Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil 3 REmake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Can't add a whole lot that hasn't already been said but my 2cents for what it's worth.

Finished it there, 8 hours playtime. Overall I enjoyed it, it was pretty much more of the same from RE2 Remake which is fine by me, although I would imagine the critical reception is probably a bit frostier because of that.

Like everyone else it seems, I was a bit disappointed with Nemesis. Some of the chase sequences were like something right out of Uncharted, which is a tired series in itself so this seemed a strange direction to go in. I never felt like Nemesis was stalking me like I did in the original, he's pretty much just there for scripted sequences and that's it.

The one part in the game where he's chasing you all over the place was the demo sequence which is (for me) by far the most enjoyable part of the game.

The lack of puzzles really doesn't make sense to me either. I know RE3 is supposed to be more shooty bang bang than RE2 but the original RE3 still maintained some sections of puzzle solving. Still, I had a good time.

Edit: oh and on the pricing, it's the same price as RE2 remake with about 25% of the content (if we forget Resistance), if you're on the fence about buying it, definitely hold off for a price drop. The RE games are on special offer on the PS store every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just finished now. Standard, 4:12 clear time and 5:26 total play time. 7 deaths, felt like a lot more. Second last boss was tough due to lack of health and useful ammo.

Enjoyed it but Nemesis was much less of a pain than anticipated. The first encounter at the start it was on your ass but after that it was just boss fights. Much less tension than Mr X. There was times I had to replay a section a dozen times in RE2 because Mr X made life difficult due to my health/ammo situation and it required a bit of luck to get out of it. Nemesis is just scripted boss fights so not much pressure.

Another downside is frequently getting cornered by a rake of zombies and depleting most of your ammo.

Outside of that I enjoyed it. I'm not a puzzle guy but even I would have liked a bit more of a puzzle element.

Definitely worth playing, but you'd want to wait til Black Friday to get it in sale or just wait until next year when it will be cheap in the shops.

A good companion alongside RE2. A decent enough game, good enough for those who wanted more of the same. Could have had a bit more in it.

I'm enjoying this more the RE2 Remake!
    And I love RE2 Remake.

There I said it!

Loving the little twists in the story (compared to original) and nods to RE2 so far.

(I'm a mega fan) So pics tomorrow for proof of my shrine upgrade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Enjoying this but a wee bit stuck tbh
    in the hospital defending Jill, keep thinking I'm going well then just get overwhelmed by volume of the fecker's, or else distracted and they break into the room whilst I'm tackling Godzilla down the other end
    any tips?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Just finished my nightmare run, I actually found it piss easy compared to my first hardcore run. Then I got to the the two part final boss. First part I died on several times, was quite though. Even though I horded ammo and health items it was hard going, Then I got to the second part and it all but one hit kills and my 4 first aid sprays did me little good. Really frustrating he doesn't kill you in one hit but some of this hits means you can't avoid the next attack or heal up and that next will kill you, very annoying, just kill me in one hit next time!. Didn't even get too the 2nd of three phases. Saved went back and did an assisted run to rack up achievements and purchased attack and defense poor ups as well as the manual then gives you more time to dodge. Finally got the timing down and nailed him.

Hmm inferno run next :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

JimBurnley wrote: »
    in the hospital defending Jill, keep thinking I'm going well then just get overwhelmed by volume of the fecker's, or else distracted and they break into the room whilst I'm tackling Godzilla down the other end
    any tips?

Stand behind the desk and pick them off. Use a flash bang and grenade for the hunter. The hunter comes out through the door behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,255 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm still enjoying playing the game. Have started an Assisted mode playthrough just to familiarise myself with layouts and strategies for different enemies (bar shoot them in the face) and gather up collectibles.

