Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVO

Options
  • 30-06-2010 11:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40

Its says on the evo site that theres people from ireland going. Is there any irish players good enough to be in with a sly shout? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

have you ever heard of cobelcog?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

There is a few Irish players that could finish respectably but I really doubt anyone in Ireland has a chance of making top 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Azza wrote: »
    There is a few Irish players that could finish respectably but I really doubt anyone in Ireland has a chance of making top 8.

Nice to see confidence from our Irish representative :D

It will be tough but it's a good experience. Tournament exposure is great but tournament exposure at this level will be something else and quite beneficial! America & Japan (due to skill rather than sheer quantity) will wrap up top 8 - but look at the amount that they play and the number of live tournaments they participate in.

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hang on, someone from Ireland is going to Evo? :o

In all seriousness I was raring to go along with Azza there but work commitments have prevented me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If people are honest, I don't think any irish player can expect to make it out of groups. The step up in quality will be quite large.

CobelCog is probably the only exception in my eyes.....both because he's very good, and plays Cammy....which ALOT of top players have problems fighting. Sanford Kelly's recent performances have proved that. So if CobelCog were able to go, I would fancy him to get out of groups fairly handily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kirby wrote: »
    If people are honest, I don't think any irish player can expect to make it out of groups. The step up in quality will be quite large.

CobelCog is probably the only exception in my eyes.....both because he's very good, and plays Cammy....which ALOT of top players have problems fighting. Sanford Kelly's recent performances have proved that. So if CobelCog were able to go, I would fancy him to get out of groups fairly handily.

Nonsense.

I'd be confident that all of our top players would make it out of pools, barring an exceptionally difficult draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭chris mcmahon

dont know about evo but that electronic sports world cup thing says that chunkis has been invited to represent ireland in top 16 in ssf4 (its invite only). i know some of you guys are friends with him and no disrespect to chunkis, but even i can beat him and i dont consider myself very good at all. we had about 8 or 9 games a few days ago and i won all but 1 and the 1 i didnt win i used guile. how did he get to go to that?

in regards to irish players doing well at evo, i dont think we would have a chance im sorry to say, i watch alot of the american scene and its a whole other level, then there is the japanese that will be attending........................

dont take offence at this post, there was none intended :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

dont know about evo but that electronic sports world cup thing says that chunkis has been invited to represent ireland in top 16 in ssf4 (its invite only). i know some of you guys are friends with him and no disrespect to chunkis, but even i can beat him and i dont consider myself very good at all. we had about 8 or 9 games a few days ago and i won all but 1 and the 1 i didnt win i used guile. how did he get to go to that?

He knows a man who knows a man :)

I think Chunkis would readily admit that 4 isnt his game, he just hasnt put the hours into it, and most of our top guys beat on him. I think if you made it down to an event you would be suprised/impressed at the level of play on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

in regards to irish players doing well at evo, i dont think we would have a chance im sorry to say, i watch alot of the american scene and its a whole other level, then there is the japanese that will be attending........................

dont take offence at this post, there was none intended :o

You submit (or rather Chunkis submitted) an application which would also detail his previous tournament experience and results.

Also, casuals (online or offline) mean little to nothing - it's time to mess around with strats, learn new things, etc...It's tournaments where it really matters.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Not to sound overly defensive....but Chunkis isn't one of our best players. He is at that tournament (i imagine largely) due to his huge experience in the international fighting game scene, his reputation, as well as his previous tournament standings (in games other than SFIV). That's not to say he couldn't be one of our best players if he tried, as Sagat06 said he often says that SFIV isn't his game.

The standard in Ireland is quite poor compared to most other countries, true. However our level of play has shot up dramatically in the past 6 months or so, and I would have confidence we have a few players who have the ability to make it out of groups at EVO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

When you watch American tournament streams it's generally only the top players they show and not the dozens of other players at the events who are nowhere near that level.

Evo will be full of those type of players who aren't very good, but enjoy the social aspect of the scene and just want be at Evo for the event itself rather than a shot of winning.

Yes, top American players are on a level above our top players, but I'm very confident that Azza will make it out of his pools and so would many other Irish players if they were there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭chris mcmahon

i think a few of them will definately get out of groups, the level of play in groups is usually quite low, i watched nearly all of them last year. its sort of last hundred people is where the problems will be faced.
    i wish i could go to your gatherings but dublin is simply too far away from me to play street fighter. maybe someday il drive down.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Also, best bipson will win for Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I watch a lot of streams and vids from the US. The standard of play is high later on but early it can be pretty bad. I think Azza will get out of groups if he doesnt get a group from hell.

