Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ to cease DAB broadcasting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Replace 2fm with gold would be the logical solution. Would save a fortune and probably gain listenership.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Replace 2fm with gold would be the logical solution. Would save a fortune and probably gain listenership.

There's something great about RTE Gold - simply a great variety of music that 4FM, Sunshine just never have gotten right.

When you think about it most of the songs played on RTE Gold were played first time round as new/current hits on Raidio Eireann/Radio 1 and 2FM, from the same building they are being played from now - the RTE Radio Centre!! (which may be demolished in order to free up more land to be sold at RTE).

If Gold closes, most of those songs will probably never be heard on RTE radio ever again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

Why, exactly, are they keeping 2FM? Anyone any ideas? Ten years ago it was self-funding but now they allocate about 6m in license fee funding to cover the commercial revenue shortfall. I rarely listen but it seems identical to Today, 104, etc. Is it so as to retain their reach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Una Mullally today chides RTE for backing DAB instead of podcasting, as though they are alternatives. According to her, it would seem, RTE's current fortunes can be attributed partly to its failure to properly podcast.

so Una Mullally berates RTE for not giving her another platform to spit bile at men. got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I’m really going to miss RTE 2XM :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Why, exactly, are they keeping 2FM? Anyone any ideas? Ten years ago it was self-funding but now they allocate about 6m in license fee funding to cover the commercial revenue shortfall. I rarely listen but it seems identical to Today, 104, etc. Is it so as to retain their reach?

Probably to say they have a pop station etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I'm really going to miss the digital channels particularly Gold and Radio 1 Extra.Hope there is a backlash like the one in the UK when the BBC were going to shut down BBC 6 Music!
    The only way the whole country can pick up the RTE digital stations offline is via television and I doubt many people listen to the radio on the television, If people are listening online, then they have a whole world of radio and music at their fingertips and don't have to relay on the mostly automated RTE Gold. Dab is completely untenable as it's only available in 3 cities.

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    DAB should have been nationwide and open to commercial broadcasters.

It is a disgrace RTE shutting it down.

Typical RTE

:rolleyes:

Zird wrote: »
    The only way the whole country can pick up the RTE digital stations offline is via television and I doubt many people listen to the radio on the television, If people are listening online, then they have a whole world of radio and music at their fingertips and don't have to relay on the mostly automated RTE Gold. Dab is completely untenable as it's only available in 3 cities.

According to wikipedia, it covers over half the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

According to wikipedia, it covers over half the population.

That'd be the most densely populated parts of the county. Just like when you see mobile phone or broadband stats. It's easy to get your percentages up when you include the Eastern seaboard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

There's something great about RTE Gold - simply a great variety of music that 4FM, Sunshine just never have gotten right.

When you think about it most of the songs played on RTE Gold were played first time round as new/current hits on Raidio Eireann/Radio 1 and 2FM, from the same building they are being played from now - the RTE Radio Centre!! (which may be demolished in order to free up more land to be sold at RTE).

If Gold closes, most of those songs will probably never be heard on RTE radio ever again.

If RTÉ is serious about becoming more sustainable they need to think more outside the box. Selling off plots of land at a very valuable location makes little sense when they should probably move the entire H.Q. to a much cheaper green field site.

They should also be prepared to listen and explore further an offer extended to RTÉ from the President of the University of Limerick (UL) who indicated they were willing to give RTÉ Lyric fm a new home on favourable terms due to RTÉ's lease on it's Limerick Studios coming to an end by the end of next year which has prompted Lyric FM's departure from it's Limerick base after 20 years. One gets the impression that no alternative will be considered even if it saves money and allows the service to continue to broadcast from the Mid-West Region. RTÉ will always opt to close regional studios but it forgets that it is there to serve the whole nation and should reflect it.

2FM was once relevant for the youth audience when there was no legal national alternative however; this has no longer been the case for quite some time and it beggars belief if millions are being pumped into it when it does nothing unique and it's audience demographic is choosing alternative sources for their music & entertainment. In the meantime, one of the RTÉ digital-only stations earmarked for closure, RTÉ Gold would have a more loyal audience as it's listener demographic is aimed primarily at older generations which would tend to be much slower at adopting to newer technologies. RTÉ Gold should replace RTÉ 2fm on 90-92 Mhz on FM. I am convinced that if RTÉ Gold had been on FM from it's inception it would have built up a more significant audience by now.

