Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now fight a new rival!!

Options
  • 04-01-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Sup peeps,

Hi my name is Dominic, I am new player on the irish fighting game scene although i am veteran fighting games player. Most of you probably don`t know me so i will just write a few lines about myself.

First of all I was born in Ireland, I lived here until 1999/2000 and then moved to london where i got into the fighting game scene. I started out playing Alpha 3 as my main game, but also touched on games like Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Third Strike, Capcom VS SNK 2 and various other old school fighting games.

I have won quite a few tournaments on various fighting games and have competed in over 400 tournaments world wide, including KSKs third strike ranking battle in Japan and the evolution fighting game championships in the USA. I was briefly sponsored to play games in 2003 by electronics boutique. In 2004 I won a series of tournaments and qualified to be on the UK Team to play against the Japan National Team in the first ever showdown between Europe and Japan. here is a picture taken from Arcadia Magazine which featured a 2 page spread on the event, The photo of Team UK features from left to right, Richard IMX” Williams, Hollis HEAT” Wong, Damien Bon, myself and GeeJay. Team Japan from left to right features RF, Daigo The beast” Umehara, D44-BAS, Ino and Chikyuu.

Since then ive been more of a tournament organiser than a player but now that Street Fighter IV is out ive been considering playing again.

Recently I took part in Uks biggest Street Fighter IV 3 on 3 team tournament and thanks to my amazing team mates Richard IMX” Williams and Ryan The Prodigal son” Hart we took 1st place.

I am currently back and forth between the UK and Ireland but i am here for most of January, i think i will miss the next inferno ranking battle as i will be in the UK that weekend, but hopefully in september i will be studying and living here full time and will become a regular part of the fighting game community here in ireland, for now i would like to introduce myself and hopefully arrange to meet up and play some games.

If there is anything going on within the next week or two please let me know.

Later

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Nice to meet you.

Don't imagine anything happening next weekend. Except for maybe some casuals in the XGC. Just keep an eye on the forums here and you will see annoucements about upcoming Dragonslayer Ranbats (Belfast) and Inferno Ranbats (Dublin) and LanParty.ie SF IV tournaments (Dublin).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Your user name is really, really familiar. Have we fought before?

Maybe sonic doom? Or hadoomken?

EDIT: I could have just seen you in a few vids if you've been in such high visibility matches :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Hey chunkis, savage to see you posting here. Have seen a few vids of you on youtube, would absolutely love to get some games in with you next weekend if you're around!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

Hi Azza, nice to meet you, i can`t wait to play your bison, he is such a tricky charatcer in this game i look forward to playing against bison as we have no bison players in london.

DOCTOR DOOM, I don`t think we have played before as i don`t play online, but as soon as i do i will be sure to add you.

Dreddybajs, i am here for a while. so you let me know where you guys are at and i will come play anytime.

What is the xgc? Is that like an internet cafe or something?

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Big welcome to you - Not much to say, really, not part of the tourny/event scene myself and I presume you'll just be another of them filthy console players ;)

Either way, Azza's said it all - All events tend to get posted ASAP here on the Forums for all to see so keep those eyes peeled.

Cool, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah, it's a net cafe with an upstairs area that has ps3s/360s, it's where we usually meet up to play. It's on Liffey St. in the city centre (near the ha'penny bridge, just down from pravda and across from games workshop).

A lot of Saturdays we meet up for casuals, I'd be up for it this weekend anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Hey man, welcome to the forum! Usually some of us will gather in the xgc in dublin city every saturday so you're welcome to come along and teach us a few lessons no doubt :D

*Checks out Chunkis' videos*

Yeah I definitely saw you that way. :D

Unfortunately we don't have any arcades worth mentioning in dublin so XGC is the best way to go. Works out pretty cheap.

I'll be along this sat if people are heading.

Dreedbajs - cool, sounds good.

AnimaX - Thanks, heh, However I am really a beginner on sf4 myself but playing together is the quickest way to get better. If you guys are playing each week i will try to make it down. What time this saturday? I don`t know if i am free, but i will be more than happy to make the trip down, i live in dundalk so its not too far for me.

*Checks out Chunkis' videos*

Yeah I definitely saw you that way. :D

Unfortunately we don't have any arcades worth mentioning in dublin so XGC is the best way to go. Works out pretty cheap.

I'll be along this sat if people are heading.

How much does it cost to play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

Hi Chunkis, if you're about next weekend I'll try to get in for an hour or so and I'll definitely be about for the ranbat in a fortnight. I use Vega and I believe there's a decent vega player in England called Agent Hoy, you might know him...

I can't remember the exact costs but it never stretches to more than 5 euro each for 4 hours.

We usually go for a pint or two after if there's a few willing, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Hi Chunkis.

