Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you use your car to commute in and out of Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It may not be the purpose of them but many bus lanes are Monday to Saturday with designated times that motorists may use them legitimately for their own benefit, such as after 7.00pm. I use them outside of these hours and often I'm the only car driving past oblivious fellow motorists.
    A lot of people tend to have it ingrained in them not to use them at all.
    I'm generally like that, I have to remind myself that they're not all 24hr bus lanes and can be used at certain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

Yes kildare to Dublin n7 is a pain in the hole but the commute home has got better with the m7 upgrade work nearing completion

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

There's some absolute morons driving around the city. During rush hour stand still traffic, cars are leaving several meters infront of them while on their phones.

I get the on the phone bit but what about leaving such distance between cars? Do they not know how big/small their cars are?

Leaving tiny gaps between cars prevents them from maneuvering out of the way for the emergency services (if required).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

There's some absolute morons driving around the city. During rush hour stand still traffic, cars are leaving several meters infront of them while on their phones.

I get the on the phone bit but what about leaving such distance between cars? Do they not know how big/small their cars are?

What do you mean by several? Lessons and tests are guiding newer drivers tonbe able to see both tires and tarmac between you and the car in front, while waiting in traffic. That can be almost 2 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

What do you mean by several? Lessons and tests are guiding newer drivers tonbe able to see both tires and tarmac between you and the car in front, while waiting in traffic. That can be almost 2 metres.

2 metres yes absolutely but not 5/6 metres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If often good practice. It allows you to move out if you need to.

Also is a buffer in case you get shunted from behind, launching you into the car in front. Which if you are sitting with your foot on the brake in crawling traffic can be jolted off in the impact.

If the traffic is so bad, that a couple of meters is critical. I'd be considering other options.

Sometimes its often easier to allow a gap to build then move forward slowly. In that way your always moving, and not constantly stopping and starting which is harder on the car and driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

If everyone on the quays left 5 meters in front of them, I cant imagine the issues it would cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

I commute into merrion sq from D15

Door-to-door:
    25 mins by motorbike
    35 mins by train
    1hr by bus
    1hr+ by car

Normally take the bike, but take the train once a month if I'm heading out after work.

It can take less by car, if I leave the house before 7am.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Leaving tiny gaps between cars prevents them from maneuvering out of the way for the emergency services (if required).

That almost never happens. I've seen countless people oblivious to the flashing lights and sirens right behind them

• Advertisement

If everyone on the quays left 5 meters in front of them, I cant imagine the issues it would cause.

Who cares. You'd need to be crazy to go anywhere via the quays.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    That almost never happens. I've seen countless people oblivious to the flashing lights and sirens right behind them

I've seen countless people move out of the way. ;)

beauf wrote: »

I'd hope so, seeing as that's what you're supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

beauf wrote: »

True, I was working on a job with the Dublin Fire Brigade and this came up, consensus from the professionals that Dublin drivers are very very respectful and almost always move out of the way for emergency service vehicles.

Re; leaving space... I always leave a couple of metres wiggle room for manoeuvre for myself and others. Handy for motorbikes and bikes filtering in traffic, pedestrians crossing etc...

Back on topic, some of your commutes sound pretty gnarly. We need massive investment in public transport.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    True, I was working on a job with the Dublin Fire Brigade and this came up, consensus from the professionals that Dublin drivers are very very respectful and almost always move out of the way for emergency service vehicles.

Re; leaving space... I always leave a couple of metres wiggle room for manoeuvre for myself and others. Handy for motorbikes and bikes filtering in traffic, pedestrians crossing etc...

Back on topic, some of your commutes sound pretty gnarly. We need massive investment in public transport.

Would most use it though? Comfort is #1 for me and I can't be the only one. Granted they'll try tax us out of the car but it would want to be a fair tax before I'd want to share my commute with God knows who.

Would most use it though? Comfort is #1 for me and I can't be the only one. Granted they'll try tax us out of the car but it would want to be a fair tax before I'd want to share my commute with God knows who.

Yeah, I hear you, but I can see a congestion charge in the future along with massively reduced parking or a parking tax in the city. They'd want to seriously improve the public transport though.

Sharing your commute?? I guess that's just part of city working in most European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I have to commute through the city, My car is an absolute no brainier as public transport takes 3 times longer, Or in a lot of cases there is simply no public transport running at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

I commute from North Wicklow to Swords. Start at 8 and finish at 4. But I could be onsite in the city or out in Dundrum during the day depending on whats happening. No way would I do that on public transport.

For the craic I just used google maps to calculate what time to leave to get here for 8 using public transport.

5:08 AM!!!! 2 Hours and 47 mins by car good day 50 mins bad day 90. And leaving at 16:00 Id be home by 18:30. I am usually home in the car by 5.

That is an extra 3 hours a day or more travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Too far out to rely on the bus timetables and train is too expensive. Car gives me flexibility public transport is lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Drive from Maynooth to the Red Cow P&R and get the Luas into work as the office is at the last stop (The Point) and not a hope I'm driving this far into town.
    Did Maynooth to Cherrywood for 3 years and somehow didn't end up in jail for multiple murders, that was torture.

M4 seems to have gotten a lot busier recently. What used to take maybe 30 minutes can take up to an hour, depending on how many crashes there are/where they are/how many rubberneckers there are for flashy lights on the other side of the road.

Coming home as well is weird. Traffic moves reasonably well on the N4 until you get to where it becomes the M4, then it's like a car park.

Why don't you get the Maynooth train to Connolly and walk/hope on the Luas from there.
    I do this from Hazelhatch and wouldn't even think about driving to the Red Cow, or City West to pick up the Luas

• Advertisement

The Mulk wrote: »
    Why don't you get the Maynooth train to Connolly and walk/hope on the Luas from there.
    I do this from Hazelhatch and wouldn't even think about driving to the Red Cow, or City West to pick up the Luas
    Gym is on the Luas route back to the Red Cow so it's better in my case. Otherwise I'd be on the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Gym is on the Luas route back to the Red Cow so it's better in my case. Otherwise I'd be on the train.

That makes sense, I was trying to figure the logistics out.
    I work between the last two stops on the Luas, it's a pig of a location at the moment, but we've free parking and flexible start/finish times for when i need to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Work in Dublin and live in Kildare started cycling to work 3 years ago a couple of days a week now leave the car at home 99% of the time now almost 6000km done commuting this year.

The Mulk wrote: »
    That makes sense, I was trying to figure the logistics out.
    I work between the last two stops on the Luas, it's a pig of a location at the moment, but we've free parking and flexible start/finish times for when i need to drive.
    Yeah if it wasn't for that, I'd have no need to drive anywhere near Dublin at all.
    Parking around there is sparse at best, seems more people are working down there lately as well, usually the Luas is half empty at that stage, now it's at Spencer Dock before it clears out properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Doop

I cover a fair length of the grand canal, starting at inchcore working at baggot st...
    45-1hr in the car both ways
    15mins cycle
    .... no brainer really, have to take the car in once or twice every two weeks which is a pain.

It seems we'll never get transport right in this city... less we adopt some radical approaches (and elect politicians who are prepared to make tough choices)

tnegun wrote: »
    Work in Dublin and live in Kildare started cycling to work 3 years ago a couple of days a week now leave the car at home 99% of the time now almost 6000km done commuting this year.

Fair fooks! Legs of iron!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭tnegun

Ah it's nothing compared to some other guys, gets a bit addictive though wanting to hit the 200k in the week! Plus the health benefits am the fittest I've been since college and probably the lightest 5/6 kg down without really trying.

Advertisement