Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2013 NFL DRAFT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭theRB

dont think so unless he really blows tonight and another qb rocks a bowl/the combine i think he going number one

It's already over, he was 16/24 for 187 2 TDs and 0 INT, hard to see anyone else going ahead of him at QB.

theRB wrote: »
    It's already over, he was 16/24 for 187 2 TDs and 0 INT, hard to see anyone else going ahead of him at QB.

ya although rg3 flew up draft boards in the last few months last year so well see i think genos going no 1 though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

ya although rg3 flew up draft boards in the last few months last year so well see i think genos going no 1 though

I think we could see a draft without any QBs in the first round. The free agency is going to be flooded with capable QB's, like Smith and Flynn, and even Tebow and possibly Vick. I'm not sure Cousins will want to play second fiddle at Washington either.
    Meanwhile you've got a very unproven Smith and Barkley whose stock has plummeted. Why would you pick those guys except maybe as a back up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

davyjose wrote: »
    I think we could see a draft without any QBs in the first round. The free agency is going to be flooded with capable QB's, like Smith and Flynn, and even Tebow and possibly Vick. I'm not sure Cousins will want to play second fiddle at Washington either.
    Meanwhile you've got a very unproven Smith and Barkley whose stock has plummeted. Why would you pick those guys except maybe as a back up?

Teams need QB's. Headcoaches n GM's need to find face of franchise. If Gabbert, Locker, Weedon can be 1st round QB's so can Smith, Barkley N Wilson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Arizona should trade a 2nd rounder for smith and then trade their 1st pick and their 1st or 2nd next year to kc/jags/raiders and take joeckel. Their entire franchise would become relevant

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Teams need QB's. Headcoaches n GM's need to find face of franchise. If Gabbert, Locker, Weedon can be 1st round QB's so can Smith, Barkley N Wilson

But it's worth the risk to let those guys fall to the 2nd. There are plenty of QBs with a more proven ability to play in the NFL than any of the draftees IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

But it's worth the risk to let those guys fall to the 2nd. There are plenty of QBs with a more proven ability to play in the NFL than any of the draftees IMO.

Too many teams will get itchy and pull the trigger. 3 to 5 QB's will go in the 1st depending on how Glennon n Nassib show at combine

Arizona should trade a 2nd rounder for smith and then trade their 1st pick and their 1st or 2nd next year to kc/jags/raiders and take joeckel. Their entire franchise would become relevant
    eagles would jump at the chance to trade back for 2 1sts or a 1st and a 2nd and i think joeckel will still be there at 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Robert Woods from USC will be entering the draft.

Glennon will probably be taken 1st out of all the QB's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Glennon will probably be taken 1st out of all the QB's.
    I thought he was poor tonight, he threw two real bad ints. I think he is ok but not exceptional and I don't think he is going to be a starter at the NFL level. I don't think he is even in the top 5 QBs in this draft although his height and measurables might push him up boards despite the fact that he makes dumb mistakes.

I just don't know if there will be much love for QBs in the draft this year. You got a couple of guys with talent stuck down the depth chart in the NFL as well as Vick.

Vick and Alex Smith are going to get starters jobs somewhere else. I think the likes of Matt Flynn and Kirk Cousins will garner plenty of interest too even though they could cost a bit. I think they are all more attractive options to anybody in the draft.

The only one for me that has looked good enough is Barkley but he had a bad final year and has been injured for quite a while now so there are huge question marks there.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The only one for me that has looked good enough is Barkley but he had a bad final year and has been injured for quite a while now so there are huge question marks there.

He's only been hurt about a month. He was never gonna come back for a nothing bowl game, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Barkley would be my top QB pick too. As you said, he had a bad final year, but still showed more in his previous few years than the, what.... 5 excellent games Geno Smith had?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Each teams draft tendencies, very interesting:

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/articles/draft-metrics/draft-tendencies/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

He's only been hurt about a month. He was never gonna come back for a nothing bowl game, so I wouldn't be too worried.

Barkley would be my top QB pick too. As you said, he had a bad final year, but still showed more in his previous few years than the, what.... 5 excellent games Geno Smith had?
    What a difference a year makes for Barkley! This time last year he was been talked about in the same breadth as Luck and RG3! Michael Lombardi wrote an article on Bill Walsh before and one of the things Walsh was weary of was players that regressed in their final year in college when really they should be at their best! Barkley has a lot of good games under his belt but the fact that he has been largely disappointing this year, when he should have been at his best, may hurt him come draft day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Gee, what's happened to Landry Jones and Barkley? These guys seemed like big prospects not too long ago. Bet they regret staying the extra year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Manti Teo's stock took an absolute battering last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

No harm, might fall to the Ravens now :D

Tyler Eifert will forgo his senior year to enter the draft.

