Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrical Supply Upgrade

Options
  • 07-11-2019 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys, I've been asked to carry out a supply upgrade for a premises, from 15kva to 20kva I am increasing the tails from 16s to 35s and the earth from 10s to 16s. However, the existing board is a standard domestic board, would I have to upgrade the board to a 100 amp rated board or will the existing board do if I change the main mcb and up size the panel flex and busbar, if so I then have issues with terminal sizes, opinions would be greatly appreciated please. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Basher85 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been asked to carry out a supply upgrade for a premises, from 15kva to 20kva I am increasing the tails from 16s to 35s and the earth from 10s to 16s.

I am assuming that this is a single phase supply (as you say existing board is a standard domestic board), please correct me if I am wrong...

At 230VAC 20kVA is around 87 amps. A 35 sq. mm cable would be more than capable of carrying this current. I am sure you have considered volt drop, earth fault loop impedance etc.
    However, the existing board is a standard domestic board, would I have to upgrade the board to a 100 amp rated board

The main considerations should be:
    1) What rating is the main fuse?
    2) Are the busbars rated for more than this rating? Is the panel flex?
    3) Can you terminate 35 mm sq. cables into the main fuse and main neutral bar?
    4) Have you enough space for bending radii of cables etc.? This can take up a lot of space.

Personally I would start again with a new board. Within the panel 16 mm sq. panel flex with ferrules should be fine. Ensure everything is really tight. Oversize the enclosure, it won't cost much extra and it will speed you up considerably, remember time is money too! Also you will inevitably fill the space at some stage. I would also go with RCBO's for almost every circuit. That way you can use double pole busbar for everything and the neutral bar will only have a few connections going to it. Everything becomes, neat, simple, quick and fault finding is very easy. Go for a large earth bar in the panel too, sometimes I even link two earth bars just to give me extra.

I am about to replace a distribution board myself, this is the approach I am taking.

Edit: To meet new requirements of the new rules IS10101 (that are not in force yet) consider installing a metal enclosure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

To add to above

The board will have a rating

The protective devices will have a rating

Busbar and panel flex will have a rating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

Standard domestic board would be 63 so like you said you'd need 100amp board

Advertisement