It's definitely more flawed than RE2:re. Nemesis only really bothers you in one small section, the rest is just chases and boss fights. Lack of puzzles that encourages backtracking is a key factor in this, even if it was just for weapon upgrades or pouches rather than completing the next objective. It would have meant you could run to the next objective and largely avoid Nemmy if you wanted, or to get the better weapons etc you have to do more backtracking putting you in Nemmy's path more often. And while RE3 was more action-oriented than RE2 and this game follows suit, the survival horror aspect of RE2:re was one of the game's key strengths. The dodge/punch and amount of ammo you're given means a tight room with 3-4 zombies just never feels like an issue.

The bossfights themselves are a mixed bag. I enjoyed them on first playthrough, but between launcher ammo thrown everywhere and the mechanics of each fight, none of them match fighting Birken-1 in that tight maze, or Birkin-2 on that small platform.

I'm enjoying the game and might aim for platinuming in time (a bit more time on my hands these days oddly enough), but won't be in as much of a rush or desire to do so as RE2:re.

JimBurnley wrote: »
    any tips?

Are you switching up your weapon usage? Hand grenades are your friend here when they pile up

Completed it, loved it. Back in for more :)

Does the shop stuff carry into a hardcore play-through?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Completed it, loved it. Back in for more :)

Does the shop stuff carry into a hardcore play-through?

Yes

• Advertisement

madcabbage wrote: »
    Yes

What's the best stuff to buy?

I've about 9000+ credits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I did lock pick and bolt cutters to held aid my speed run. Saving for the launcher now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Nemesis is just scripted boss fights so not much pressure.

I seen someone else say that as well , nemesis in the original would show up in random places but he's scripted in this.

What's the best stuff to buy?

I've about 9000+ credits

Kinda depends on what you plan on doing. If you're going for harder difficulties with only 9,000 points, I'd maybe suggest the crafting companion and a defense coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Trying to get S rank for Inferno, with 1:42 and 5th save just before final boss.

Driving me up the wall due to how fast its attacks are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Saving up for the Rocket Launcher here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

100% completed the game there. Must have completed it at least 7 times, rocket launcher run on inferno done in 1:08. Had to use one of my saves before that massive head rolls down the steps, got caught by that a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Started a collectable run on Assisted and was killed during my first encounter with Nemesis after being attacked by it and a zombie, in quick succession over and over. No chance to get out. Quite annoying.

Similar thing happened during the Nest fight in the pit, eventually it would go nuts and lash out at you getting you several times in a row and killing you.

I'll leave the no heal/item box run for another time...

Did a quick bit of farming for weapon kills last night and got enough XP for the rocket launcher, hip pouches, defence and recovery coins (and just enough left over for the Jill STARS costume). Going to cheese the harder difficulties with the rocket launcher and probably platinum the game with an Assisted no box/heals run, or maybe I'll do that run first in order to get the Stars manual for the harder difficulties.

I think a lot of the criticisms of the game aren't warranted, but a lot of them are. But I still enjoy playing it. Even on Assisted you can find yourself in a bad spot with a double-lunge from a zombie or a flashbanged Hunter/licker clawing you as you try get past them, and the story/characters are better in many aspects than RE2:re (though like the game, they're more action-based than tense horror).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Started a collectable run on Assisted and was killed during my first encounter with Nemesis after being attacked by it and a zombie, in quick succession over and over. No chance to get out. Quite annoying.

Similar thing happened during the Nest fight in the pit, eventually it would go nuts and lash out at you getting you several times in a row and killing you.

I'll leave the no heal/item box run for another time...

Do them separately you’ll save yourself a whole lot of bother imo

Do a no heal run with the coins and rocket laucher on hardcore you’ll clean up a lot of trophy’s in one run.

You can piss through a no item box run last on assisted mode using guns and herbs you pick up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

So just finished in 6hr30mins ish. It says I only got 9/10 weapon parts. What the hell did I miss?! :eek:

A very good game but I am quite disappointed overall. I always prefered 3 to 2 and was so looking forward to this. But so much was cut out that as a fan it's hard to defend it. Just feels lazy. They should have kept it another few months and added another area. I think Jill should have gone back to RPD, then later maybe combine the church+clocktower and have Carlos play that into hospital. Change the boss fight where she gets
    infected
    to have it happen in a park background setting.

But what is there is executed very well and anyone who doesn't know any better should have a great time with it. All we need now is Mercenaries DLC!

Oh and the thing I'm most upset about:
    NO BARRY AT THE END!
    Was super looking forward to seeing that:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Rob2D wrote: »
    So just finished in 6hr30mins ish. It says I only got 9/10 weapon parts. What the hell did I miss?! :eek:
    Nemesis drops 2 upgrades

Nemesis drops 2 upgrades

Looked it up. It was the shell holder I missed:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Watching Angry Joe's review now. Seems like he's bitterly disappointed:

I found the jokes in this to be quite cringey but his commentary is spot on.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Rob2D wrote: »
    Looked it up. It was the shell holder I missed:(

The one in the warehouse? Yeah, missed that on my first playthrough too. Though hadn't got one of the nemmy upgrades either so wouldn't have mattered.

Did hardcore and nightmare with rocket launcher and coins. Flew through them pretty handy bar final nemmy fight on nightmare. Pretty much a one hit kill from him as even when you survive one hit he pummels you before you can move or dodge again.

Best bit though is Carlos' line about it being f*cked up shooting cops feels a bit insincere when you've blown them up with a rocket launcher :D

Think it's just inferno S rank and a no box run I've to do for the platinum. Got the one-herb on nightmare (second spider-thing poisoned me on hardcore so had to use another herb).

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I basically completed 4 runs of the game, on Hardcore, Nightmare, Assisted and Inferno mode, an unlocked all achievements in 27 hours of game time.

My first playthrough on hardcore mode was the most difficult and time consuming because I didn't know what I was doing. Nightmare and Inferno modes where actually much easier due to item and weapon unlocks, with the exception of the final boss who is extremely difficult on both Nightmare and Inferno modes where he all but 1 hit kills you and you really have to learn his patterns and get the dodge timings down.

I played assisted mode just to hover up achievements, also spent just under an hour grinding kills for record unlocks.

I might do one more run on Inferno with no item/weapon unlocks for a bit of challenge. But done with it after that.

Overall I got my value out of the €46 euro I payed and that's without touching RE Resistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Azza wrote: »
    I basically completed 4 runs of the game, on Hardcore, Nightmare, Assisted and Inferno mode, an unlocked all achievements in 27 hours of game time.

My first playthrough on hardcore mode was the most difficult and time consuming because I didn't know what I was doing. Nightmare and Inferno modes where actually much easier due to item and weapon unlocks, with the exception of the final boss who is extremely difficult on both Nightmare and Inferno modes where he all but 1 hit kills you and you really have to learn his patterns and get the dodge timings down.

I played assisted mode just to hover up achievements, also spent just under an hour grinding kills for record unlocks.

I might do one more run on Inferno with no item/weapon unlocks for a bit of challenge. But done with it after that.

Overall I got my value out of the €46 euro I payed and that's without touching RE Resistance.

Where did you get it for 46 quid? It's on the store for 60

• Registered Users Posts: 7,529 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Where did you get it for 46 quid? It's on the store for 60

There were a few UK stores selling it for £40, which is about €46 when shipping is accounted for.

Azza wrote: »

I just tried inferno mode. Damn that's tough. Had to retry the first bit a few times because once a normal zombie grabs you, that's it. Cant tap X quick enough. Made it past and got the rocket launcher. Made it to first nemmy fight and died, and when I saw the loading screen remembered theres no auto save in inferno and it threw me back to the start.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. Wanted to save my 4 saves for later in the game, thought Nemmy 1 would be a cinch but he dodged a rocket and charged me.

• Advertisement

So the first thing I bought in the shop was the Samurai Edge and I noticed that they put in the wrong model. It's the standard model you get instead instead of her own. Poor effort again from the devs.

Advertisement