Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[REQ] Dyson Alternative

• 20-08-2007 3:27pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Just purchased my first place and had always said that I would purchase a dyson. I know someone posted about a dyson for €180 in Argos but I would prefer a newer model. But they are just out of my price range for now.

So hoping to go with a cheaper alternative that people here have used or currently used

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Howdy all,

Just purchased my first place and had always said that I would purchase a dyson. I know someone posted about a dyson for €180 in Argos but I would prefer a newer model. But they are just out of my price range for now.

So hoping to go with a cheaper alternative that people here have used or currently used

Thanks

Dyson have so many patents on them that you cant even remotely copy them. Those other bagless vacumes dont work the same way as a dyson. The dyson sucks the air through a cone and creates a vortex. They rely on the fact and anything thats heavier then the air will get thrown out of the vortex and into the dust bin (everything is heavier then air).
    The other vac cleaners are sucking the air through a filter inside the dust bin its a paper filter usually and this gets cloged the same way a bag does and sometimes worse.

So if your not going to buy a dyson dont buy a bagless cleaner they arent worth the grief. All the new dysons come with a 5 year parts and labour guarantee on the whole vac, not just the motor. Id be suprised if that one for 180 didnt come with a 5 year guarantee but worth checking theres no reason why it wouldnt though. Dyson usually very obliging aswell once you have a serial number registered with them anything that breaks they just pop in the post. Guaranteed to last at least 5 years so less then €40 a year keeping your house dust free? I used to sell them and i have a dyson at home ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Nilfisk do a very good entry level bagged vac cleaner by the way. They did anyway at the start of the year. About 150 as far as i remember. Miele do a similar one at a slightly higher price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I got a bagless dyson type thing in b&q for about 40 euro. have it nearly 2 years and its still great. she'd suck a golf ball through a hose, as my ole grandaddy used to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Kenpo

I got this Miele for €160 in Powercity.

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=S5210&subid=121

Great hoover - as good as an Dyson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

I recommend the iRobot Roomba , its one of the best things we bought this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yeah, I bought a Dyson DC05 for €199 in the January sales in Arnotts a few years ago €100 off. Can you wait for the sales???

I'd wait for it, they are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Save up and buy a Dysan. You just won't be satisfied with anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Or get a Goblin for 45 euro like I did, does the job grand if its only a small gaff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aidankk

Kenpo wrote:
    I got this Miele for €160 in Powercity.

http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=S5210&subid=121

Great hoover - as good as an Dyson.

got this as well, miles better than any dyson, they are total crap for the money... i also had a commercial unit cant remember the brand but this miele is a lot more powerful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

If your gonna have to go bagless on the cheap, I would recommend anything in the philips range. Fantasic vacs for the < €200 price range.

Always found the Miele to be a bog standard vac, if your going for a bagged vac within the same price range go for the NA200 in the Nilfisks.
    Looking at about €130 and about the best suction you can get for a bagged unit at that price.

Dont have a terribly huge house, and not too much carpet either, but I would recommend this bagless Philips.

Set you back about €120 in t3h shops.

Used a similar model to clean every shard of glass (about a zillion shards) from the carpeted floor underneath, and around a €300 glass tv stand. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I'd recommend the Henry hoover.

It's made by Numatic, who make industrial cleaners. Huge bag in it (bags are cheap also) so no real loss of suction. Well priced too.

And the best part - most reliable hoover on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

cast_iron wrote:
    I'd recommend the Henry hoover.

It's made by Numatic, who make industrial cleaners. Huge bag in it (bags are cheap also) so no real loss of suction. Well priced too.

And the best part - most reliable hoover on the market.

I agree they are good hoovers, but not the "most reliable hoover on the market" :rolleyes: but a bit out of his price range anyway at €180.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

I agree they are good hoovers, but not the "most reliable hoover on the market" :rolleyes: but a bit out of his price range anyway at €180.
    Well in all the years I repaired hoovers, I never came across anyone with fewer reapir issues. Never once replaced a motor, (many a Nilfisk motor was ordered - at enormous cost), just minor issues like switches and cable ends.

And those Dysons have so many bits and pieces, its not long before one breaks. All great till the bill arrives!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I went for a Dyson in the end.

Got the DC19 in a bricks n mortar shop in Ennis

Thanks for all the suggestions

Keano

Advertisement