Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing pir floodlight

Options
  • 10-11-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

[HTML][/HTML]Hi everyone I was trying to replace my pir with a better LED one I thought it was gonna be an east swap but looks like the bulk wiring on the current pir floodlight is different it's wired to an indoor switch please refer to the photo attached.
    One of the 2 brown wire connected together gives me my led light some power without connecting the blue wire but only a but it doesn't give the light a full blast also I checked the wire on the indoor switch and its only a single brown wire

20191110_165400_375.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Looks like u have a supply and a switched live

The switched live prob bypasses the pir

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭gian

Twister2 wrote: »
    Looks like u have a supply and a switched live

The switched live prob bypasses the pir

The supply and switch are the two brown together you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,669 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

gian wrote: »
    The supply and switch are the two brown together you reckon?

Was your light on its own switch and was there other lights that are on the same switch?

If so then the two brown wires together could be switch wires and the separate brown a permanent live wire.

Is it the only pir light you have or is there more as this might make a difference especially if they are switched separately?
    Have you a way to check if there is power in the wires?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    Was your light on its own switch and was there other lights that are on the same switch?

If so then the two brown wires together could be switch wires and the separate brown a permanent live wire.

Is it the only pir light you have or is there more as this might make a difference especially if they are switched separately?
    Have you a way to check if there is power in the wires?

The pir floodlight is inherited when I got the house so not sure what else is connected to it but I think it's only the pir light, there's power with one of the brown wire when I connect it to the led it gives it power without connecting to the neutral but not enough to fully light it up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The pir floodlight is inherited when I got the house so not sure what else is connected to it but I think it's only the pir light, there's power with one of the brown wire when I connect it to the led it gives it power without connecting to the neutral but not enough to fully light it up

Don't do that....

Danger of killing yourself.

I have found the LED lights with pir to be poor and some not work at all.

Much better having a separate pir fitting away from the light.

The browns quite possible you have permanent live and a switched supply so you can still have the sensors function but also override this and leave constant on.

• Advertisement

Don't do that....

Danger of killing yourself.

I have found the LED lights with pir to be poor and some not work at all.

Much better having a separate pir fitting away from the light.

The browns quite possible you have permanent live and a switched supply so you can still have the sensors function but also override this and leave constant on.

Sorry I didn't explain that properly the led doesn't have a pir sensor the previous halogen did, when I wore up the led to the a plug and connect it to the mains it works well do you reckon I should get a pir sensor for it to work with the wiring?

Sorry I didn't explain that properly the led doesn't have a pir sensor the previous halogen did, when I wore up the led to the a plug and connect it to the mains it works well do you reckon I should get a pir sensor for it to work with the wiring?

You basically just run the live to the pir and another back from it as the live to the light.

It's basically just a switch.

Really depends what you want yourself.

You basically just run the live to the pir and another back from it as the live to the light.

It's basically just a switch.

Really depends what you want yourself.

I want to be able to control it with the indoor switch without the use of a pir.

I want to be able to control it with the indoor switch without the use of a pir.

You need to check are you getting a permanent supply there whether switch is on or not and then obviously getting the switched live.

If you don't want a pir then wire it up to the live, neutral and earth.

You need to check are you getting a permanent supply there whether switch is on or not and then obviously getting the switched live.

If you don't want a pir then wire it up to the live, neutral and earth.

Yea I did wire it like that tried the three different live each but only one was giving me a permanent power.
    Probably need to get some multimeter to check it.

• Advertisement

Still looking for help on this

Still looking for help on this

Ok where are you stuck?

Ok where are you stuck?

Hi thanks for responding, still trying to figure out where I could stick the wires from the led flood light into the old wall wiring where my pir halogen flood light used to be connected to, the normal brown to brown and blue to blue doesn't give me the result I need..

Have you tried the single brown?

You need to find the live and check between the neutral and it to see what voltage.

Have you tried the single brown?

You need to find the live and check between the neutral and it to see what voltage.

Yes I have connected to it but it still doesn't work I guess the live is one of the two brown wires as it gives me a small bit of power when I connect it to the led floodlight

Yes I have connected to it but it still doesn't work I guess the live is one of the two brown wires as it gives me a small bit of power when I connect it to the led floodlight

Is there another connection behind the box or do you know where the cables are going or coming from.

Quite possible fault on neutral but can't say.

Is the new light just a light or has it a PIR fitted.

If a PIR is fitted I find these terrible to get working and they throw all sorts of faults.

Is there another connection behind the box or do you know where the cables are going or coming from.

Quite possible fault on neutral but can't say.

Is the new light just a light or has it a PIR fitted.

If a PIR is fitted I find these terrible to get working and they throw all sorts of faults.

Yea I need to find where it's connected because it should have given me some kind of power when I connected the wires interchangeably
    Old light was a fitted with a pir

Yea I need to find where it's connected because it should have given me some kind of power when I connected the wires interchangeably
    Old light was a fitted with a pir

Yes but LED I find can behave differently.... Depends of course.

Neutral fault could be quite possible as I said.

You need a meter to check the supply.

Advertisement