The Gombeenism about Limerick is pathetic.What difference does it make, where the person playing classical music from a computer is sitting? The most listened to show on lyric, the breakfast show has been broadcasting from D4 for the last decade with the grossly inefficient practice of the Limerick based producer having to travel to D4 regularly for meetings. It makes zero business sense in this day in age having stand alone radio studios. Every independent station in Dublin is now sharing with their sister station (s)

Even the commercial independent stations like Newstalk 106-108 still see benefits of broadcasting regularly direct from the regions as if they did not they would not have bothered to make the effort to maintain a presence in areas outside of the capital. I know in Cork they used to have a radio studio on Opera Lane for a number of years but when that facility was closed Newstalk/Today fm (Communicorp) sought a new partnership with the Republic of Work on South Mall to ensure a presence from the regions.

If a station is broadcasting beyond the pale it needs to reach out if it expects more listeners to tune in as they are also up against local/regionally based stations reading out items like the death notices on air. More listeners used to result in higher advertising revenue although now it's not guaranteed so they also need to stabilise what they've got and hope to grow it through other methods. I gather our major national stations (i.e.) RTÉ and private commercial station, Newstalk want to be seen in local areas like the National Ploughing Championships as it gives them more credibility to be there engaging with their target audience. If it did not make a difference, they would not bother to go there.

I think that if UL is calling RTÉ's bluff by offering them facilities at UL concert hall and RTÉ is not willing to avail of same it suggests there is more to this than merely a lease expiring especially if Lyric FM is to continue broadcasting from Dublin & Cork once the RTÉ Limerick studios close down next year.

Sources:
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/offer-to-house-lyric-fm-in-ul-by-the-universitys-president-still-stands-38680388.html

https://www.newstalk.com/news/newstalk-and-today-fm-announce-launch-of-new-broadcast-studio-in-cork-487411

Even the commercial independent stations like Newstalk 106-108 still see benefits of broadcasting regularly direct from the regions as if they did not they would not have bothered to make the effort to maintain a presence in areas outside of the capital. I know in Cork they used to have a radio studio on Opera Lane for a number of years but when that facility was closed Newstalk/Today fm (Communicorp) sought a new partnership with the Republic of Work on South Mall to ensure a presence from the regions.

If a station is broadcasting beyond the pale it needs to reach out if it expects more listeners to tune in as they are also up against local/regionally based stations reading out items like the death notices on air. More listeners used to result in higher advertising revenue although now it's not guaranteed so they also need to stabilise what they've got and hope to grow it through other methods. I gather our major national stations (i.e.) RTÉ and private commercial station, Newstalk want to be seen in local areas like the National Ploughing Championships as it gives them more credibility to be there engaging with their target audience. If it did not make a difference, they would not bother to go there.

I think that if UL is calling RTÉ's bluff by offering them facilities at UL concert hall and RTÉ is not willing to avail of same it suggests there is more to this than merely a lease expiring especially if Lyric FM is to continue broadcasting from Dublin & Cork once the RTÉ Limerick studios close down next year.

Sources:
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/offer-to-house-lyric-fm-in-ul-by-the-universitys-president-still-stands-38680388.html

https://www.newstalk.com/news/newstalk-and-today-fm-announce-launch-of-new-broadcast-studio-in-cork-487411

Of course there's more to it, they want the surplus to requirement Limerick staff as well as will leahy to take redundancy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

To me it would make far more sense to dump 2FM and launch RTÉ Gold on 90-92

Gap in the market
    More radio friendly demographic
    Foundations of station in place

Of course there's more to it, they want the surplus to requirement Limerick staff as well as will leahy to take redundancy.

The irony is that RTÉ should probably have approached UL when they originally went about establishing RTÉ Lyric FM back in 1999 as it would have been more cost efficient anyway particularly on a service that was targeting such a niche audience demographic. Long time presenters transferring from one station to another will usually come with strings attached/legacy terms whether they are based in the regions or D4 I suspect and I can also think of others on Lyric FM, RTÉ Gold, RTÉ 2fm etc;

by moving Lyric to Cork, RTE hope some staff based in Limerick will take up redundancy

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Jonathan1990

I think RTÉ Gold should broadcast on 252 LW now the transmitter has been upgraded and postponed to switching off numerous times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Lovenova

Una Mullally today chides RTE for backing DAB instead of podcasting, as though they are alternatives. According to her, it would seem, RTE's current fortunes can be attributed partly to its failure to properly podcast.