Jim wrote: »
    Also, best bipson will win for Ireland.

Im not going Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Don't confuse noise for skill.

The average yank isn't on a level above the average european, the difference is they all speak the same language, our one, and live in one country and have a centralised community. Plus they are top tier trolls.
    The vast majority of the country is without arcades etc the streets arent paved with gold

Now any visiting player will have a reem of disadvantages due to travel, climate etc the pressure of their first evo and the desire to go out for the night and wake up in the hotel with a chinese baby and balrogs tiger.

But Azza on form is easily good enough to do quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bush80 wrote: »
    I think Azza will get out of groups if he doesnt get a group from hell.

I'd agree with this. If he gets a decent group, I would expect him to do the dictator thang and show em what for! :)

I could see atleast 16 of our lads getting out of the groups if they got a good draw. But you dont always get a good draw. If azza gets two guiles he's probably going home. And there will be alot of them in super. And thats not his fault, but if Andre for example gets a group full of american hero's, he will get through.

But that was my point to be honest. The same lads get out of the groups every year because they get out even when they get screwed due to randomness. I wasn't saying we don't have decent players, we do. I was saying we don't have anyone good enough that doesn't have to put their fate in the hands of a draw is all. The japs and americans have tons who will get through no matter what draw they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Irish Bipson!

Andre is all hype. He never does anything. He moaned about bison in vanilla and he still isnt winning anything in super.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Kirby wrote: »
    I could see atleast 16 of our lads getting out of the groups if they got a good draw. But you dont always get a good draw. If azza gets two guiles he's probably going home. And there will be alot of them in super. And thats not his fault, but if Andre for example gets a group full of american hero's, he will get through.

Actually I'd dare say Azza is supremely practiced at the Guile match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

dont know about evo but that electronic sports world cup thing says that chunkis has been invited to represent ireland in top 16 in ssf4 (its invite only). i know some of you guys are friends with him and no disrespect to chunkis, but even i can beat him and i dont consider myself very good at all.

Yeah but chunkis actually turns up to events and has done for at least 10 years thus made a name for himself. Top UK and US players know who he is cause he's actually met them in person. You can be a god at online but it wont mean a thing till you attend proper events.

And as fir the rest of the thread, as azza himself has said your only as good as your competition. And while extremely good for the size of our small country , we arnt at the level of top UK players. Never mind top US and Japanese.

But considering the size of Ireland and how fresh the scene is we're pretty damn good and would give most EU countries a run for their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Well one thing we have is that a lot of us have been bedroom champions for the last decade, when fightinggames were on the floor.
    Like the scene or at least the passion existed but it was spread out in every nook and cranny.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Ry wrote: »
    Irish Bipson!

Hold me down bipson!

Alright thats it, wtf is this Bipson shite all about? Damn 360 in-jokes :P

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

You would not understand Sisko as your not the bess Bipson!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

i am best bipson

also

If I went to EVO I would most certainly have a chance at placing 1st or higher. Yes, yes, I'm probably being a bit too modest about it though. So, if I were to look at it realistically then Yes. I probably would doubleperfect Daigo with close roundhouses.

Cobelcog wrote: »
    If I went to EVO I would most certainly have a chance at placing 1st or higher.

hehehe

poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Sisko wrote: »
    But considering the size of Ireland and how fresh the scene is we're pretty damn good and would give most EU countries a run for their money.

I seriously doubt this part is true, imo we wouldn't have the talent to put together a quality team for a 5v5 at the moment. There are a fair few players with a lot of potential, and at some point in the future that could easily happen, but right now, we wouldn't have a shot.

Indeed but not every other country in the EU is at the level of the UK and France etc

I'm probably being a little too optimistic though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I don't think you realise how many quality players there are from almost every country in the EU...what are you basing this off? In Cannes there were players from a lot of european countries who could destroy us, and I'm sure there are plenty more who weren't at that one particular tournament. Just because the UK and France have the most well-known European players and some of the biggest tournament scenes doesn't mean that you should discount other countries.

Advertisement