Its always good to have another player who can beat me. I was getting bored of everyone else beating me =p. (I wish I was kidding)

Joking aside, welcome :). Since you are from Dublin you probably know where it is but just in case

Upper Liffey St, Dublin 1, Co. Dublin City, Ireland
    Link: <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=upper+liffey+street&sll=53.348323,-6.264009&sspn=0.00415,0.011652&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Upper+Liffey+St,+Dublin+1,+County+Dublin+City,+Ireland&ll=53.351294,-6.264052&spn=0.0083,0.023303&z=15&iwloc=A&gt;

Aj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

chunkis wrote: »
    What time this saturday?

Generally we'll be there by 2 o clock or a bit earlier and stay till around 6. The console section is upstairs so you can just walk in and up the stairs. Then just listen for the sounds of "tiger, tiger, tiger"!

Ken B - yeah agent hoy is very good, I saw him beat the **** out of zak in the 3 on 3 and eliminated his team from the recent the tournament, i didn`t have the pleasure of playing his vega, vega is another character we don`t have in london but i look forward to playing yours.

AYJAYIRL - lol...thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

animaX wrote: »
    Generally we'll be there by 2 o clock or a bit earlier and stay till around 6. The console section is upstairs so you can just walk in and up the stairs. Then just listen for the sounds of "tiger, tiger, tiger"!

Followed by "Terry Destruction....."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

A ha, story horse!

There's a couple of french third stike players moving to dublin for 6 months soon too, unfortunatly without a cab to play on, it'll have to be on a lappy in the xgc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Chunkis was also mentioned for his participation in DreamHack DooM - people were trying to figure out if he belonged to us :D

Welcome! You're in the right spot. Definately check this forum and (I'll do some self-promotion here of course) eSports.ie (and the events calendar). Always good to have more Irish players (even if they're just based here ;))- if you are competing, know Irish who are or know of an event that has been missed, give me a shout - always good to build the knowledge base :)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

HI hi nice to meet ya! Just wana say your link to a picture isnt showing :)

You should pop to the XGC for a few games indeed

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Wow, a real life pro! You're way cooler than DooM! (Changes fan clubs)

(welcome :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Always great to see another new face. Welcome! I'll be up for casuals this Saturday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

is there casuals this week?!

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Wow, a real life pro! You're way cooler than DooM! (Changes fan clubs)

(welcome :))

Banned. :D
    is there casuals this week?!

Yarp, I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'm bringing BlazBlue, if anyone wants to play. Forgot how easy it is to play. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

an SF3 opponent? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Placebo wrote: »

For Doom? :P

Welcome Chunkis. Look forward to seeing you around.

Placebo wrote: »

Pfft, a total noob bet you in one fight sure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i won that tourney

undefeated champion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Hey man welcome to the forums! I remember seeing you on the UK 3s road to SBO videos? (or maybe it was someone else?) I also came across a lot of your videos back a long time ago like SvB and I remembering seeing you around NeoEmpire! I used to be a pretty avid follower of the UK scene a long time ago (I know, pretty ironic!) used to talk to/see videos of the guys like Naz, Raju, Rakurai, Ryan Hart etc. I was thinking of going to one of the SvBs one time aswell but never got around to it! Anyway I don't know if you still play 3s or A3 but maybe we could get some games in along with SFIV!

Peace

• Advertisement

OWWMYKNEECAP - French players? Wow thats cool, i can`t wait to play them, i know a lot of the french third strike players, do you know which ones are coming?

Sabre0001 – Yeah i always try to sign up as an irish player to events, because a lot of people think that i am english so whenever i can fly the irish flag i do, anyway dreamhack was cool, i would recommend it for anybody. I was actually doing a little bit of tv presenting while i was there and featured on live swedish tv, they had me in the studio talkin about ryan and zak as the finals were going on, it was cool to be in the studio and on tv and stuff, but i missed the craic with all the lads when the finals were going on, the guys were giving it loads to the crowd, it was some atmosphere, I can`t wait to go back later this year and i would recommend it to anybody.

Foamymushroom – Sorry but you need to be logged into facebook to see the picture

D4RK ONION – nobody really considers themselves pro, this is just a hobbie, its for fun, sure its nice whenever you win some money or get to travel to nice places, but fighting games isn`t really a professional sport, but a lot of people seem to think that we are professionals, its feels weird when you sign peoples joysticks or appear on tv or anything like that, but we don`t really look at ourselves as pro. Everybody is equal, but some are more equal than others lol. The fighting game community is fun, its fun because you get to meet so many people and travel to different places and enjoy playing games with people who share the same interest as you, its also great because no matter where you come from people treat you equally and thats one of the reasons i really enjoy being apart of the community.

Jim – look forward to playing you

Placebo – yeah i play street fighter 3, do you play it?

HMUYA – Thanks i look forward to playing you.

Ramza – Hi, yeah ive been in a few vids, and i am definitely up for playing anything like 3s or a3! and of course some sf4 lol

Advertisement