She’s got it very wrong for 3 reasons 1. I’m not aware of any great expertise she has in the business 2. Radio and podcasts are not complimentary, they’re often competing against each other and the podcast generation is turning its back on radio. Even if it were true RTÉ radio has a massive digital archive available on podcast. Reminds me of some minnenial I read recently who claimed RTÉ is not employing enough talented newbies - Jesus wept - 2fm and the like are full of those google broadcasters ps young audience under about 25 has switched off radio and tv so pointless that they’re target audience

• Advertisement

The irony is that RTÉ should probably have approached UL when they originally went about establishing RTÉ Lyric FM back in 1999 as it would have been more cost efficient anyway particularly on a service that was targeting such a niche audience demographic. Long time presenters transferring from one station to another will usually come with strings attached/legacy terms whether they are based in the regions or D4 I suspect and I can also think of others on Lyric FM, RTÉ Gold, RTÉ 2fm etc;

Closing limerick is a red herring

She’s got it very wrong for 3 reasons 1. I’m not aware of any great expertise she has in the business 2. Radio and podcasts are not complimentary, they’re often competing against each other and the podcast generation is turning its back on radio. Even if it were true RTÉ radio has a massive digital archive available on podcast. Reminds me of some minnenial I read recently who claimed RTÉ is not employing enough talented newbies - Jesus wept - 2fm and the like are full of those google broadcasters ps young audience under about 25 has switched off radio and tv so pointless that they’re target audience

by moving Lyric to Cork, RTE hope some staff based in Limerick will take up redundancy

I understand Lyric FM is to be shared between Dublin & Cork. Also said to become "much reduced" in size which may result in an effective downgrade of RTÉ Lyric FM after the RTÉ Limerick Studios close down next year.

Source:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/shock-at-scale-of-rt%C3%A9-cutbacks-despite-years-of-financial-woe-1.4076668

Lovenova wrote: »
    Closing limerick is a red herring

One could probably say the same about closing Aertel and all the RTÉ Digital-Only radio stations.

I'd close RTÉ 2fm and put RTÉ Gold on the same frequency 90-92FM as you would have an older audience who would listen to GOLD on FM if it was made available and promoted properly.

I'd also close RTÉ News Now & RTÉjr as both cannot justify their existence in terms of viability given that they have no revenue stream with no commercial advertising permitted on those channels much the same as the RTÉ Digital-Only radio stations like RTÉ Pulse, RTÉ 2XM etc;

I think RTÉjr tv channel is in the same boat as RTÉ News Now while programme content on RTÉjr is also said to be still going out on RTÉ 2 tv which makes no sense whatsoever. This would be like Cbeebies/CBBC still going out on BBC One tv in the afternoons while Cbeebies/CBBC exist or Citv doing likewise on ITV despite you having a dedicated Citv channel.

I think RTÉ Gold should broadcast on 252 LW now the transmitter has been upgraded and postponed to switching off numerous times.

Music on Longwave 252kHZ sounded awful in the past - I reckon it's one of the main reasons Atlantic 252 met it's demise. RTÉ Radio 1 on LW 252 may have been extended following transmitter maintenance but I've heard plenty of complaints about the poor signal being drowned out by an Algerian station.

Music on Longwave 252kHZ sounded awful in the past - I reckon it's one of the main reasons Atlantic 252 met it's demise. RTÉ Radio 1 on LW 252 may have been extended following transmitter maintenance but I've heard plenty of complaints about the poor signal being drowned out by an Algerian station.

Yes I've also heard about people wanting it moving to 261 LW.

• Advertisement

Music on Longwave 252kHZ sounded awful in the past - I reckon it's one of the main reasons Atlantic 252 met it's demise.

No way. Music on Atlantic 1989 to 2001 - sounded great...on full power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

:confused:
    It always sounded like it was being broadcast from a phone box to me. Terrible audio. Those used to FM quality broadcasts and the likes of Spotify would not tolerate LW audio now.