Interesting to see how Barrett Jones' stock is affected given that he revealed he played through torn ligaments in his foot and now needs surgery.

The same injury actually put Matt Schaub out for several games last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Have only watched the highlights, but it looked pretty bad.

The front 7 had no push at all against a huge Bama OLine.

But missing tackles isn't usual for him.

Was sad to see after such an amazing year, but he looked undersized and slow against that Bama team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Doubt many of the teams looking at Manti will be put off by yesterday.

They got beat by a dynasty in a season where they came from absolutely no where to make #1 in the nation. The Senior Bowl is yet to come as is the Combine and all the interviews that entails. I expect him to fly all of those and be drafted at worst 10-15. Any team needing defensive leadership and talent up front will have to look at him because he really does have a bit of the Ray Lewis' about him. One leaves, one enters perhaps?

If you told me Manti would go on to be a perennial All-Pro I'd believe it faster than I would anyone else in this year's draft. He's as sure a pick as you'll ever see in a draft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Syferus wrote: »

They got beat by a dynasty in a season where they came from absolutely no where to make #1 in the nation. The Senior Bowl is yet to come as is the Combine and all the interviews that entails. I expect him to fly all of those and be drafted at worst 10-15. Any team needing defensive leadership and talent up front will have to look at him because he really does have a bit of the Ray Lewis' about him. One leaves, one enters perhaps?

If you told me Manti would go on to be a perennial All-Pro I'd believe it faster than I would anyone else in this year's draft. He's as sure a pick as you'll ever see in a draft.

Totally disagree. The tape doesn't lie. No matter how good a combine, interviews personal workouts Manti does now hes been hit big time by his performance against the Tide. (And a drop from a top 5 pick to 10 - 15 is a significant drop especially this year when the talent pool isnt all that deep from an NFL perspective)

I was so high on Manti but not so much now. He looked undersized a step slow, poor in pass coverage and not close to the guy I thought he would be.

Hes actually reminding me more like Aaron Curry than Ray Lewis right now.

As for being the most sure pick you will ever see in a draft. Sorry but what a load of Boll*x, theres no such thing as a sure pick and hes far form what it would be anyway.

Theres no way you can tell me Manti has more chance of being a perennial Pro Bowler than Luke Joeckel for example.

I agree with you sometimes but other times I think you just take the opposite view of the majority just so you can be seen to be different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

+1, not doing it against Bama definitely doesn't suggest he's going to be a star at an even higher level. He just looks slow to me.

while i think he played piss poor against bama its unfair to discount him because of one bad game every player has bad days.

iv always regarded manti as a boom or average pick still dont think hell be a bust. its unfair to compair him to ray lewis thats to much pressure for anyone but he has shown great leadership every domminant defence has a player they can turn to he can be that even if hes not an all time great hes wise beyond his years and that counts for a lot.

hes a mlb and so i think he should go between 10-20 even if hes not a stud he should be a good player.

ps. i know he missed a lot of tackles against bama but again its one game he can hit and as a plus hes good in coverage.

Nearly every team will be put off by yesterday. He was touted as a potential top 5 pick, and now I doubt he even goes top 10. No team would take him top 5 and I doubt any team would now trade up for him. Against good opposition he looked slow, poor at tackling and couldn't shed blocks. He showed he can't do that against NFL level talent and that should be a huge worry. Doing well against college talent who will never be good enough for the NFL in most of his other games proves very little.

while i think he played piss poor against bama its unfair to discount him because of one bad game every player has bad days.

iv always regarded manti as a boom or average pick still dont think hell be a bust. its unfair to compair him to ray lewis thats to much pressure for anyone but he has shown great leadership every domminant defence has a player they can turn to he can be that even if hes not an all time great hes wise beyond his years and that counts for a lot.

hes a mlb and so i think he should go between 10-20 even if hes not a stud he should be a good player.

ps. i know he missed a lot of tackles against bama but again its one game he can hit and as a plus hes good in coverage.

