Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brendan Shanahan laying down the law.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I've been watching his little explanations and think they're fantastic, though I do get the feeling he's been watching too much Unsolved Mysteries on road trips over the years. I'm sure the players will all be checking the NHL site more regularly now to watch these explanations.

PS - Thread title needs to be changed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4cyauCH_gg

0:55 on... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

He is right to do so!

The amount of talent on the IR because of cheap hits is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Let me fist say as I post the video of this hit (and subsequent comment) that I am a Chicago Blackhawks fan. There is no secret about that. In saying that, I am also not a 'homer'. There is right and there is wrong. My #1 concern is always 'what is fair'.

Here is Detroit Head Coach Mike Babcock's take on this hit.
    "Is there any responsibility on the puck carrier -- toe dragging, sliding sideways -- to look... after himself," Babcock said. "I'm not saying our guy isn't guilty, but you'd better not put yourself in those situations.

I hate that just about every NHL Head coach/General Manager plays their 'homer card' every time on of their players does something like this.

Let me throw this into the mix. I 100% believe that there was no malice intended in this hit. Ben Smith deeked Brendan Smith out of position as he was making his move to the net. That being said, the onus is still on the defensive player to not make dangerous hits, especially to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

Just seen it now that them tread name says Ryan shanahan?

Is that correct???

Izy wrote: »
    Just seen it now that them tread name says Ryan shanahan?

Is that correct???

I'm an idiot.....and I have tried to change it without any luck,

• Advertisement

I think this may be a case of having made an example of too many players in the pre-season so far, and being reluctant to let anything go in case they are seen as favouring a team or a player. One thing is for sure, Shanahan has been a busy man the last week or two.

I don't like the wording he uses in the latest expanation though; he claims Smith "recklessly targets his opponents head". I think most people can see that wasn't the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

First off.. i have 2 mint condition shanahan stick blades which i never used - they are awesome! Probs never will use them either now im playing with composite :pac:

I think that hit was fair, totally the puck carriers fault for letting that happen to him. Hes in open ice and hes a professional player. His head should be on a swivel.

red_ice wrote: »
    I think that hit was fair, totally the puck carriers fault for letting that happen to him. Hes in open ice and hes a professional player. His head should be on a swivel.

Any hit to the head is going to draw a penalty and suspension this season. The onus is on the defensive player to make sure that he does not make contact with the head.

Leblanc hit on Semin

Here is another hit that will be reviewed as it was ruled on the ice that Leblanc hit Semin in the head.

As stated above, I am a Chicago Blackhawks fan. I hate it when people are 'homers' and don't look to what actually happened. I am honestly not sure if Leblanc hit Semin in the head on this play.

PeterLeblanchitonSemin.gif

Should be interesting to see what happens with this in New York.

• Advertisement

The backlash against these rulings is in full flow now, after PM Bouchard's (fairly ridiculous) 2 game ban for a high-stick. Given that Bouchard himself has missed 110 games through concussion and is hardly a regular in the penalty box, a suspension worth almost $45k seems pretty harsh for a dubious call. Surely a double-minor should suffice on incidents like this, where malice (or lack thereof) and previous history should be taken into account.

Advertisement