Now I'm not a fan of 2FM but been thinking about its remit, the past few days.

Salaries aside I think it does still serve a public service.
    People point to Spin or Q or others but there really is very little youth focused radio, outside the capital region.

Cork's 96fm and Red FM are playing in that sphere only in a part-time fashion.
    Same with TodayFM. 4FM don't even pretend to aim there.

Public service stations do not need to be profit turning (same as Irish Rail and our Bus services).
    BUT they should not be wasteful, which 2FM most definitely is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,135 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

People point to Spin or Q or others but there really is very little youth focused radio, outside the capital region.

But shouldn't the question be what would the shape of youth focused radio be if 2FM weren't in the picture?
    And does that justify spending €7 million of the licence fee on it?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Ah I love the nostalgia and the difference in style of Atlantic 252 as it was very refreshing when it first launched around September 1989. Ireland's first national commercial station, Century Radio started only a few days after Atlantic 252 broadcasting debut. Atlantic 252 was such an innovative station but the one question mark for me was always the sound quality for listening to music. Unfortunately, LW Mono is hollow and distant in comparison to FM Stereo in my opinion.

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    But shouldn't the question be what would the shape of youth focused radio be if 2FM weren't in the picture?

It would be nothing I feel. No commercial station will devote itself to a youth market, in Ireland, as the advertisers will not follow.

And no it is not worth half that and it is typical RTÉ waste and salaries for the boys/girls (presenting and production)

Cork's 96fm and Red FM are playing in that sphere only in a part-time fashion.
    Same with TodayFM. 4FM don't even pretend to aim there.

Public service stations do not need to be profit turning (same as Irish Rail and our Bus services).
    BUT they should not be wasteful, which 2FM most definitely is.

There's an independent youth licence for every region of the country, Beat, Spin south west west, I Radio.

odyssey06 wrote: »

2FM's biggest programme by a mile was "The Gerry Ryan Show" back in the day which started out in March 1988. I've no doubt that some young people occasionally listened to it although; many would have been at school/college as it was broadcast between 09:00am - 12noon on weekdays so; I guess younger adults mainly listened to it as the older audience were probably still tuning into Gay Byrne on Radio 1 until he retired from his Radio 1 weekday show on Christmas Eve 1998.

Gerry Ryan and his "Ryan Line" was the show on 2FM that carried the station's advertising revenue stream for many years apparently. RTÉ and 2FM panicked when he died in April 2010 as they had nobody that could fill the gap despite that station undergoing revamp after revamp and it's still experimenting.

The BAI should be responsible for shaping a policy that reaches out to the youth of today. RTÉ cannot be expected to cover every option any more as things have long since moved on not just in terms of a more liberal broadcasting scene with so many niche licences but also with changes to newer technologies. It was a very different scene back in May 1979 when RTÉ Radio 2 first launched with it's "Comin' At Ya!" slogan. By the late 2000's and especially since Gerry Ryan's untimely death, 2FM has been limping on and on trying to be relevant when it's clearly no longer the case.

What is the point in having a youth radio station if today's youth may not even bother tuning into it by choice?

2FM's biggest programme by a mile was "The Gerry Ryan Show" back in the day which started out in March 1988. I've no doubt that some young people occasionally listened to it although; many would have been at school/college as it was broadcast between 09:00am - 12noon on weekdays so; I guess younger adults mainly listened to it as the older audience were probably still tuning into Gay Byrne on Radio 1 until he retired from his Radio 1 weekday show on Christmas Eve 1998.

Gerry Ryan and his "Ryan Line" was the show on 2FM that carried the station's advertising revenue stream for many years apparently. RTÉ and 2FM panicked when he died in April 2010 as they had nobody that could fill the gap despite that station undergoing revamp after revamp and it's still experimenting.

The BAI should be responsible for shaping a policy that reaches out to the youth of today. RTÉ cannot be expected to cover every option any more as things have long since moved on not just in terms of a more liberal broadcasting scene with so many niche licences but also with changes to newer technologies. It was a very different scene back in May 1979 when RTÉ Radio 2 first launched with it's "Comin' At Ya!" slogan. By the late 2000's and especially since Gerry Ryan's untimely death, 2FM has been limping on and on trying to be relevant when it's clearly no longer the case.