I dont think anybody is saying he will be a bust, I think he will be adequate at the next level I just think that the hype that has been on him will die down and a more realistic draft grade will be applied and he will be drafted at a more reasonable level.

hell he could end up a Hall of Famer or he might be out of the league in three years only time will tell, but there are certainly signs in the Bama tape that indicate without work he will be no more than an adequate starter at the next level.

Id personally want more than that if Im spending a first rounder on a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭cosatron

comparing the two games- sec final and bcs bowl game, is ogletree from georgia a better draft option than manti considering his performance against alabama or even clowney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Clowney is not draft eligible and is a defensive end not a middle line backer. It's been said in some circles that he'd be the first pick in 2013 nevermind 2014. I'm not aware of another Clowney ..

A sure pick is someone with proven ability and a proven leader and character guy. Too many times teams fantasise over a player's raw talent and ignore others that may not be as spectacular but will be a far less-likely to bust as compared to their draft position. I don't think teams should mess about in first rounds, make sure to get someone who will be an anchor for years even if he isn't someone draftniks drool over.

The Ray Lewis conparsion is very apt in this case because coming out Ray dropped to what seems a ridculious spot in retrospect - 26th overall- because he was percieved not to be the greatest athlete in the world. He proved more than anyone that playing linebacker is about a whole hell of a lot more than your psysical gifts or being able to pin your ears back and bull rush a runner or QB, it's about having the passion and dedication to read the game and adjust the whole defensive scheme to what you're seeing. Manti is clearly someone with the capacity to be that and from day one he will be a stabilising and a leading influence on whatever team drafts him.

This is over-reaction theatre, he had one bad game - the whole defence did - in a Heisman-chasing season against an all-time great program and an utterly exceptional O-line. Will some teams put him down a few places the morning after the game? Sure.

But I have a feeling those same teams will look back at the 2013 draft and wish they stuck with their convictions on Manti T'eo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,942 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Te'o is a middle linebacker while Ogeltree projects to be an inside linebacker. Difference is that one is likely to play in a 4-3 scheme(Te'o) while the other should do well in a 3-4 alignment.

Ogeltree is not big enough to play as a middle linebacker. If he can beef up 30 pounds and still have top level measurables in the combine/pro day workouts then that could change.

After his performance against Alabama Te'o might drop quite a ways but his workouts are going to be huge now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You can find plenty of bad T'eo tape if you want to look for it. He made loads of plays this year, but loads of bad jumps off the snap that left holes in the defense. Someone drew my attention to it before the Heisman. I'll illustrate the point better later.

He will interview extremely well I've no doubt; but his combine numbers aren't going to wow people and NFL Scouting departments will find plenty to scare them on tape. Intangibles will leave people wanting to see the positives though, so if he can work out well he could still go in the first.

I think he's a surefire bust tbh. Monday night was inexplicably awful.

Against who? Perhaps the best O-line in college football? There's absolutely no shame in that, ND still were probably the best defence in football this year.

It's not even a question that he'll be a first rounder.

Against who? Perhaps the best O-line in college football? There's absolutely no shame in that, ND still were probably the best defence in football this year.

It's not even a question that he'll be a first rounder.

Getting abused by NFL standard offensive linemen is pretty embarrassing considering that's the kind of competition he will face week in, week out. He'll still be a first round but fallen hugely now. I'd be surprised if he goes top 15 at this stage. I think his combine numbers might just push him down further.

Getting abused by NFL standard offensive linemen is pretty embarrassing considering that's the kind of competition he will face week in, week out. He'll still be a first round but fallen hugely now. I'd be surprised if he goes top 15 at this stage. I think his combine numbers might just push him down further.

And better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Thing about taking a MLB early is you want him to be able to do it all.
    Im sure people who have seen Notre Dame all season would know better, but from what I've seen of him he is poor in pass coverage.

He got totally caught out on the play action for the second TD against Bama.
    Reminds me a bit of Manuluga who is also not great in coverage, and of course he was predicted go between 10 and 20 that year and fell into the 2nd round.

His size is not an issue, I cant check because Im on my phone, but rough guess he same size as Ray Lewis or Donald Butler in San Diego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I could actually see Teo falling down to us at 19. But the Steelers will take him now. He can't go top 15 now anyway.

• Advertisement

A sure pick is someone with proven ability and a proven leader and character guy. .

just like Tebow :rolleyes:

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Thing about taking a MLB early is you want him to be able to do it all.
    Im sure people who have seen Notre Dame all season would know better, but from what I've seen of him he is poor in pass coverage.

