Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Idling fuel consumption

Options
  • 14-11-2019 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Been googling and stuff coming up is in gallons and all US related.

What I'm looking for is a ball park estimate of how many litres a 2001 Hiace might consume with the engine running idle for an hour without any lights/fans/radio on ?

Basically battery could do with a decent charge, don't have a charger and would prefer idling rather than needlessly drive.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Youd be better off driving, as it's generally not a good idea to leave a vehicle by itself idling and youd be bored shirtless sitting in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My car shows 1.2 litres per hour if sitting idling.
    I think you would be better driving it to charge to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Been googling and stuff coming up is in gallons and all US related.

What I'm looking for is a ball park estimate of how many litres a 2001 Hiace might consume with the engine running idle for an hour without any lights/fans/radio on ?

Basically battery could do with a decent charge, don't have a charger and would prefer idling rather than needlessly drive.

Very, very little. Put it this way, I can drive my car for an hour at 100kmph covering 100kms obviously and it will use about 5 litres of diesel which costs about 6.50 euro.

If your van burned even close to a litre of fuel I'd be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Agree with the above, extended idling isn't good. To answer your question though, probably 5-600ml an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Agree with the above, extended idling isn't good. To answer your question though, probably 5-600ml an hour.

About 20 years ago a friend went out for a few pints on a Friday night. It was a cold night, so before his last (yes he was going to drink drive) pint he decided to go out and start van and clear windscreen.

Went back to pub and ended up having a few more, forgot about van and went to nightclub.

He spent Saturday on beer to.

His little black 205 van was lovely and toasty lunchtime on Sunday. Tank must have been near full on Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Thanks guys. Gather from above that fuel consumption is much much lower than driving for same time.

Guys aren't fans of extended idling I see. Presume main reason for this is risk of theft.

And while battery charging may not be as effective as driving I gather it should be good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Would you borrow a charger off someone?

Bit of a waste of fuel / emmisions...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

pwurple wrote: »
    Would you borrow a charger off someone?

Bit of a waste of fuel / emmisions...

You are right of course. Will buy one as soon as get to a decent sized town. Live out in the sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

Guys aren't fans of extended idling I see. Presume main reason for this is risk of theft.

Yeah, what's the Craic with this? Is it just the risk of theft or is there so reason not to idle I can't seem to figure out?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Reati wrote: »
    Yeah, what's the Craic with this? Is it just the risk of theft or is there so reason not to idle I can't seem to figure out?
    Well idling from cold to heat up a car/engine has another problem, it increases wear. Basically from cold the ECU, the "brain" of the car runs the fuel/air mixture rich on the fuel side to keep it running and get it up to temperature(and to prevent detonation). Basically like pulling out the choke in the old days. More fuel going in remains unburnt and can get past the rings and into the oil reducing lubrication. Bore washing I think they call it? At idle oil pressure is low too which doesn't help either. So from cold it's much better to just drive off as the engine will heat up more quickly and oil pressure will be higher and you'll get less wear and tear on components over time.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

You are right of course. Will buy one as soon as get to a decent sized town. Live out in the sticks

Look, this is an Irish soultion to the problem (read dumb as) just drive the van and get a new battery, and disconnect the battery when you sit the van up for another few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭lau1247

Not quite what the OP ask but gonna put this here if it helps.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Advertisement