What is the point in having a youth radio station if today's youth may not even bother tuning into it by choice?

Its wasted on the waveband and should be replaced by RTE Gold,there is a market for older listeners who are into their music and who don't just listen to news radio all day. Judging by the feedback on RTE Golds FB page and posts here on boards,its looks to be a very popular station!

Its wasted on the waveband and should be replaced by RTE Gold,there is a market for older listeners who are into their music and who don't just listen to news radio all day. Judging by the feedback on RTE Golds FB page and posts here on boards,its looks to be a very popular station!

I think that they should have swapped.

Push the entire 2FM to online and bring Gold to FM
    But scrapping everything that could grow seems better :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Just a few miles up the road and things with DAB are SO different !

(Had posted dropbox link but had issues with that - will try another video platform later)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Exactly!

I wonder if RTE Gold was in the jnlr would any of that online support translate into real listenership numbers? My guess is No!

I wonder if RTE Gold was in the jnlr would any of that online support translate into real listenership numbers? My guess is No!

I think its a risk worth taking by RTE! BBC Radio 2 is a great station for older listeners who are past the chart pop scene so why wouldn't a similar type of station work here!

I think its a risk worth taking by RTE! BBC Radio 2 is a great station for older listeners who are past the chart pop scene so why wouldn't a similar type of station work here!

When advertising revenue is so fragile, any revolution is a big risk. According to the annual report, transmission costs are over 5m, before any programming costs are accounted for. If they replace it with Gold, they still need to cover those costs without any certainty that listeners or advertisers will be attracted. At this stage, RTE should only cut and consolidate, not revolutionise.

• Advertisement

Will Ireland still receive any British DAB stations anywhere in the country?

Still receive?

If RTE Gold remains, lets hope RTE don't ruin it. Just leave it the way it is.

If RTE Gold remains, lets hope RTE don't ruin it. Just leave it the way it is.

Unfortunately it looks like it won’t be staying unless you heard something I haven’t.
    In the unlikely event that it remains it will probably change and have to play out adverts on it to gain revenue.

Unfortunately it looks like it won’t be staying unless you heard something I haven’t.
    In the unlikely event that it remains it will probably change and have to play out adverts on it to gain revenue.

Is it possible for RTE to leave Gold on smartphone, web, saorview and get rid of it on DAB?

Maybe if they sacked all the staff and made up a Spotify play list.

I reckon if RTÉ Gold had originally been positioned on a more suitable platform so that it's target audience (primarily aged over 40's) would be more inclined to tune in if the station was available for broadcast on the FM wavelength.

Perhaps another option would be for it to share bandwidth with either Lyric FM or 2FM say from 7pm right through til 7am on a trial basis to gauge what level of listenership it might attract on FM and tweak it further if necessary. Right now it is hard to tell as it's only on FM some nights from 02:00am or 03:00am-05:30am under the programme strand "Gold on Radio 1" on RTÉ Radio 1 on FM / LW252 etc;

Is it possible for RTE to leave Gold on smartphone, web, saorview and get rid of it on DAB?

RTÉ indicated that they would be closing the various RTÉ digital-only radio stations altogether. The national broadcaster did not suggest that it was only the DAB signal itself that would cease.

Not sure if anything will subsequently change following their public announcement last week and discussions with the government over the matter. I imagine the priority will be job losses, redundancy terms, cutbacks towards achieving the target savings within a specific time-frame.

Sadly this formula was tried once before when the multi-city licence station was originally granted to 4FM (later rebranded to "Classic Hits". 4FM was very similar to BBC Radio 2 in it's early days and had a licence to broadcast to the Dublin commuter belt as well as Cork, Limerick, Galway and Clare.

Today the station known as: "Classic Hits" bears little or no resemblance to it's earlier incarnation as 4FM.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/veterans-back-on-the-airwaves-as-4fm-launches-85562.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Maybe if they sacked all the staff and made up a Spotify play list.

music is played off a pc anyway so no need for a spotify playlist.
    so the presenters would be the only real cost, unless in the unlikely event rte had other work lined up for them anyway.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

Advertisement