He got totally caught out on the play action for the second TD against Bama.
    Reminds me a bit of Manuluga who is also not great in coverage, and of course he was predicted go between 10 and 20 that year and fell into the 2nd round.

His size is not an issue, I cant check because Im on my phone, but rough guess he same size as Ray Lewis or Donald Butler in San Diego.

He bit awfully on that TD but in fairness thats easily done when Bama had been running at will.

The comparrison with Ray Maleuga (spelling) is a pretty good one actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

D3PO wrote: »
    If he is drafted by the Bucs and gets us through the First round of the playoffs, a la Tebow, then i'd be pretty fúcking happy.

Taylor Lewan going back to Michigan even though he was a sure fire high 1st round pick. Strange one, maybe he had a word with Jake Long?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

With the honey badger being banned this year will he declae for the draft or will he do another year? Havent really kept up with him this year since the ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭J. Football

Arawn wrote: »
    With the honey badger being banned this year will he declae for the draft or will he do another year? Havent really kept up with him this year since the ban

He's already declared and has been training at a Draft Preparation facility in Florida.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

any idea where he will go in draft order/possible teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

taidghbaby wrote: »
    may hurt him come draft day!

I think it definitely will hurt its just a question of how much.

D3PO wrote: »

It's amazing you can even attempt the emoticons after what Tebow did in the one chance he got to be a starter. Just because the Jets are a rudderless circus it doesn't mean anything's changed since the 2011 season as regards Tebow.

Oh, well. Thanks for proving the value of intangibles to a team, it makes my case easier to make.

Don't derail a 2013 draft thread by starting a Tebow discussion, though.

Paully D wrote: »
    Taylor Lewan going back to Michigan even though he was a sure fire high 1st round pick. Strange one, maybe he had a word with Jake Long?

Crap news for us bear fans, as means there is one less O line on the board ahead. Means Eric fisher, who i really like, will possibly go higher

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Syferus viewpost.gif
    A sure pick is someone with proven ability and a proven leader and character guy. .

just like Tebow rolleyes.png

It's amazing you can even attempt the emoticons after what Tebow did in the one chance he got to be a starter. Just because the Jets are a rudderless circus it doesn't mean anything's changed since the 2011 season as regards Tebow.

Oh, well. Thanks for proving the value of intangibles to a team, it makes my case easier to make.

Don't derail a 2013 draft thread by starting a Tebow discussion, though.

Dont tell me what I can or cant say. If you start talking bollo*x about character and leadership and showing ability at college level making you a sure fire pick then Im going to call you out on it.

Even a bit of common sense and you would know thats not the case. Jesus youd swear every top 5 pick is a lock to be a ten year starter and All Pro. Your wrong but again as usual you have to just take the opposite opinion to the majority because you have some kind of complex that dictates you have to be right and everybody else wrong.

but its ok. I will happily wait a season and call you out on both Tebow (whom you seem to has the disillusion to think is actually a quality NFL QB ) and Teo and let you know as normal how much of a mug you have made of yourself

Paully D wrote: »

Very surprising. Mind you Michigan aren't far from being genuine BCS title game contenders next season. Maybe he figures they will have a really good shot at it and you cant really argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Arawn wrote: »
    any idea where he will go in draft order/possible teams?
    I think he falls quite a bit! Doubtful in the first 3 maybe 4 rounds with a possibility of not being drafted at all (see Burficit)!

IMO along with the character issues his biggest drawback is his size! He's not big enough to be a number 1 or 2 corner and I'm not sure how much teams are willing to invest in a Nickel corner with previous character red flags!

My abiding memory of him from last year is the BCS championship game where he was beaten on a number passes (though LSU were beaten all over the field)! Having said that he is an excellent punt returner and does make a lot of big plays (interceptions and forces fumbles) so a team might take a chance with him early! Janoris Jenkins had similar character questions hanging over him an he fell to the second round, but he's a far better corner IMO!

Totally agree Taigh.

Hes a 5th or 6th rounder to me if he is even drafted. His size is a big concern at the next level. Somebody will take a punt but not early. Im not overly convinced he will be decent in the NFL, I wouldnt be too happy if the eagles wasted a pick on him TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

A lot of people saying he'll be moved to safety in the NFL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement