Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beacon South Quarter- Question

Options
  • 17-01-2020 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

Hi,

I am looking at buying in the next 6 months in South Dublin. I used to live in Dun Laoghaire but not much in my range. However, the Beacon South Quarter, Sandyford comes a lot on daft. IMO maybe too much, am I being paranoid or is there something wrong with the area/apartments?

I used to drive through there most weeks and seemed fine but may be missing something and wondering if anyone can shed any light on it.

Thanks,

PHG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

One from the past on required remedial work, https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/beacon-south-quarter-residents-vote-to-pay-10m-to-fix-defects-1.3012842.

Not too sure if they work was ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A member of my family lived in one of those apartments and it was perfectly fine (The ones that are nearly on top of Dunnes Stores).

He said that many of the flats were unoccupied. (this was a few years ago)

But he also said that it was really warm, they never turned on the heating; and the location is brilliant right beside the Luas.

It's one of those designed-by-developers places that has never really become a "community" - there are so many obvious gaps! (It even has a dead-sounding name)

Only one scruffy pub, no bookshop, no launderette, no petrol station?

And that square in between Dunnes/OBriens ought to be a proper Piazza, not a car park. There's room for a post office, a delicatessen, and a pavement café but developers don't see things with the eyes of human daily life!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Thanks for the replies. Will avoid there so.

Want to stay South Side but max budget is 350k. Can wait about 6 months or so though. Really wanted Du Laoghaire but that won't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Only one scruffy pub,
    what pub?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »
    what pub?

The pub in the shopping centre at Balally (not the one at Balally Luas stop, its nice) is not the best. This is a tiny distance away so I'd guess this one?

The original pub in Beacon South Quarter is still empty I'm fairly sure - was up for sale recently.

Elephant & Castle in the centre has a pub licence, though; and the hotel bar can serve non residents too like the majority of hotels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

rubadub wrote: »
    what pub?

No pubs in the actual Sandyford Ind Estate, except for in the Beacon Hotel itself - but on periphery would be Balally In in the Balally Shopping Centre (called Ollie's I think) - bit of a kip. Then not too far the other way would be Leopardstown Inn - Lep Inn; which has a totally opposite type of clientele and is a nice pub.

Beacon Qtr would be fairly dead in the evenings but is plenty of shops etc around and a good few eateries etc but would not stay open massively late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

It’s not that scruffy! But it is one of those locals where everyone looks up when you walk in and you feel like an interloper.

It changed ownership a few years ago - it’s now called Ollie’s - and they’ve poshed it up a bit, but it still has that ‘local’ feeling. But I expect it wouldn’t take all that long for you to be accepted as a regular, if going to the local is your thing.

You’ve plenty of shops close by and it’s a very short hop from the Stillorgan Luas stop, so I figure it could be quite a good investment if it’s reasonably priced.

Advertisement