another guy that interests me is Brad Sorensen.

Sorensen and Colby Cameron from Louisiana Tech are creeping up many lists at the moment. A good combine for both will increase their stock more.

Anyone think Geno Smith can have a similar impact to Kaepernick in the NFL?

Smith is nowhere near Kaepernick on the ground. He's a pure passer, not a dual threat QB at all which is why Kap is so dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Smith is nowhere near Kaepernick on the ground. He's a pure passer, not a dual threat QB at all which is why Kap is so dangerous.

I knew you would get Geno Smith so many have put him down as a Dual Threat QB because of his athleticism. Many including certain folk who I have debated with before on here don't know the difference. They see the athletic ability and think dual threat straight away.

TO. wrote: »
    I knew you would get Geno Smith so many have put him down as a Dual Threat QB because of his athleticism. Many including certain folk who I have debated with before on here don't know the difference. They see the athletic ability and think dual threat straight away.

To be frank, many people see his skin colour and can't tell the difference.

Lets put it this way - Tom Brady has more rushing yards per carry in his pro career than Geno Smith has in his college career.

Yeah and at that he is a pure passer when he gets lots of time, any pressure and he is awful. I don't see any way he will be successful in the pro game.

Yeah and at that he is a pure passer when he gets lots of time, any pressure and he is awful. I don't see any way he will be successful in the pro game.

Its funny you say that about Smith when Barkley who you think will do better fell on the same sword you claim Smith fell on. Barkley fell apart under pressure in his final season with USC. Barkley in seasons previous was touted for how calm and collective he was in the pocket and how he avoided the rush. But it just didn't happen for him the season gone.

My point is the same things said about Barkley in 2011 were said about Smith in 2012 when it came to avoiding the rush and staying calm. In fact what both of them shared is they both have a tendency to throw in tight windows and force throws when pressured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

With the doubt surrounding the quarterbacks in the draft what do people think the Chiefs will do? I was all for them taking Geno Smith (n it cud still happen if he performs well at combine etc.) but if not what will the do?

I see Luke Joeckel n Star Lotulelei as prob the 2 top players on the Board at this stage. Could they engineer a trade with Philly or Detroit if Joeckel becomes the clear number 1 choice. They could then take Smith (or possibly Tyler Wilson who is growing on me) at 4 or 5 and have couple extra picks?

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    With the doubt surrounding the quarterbacks in the draft what do people think the Chiefs will do? I was all for them taking Geno Smith (n it cud still happen if he performs well at combine etc.) but if not what will the do?

I see Luke Joeckel n Star Lotulelei as prob the 2 top players on the Board at this stage. Could they engineer a trade with Philly or Detroit if Joeckel becomes the clear number 1 choice. They could then take Smith (or possibly Tyler Wilson who is growing on me) at 4 or 5 and have couple extra picks?
    The Chiefs have to take Joeckel I think. They have a horrendous OL and left tackle is the first spot they have to fill. They can look to pick up a developmental prospect in the later rounds at QB. I think it would be crazy for them to go with a QB that high up even if they traded down a couple of spots.

Michael Vick, Alex Smith and Matt Flynn will all be on the market and I think they would be much better to go that route with their franchise left tackle in place.

No available QB is worth an overall no.1 pick this year.

Take a Franchise Left Tackle and whoever ends up playing QB there will benefit for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

The Chiefs have to take Joeckel I think. They have a horrendous OL and left tackle is the first spot they have to fill.

I dont watch the Chiefs a lot but dont they have a pretty good O line if they resign Albert?

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I dont watch the Chiefs a lot but dont they have a pretty good O line if they resign Albert?

No, their O Line was an absolute disaster this year.

HigginsJ wrote: »

I dont see the Eagles moving up. With Jason Peters back next season no mad need to mvoe up for Joeckel especially with the OT talent on the board. They are unlikely to go DE in round one so wont move up for Lotulelei. In fact if anything I see the Eagles looking to move down the board rather than up.

No, their O Line was an absolute disaster this year.

Imagine waht Jamal Charles could do with a half decent line in front of him.

• Advertisement

I dont see the Eagles moving up. With Jason Peters back next season no mad need to mvoe up for Joeckel especially with the OT talent on the board. They are unlikely to go DE in round one so wont move up for Lotulelei. In fact if anything I see the Eagles looking to move down the board rather than up.
    Peters is getting on a bit and he may not be the same after injury even if he does come back pop joeckel to rt and herrimans back in to rg and you have an elite line and a young stud tackle we can pop over to lt later if we want

Similarly we're sorted at end IMO but star is a tackle Jenkins has been hot and cold and iv heard his attitude leaves a lot to be desired with star and cox we potentially have 10 years of close to the best interior line in football like the vikes did with the Williams wall for a while
    This has multiple benifits
    1. Kendricks can blitz unblocked
    2. Our lbs don't have to fight traffic if a rb does manage to get to the second level
    3. The qb will find it impossible to get in rythem with graham and cox collapsing the pocket

I wouldn't mind trading down if we get a good deal but both of these guys are ment to be studs and its hard to say no to that.

Peters is getting on a bit and he may not be the same after injury even if he does come back pop joeckel to rt and herrimans back in to rg and you have an elite line and a young stud tackle we can pop over to lt later if we want

Similarly we're sorted at end IMO but star is a tackle Jenkins has been hot and cold and iv heard his attitude leaves a lot to be desired with star and cox we potentially have 10 years of close to the best interior line in football like the vikes did with the Williams wall for a while
    This has multiple benifits
    1. Kendricks can blitz unblocked
    2. Our lbs don't have to fight traffic if a rb does manage to get to the second level
    3. The qb will find it impossible to get in rythem with graham and cox collapsing the pocket

I wouldn't mind trading down if we get a good deal but both of these guys are ment to be studs and its hard to say no to that.

you make a compelling argument. Theres enough quality tackles on the board not to move up for Joeckel though and still be set there if we so wish. Pity Matthews hasnt declared :(

I think he is a stud (Joeckel) but Im not overly sold on Star as a #1 pick if Im being honest .

For me Id like to see us trade down a few spots pick up Ogletree accumulate maybe a second rounder, and see how Peters goes next season

Who is going to trade up. I think as much the Eagles can afford to move down the Jags and Raiders could as well. They have lots of needs and could use more picks.

Why do people have KC taking Geno Smith at #1. That's madness. I don't think any QB is worth a first round pick in this class. More and more mocks have Smith at the top of the board.

Why do people have KC taking Geno Smith at #1. That's madness. I don't think any QB is worth a first round pick in this class. More and more mocks have Smith at the top of the board.

Plenty of people do but isnt that the insanity of NFL drafts. Personally I don't think any of the QBs in the draft are worthy first round picks. But I can see 3 maybe for of them getting drafted in the 1st round.

Who is going to trade up. I think as much the Eagles can afford to move down the Jags and Raiders could as well. They have lots of needs and could use more picks.

I dont think anymody will trade up. Doesnt mean I cant wish for it though :)

Kansas taking Smith would be a farce. They have to take Star or Joeckel IMO

• Advertisement
Advertisement