Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE closing it's Digital stations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Wonder what will happen to the presenters who were pushed out of the young, hip hop happening 2FM - Larry Gogan, Will Leahy, Rick O'Shea(sure he has the new Book show on Radio 1)
    Saw that Will Leahy had a bit of a rant this morning - in fairness its bad form to find out by media that the station you work for is closing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have never listened to one of these digital stations.

I would guess their listening figures are low.

What did Will say? Missed that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have never listened to one of these digital stations.

I would guess their listening figures are low.

I listened to lyric on DAB when I was working at home.. better sound quality but beyond that nothing else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

zorro2566 wrote: »
    What did Will say? Missed that!

Click on the 'rant' hyperlink in post #2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We listen to RTE Gold in work. This is very disappointing. No doubt the boss will turn it back to Today FM now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

We listen to RTE Gold in work. This is very disappointing. No doubt the boss will turn it back to Today FM now :(

Apparently Will Leahy did a one hour rant this morning on RTE Gold, interspersed with a few songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

There is another thread about RTE to cease DAB broadcasting. Both this thread and the other thread started at the same time so it's nobody's fault really.

Maybe the two threads should be merged. I was thinking this one could be subsumed within the other thread as the other is bit more general in its heading. This one is slightly more specific.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058028816

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

They are shutting down the DAB services, why can't they keep them online only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

TallGlass2 wrote:
    They are shutting down the DAB services, why can't they keep them online only?

Because they are a massive waste of money with approx 10 listeners each.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I presume the closures are more to do with the salaries of the presenters and production crew. I assume Today FM's online stations don't cost them a lot to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I presume the closures are more to do with the salaries of the presenters and production crew. I assume Today FM's online stations don't cost them a lot to run.

I wouldn't fully count on that .

Rick O' Shea will be taking over the Book Show so no saving of his wages indeed most of them who have gone onto it on recent times are staffers so RTE can't just get rid of them .

I think part of the reason for the closure may be to get the Government to give the BAI a kick up the arse over it's treatment of DAB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Zird

Exactly, Tho if Aidan Leonard, Rick O'Shea and Will leahy refuse to take voluntary redundancy, they'll probably have to be shoehorned back on to the 2fm weekend schedule.

SPDUB wrote: »
    I think part of the reason for the closure may be to get the Government to give the BAI a kick up the arse over it's treatment of DAB

The government don't know what Dab is let alone to care about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Zird wrote: »
    Exactly, Tho if Aidan Leonard, Rick O'Shea and Will leahy refuse to take voluntary redundancy, they'll probably have to be shoehorned back on to the 2fm weekend schedule.

That means they wouldn't actually save any money from closing it just transfer it internally , and you can refuse voluntary redundancy, ,

So then what's the actual saving ?

SPDUB wrote: »
    That means they wouldn't actually save any money from closing it just transfer it internally , and you can refuse voluntary redundancy, ,

So then what's the actual saving ?

Dee Forbes seems to be just hoping that people will go when their jobs are gone, she said about the closure of the lyric HQ "we'll probably lose people in the move regrettably"

The only way they're going to cut the jobs that need to go is by involuntary redundancies. Chopping a Will Leahy here or an Aidan Leonard there isn't going to solve the problem. I don't know how good or bad any of the people behind the scenes are but they're the ones who are in the crosshairs.

I'd love to know how did Will leahy and Rick O'Shea manage to get such a golden goose opportunity to made RTE staff as 2fm djs.

Perhaps offering permanent contracts was the done thing back when they started working for RTE? They're there a long time and things were different 15-20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Funny, I've said that about 2FM more than once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Zird wrote: »
    I'd love to know how did Will leahy and Rick O'Shea manage to get such a golden goose opportunity to made RTE staff as 2fm djs.

Leahy is also a full time Solicitor with his family firm...

Other 2FM presenters who must have got permanent at that time are Dan Hegarty and Cormac Battle

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pete Best

Perhaps, if DAB in the ROI had better coverage there might have been more than 10 listeners.

It’s a similar scenario to the Century Radio fiasco. A nationwide transmitter network was why Radio Ireland/Today FM succeeded whereas Century Radio failed.

DAB at three transmitter sites with half a dozen stations was never going to cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,149 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Pete Best wrote: »
    Perhaps, if DAB in the ROI had better coverage there might have been more than 10 listeners.

It’s a similar scenario to the Century Radio fiasco. A nationwide transmitter network was why Radio Ireland/Today FM succeeded whereas Century Radio failed.

DAB at three transmitter sites with half a dozen stations was never going to cut it.

correct, all though to be fair to rte, they didn't have the money to increase coverage once the recession hit.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

correct, all though to be fair to rte, they didn't have the money to increase coverage once the recession hit.
    Might have had some cash, if they didn't spend a small fortune on transmission gear :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Could a Mod fix the thread title?

They could do with merging some of the threads too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Paul Pott

Does anyone know a Ballpark figure of what the dab transmissions from the 5? Transmitter sites would be costing RTE ?

Advertisement