Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing install of electric towel heater

Options
  • 29-12-2017 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys I was hoping to get an approx price to install an electric towel heater in my bathroom. I have the towel heater just need to have it installed as there's currently no sockets in the bathroom. Any ideas how much I'd be looking at?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

erclncy wrote: »
    Hi guys I was hoping to get an approx price to install an electric towel heater in my bathroom. I have the towel heater just need to have it installed as there's currently no sockets in the bathroom. Any ideas how much I'd be looking at?

You'll need to provide a lot more info for anyone to give even the roughest of quotes for this. For example how old is the house? What type of wall are you putting it on? If you are putting it on a brick wall the wall would probably need to be chased unless there is a socket on the opposite side of the wall. If you need to chase the wall you would need to allow for the cost of plastering and repainting the wall( an electrician won't do this so a separate tradesman or tradesmen will be required).
    If it is to be mounted on a stud wall it will be easier but still may involve patching the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 erclncy

I got someone in to price it. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Suggest you also get a timer installed to control it at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 18 princesspe1

erclncy wrote: »
    I got someone in to price it. Thanks for the info.

How much was the price? Looking myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Dardania wrote: »
    Suggest you also get a timer installed to control it at the same time

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this seems to best place to ask this.

Further to the comment above, I am getting an electric towel rail retrofitted into my en suite bathrom. Its a new house (2017) but we stupidly left out the bathroom radiator and put in underfloor heating (which doesn't work properly for complicated reasons I will spare you) instead.

I would like it to be on a timer but in trying to buy the towel heater from various bathroom stores, the only ones with a timer are coming with wifi ready, all singing all dancing timers costing nearly €200 (on top of the cost of the towel heater itself).

I will be getting an electrician to fit this. Can he / she add some very simple timer (even one of those basic mechanical clock face things where you press down individual pins to set it) when wiring this up? Alternative could the electrician just have this ending in a 3 pin plug on the bedroom side of the wall (where the wire needs to be pulled from anyway) which I could then plug into the wall through one of those basic €10 timer plugs you see in DIY stores?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but this seems to best place to ask this.

Further to the comment above, I am getting an electric towel rail retrofitted into my en suite bathrom. Its a new house (2017) but we stupidly left out the bathroom radiator and put in underfloor heating (which doesn't work properly for complicated reasons I will spare you) instead.

I would like it to be on a timer but in trying to buy the towel heater from various bathroom stores, the only ones with a timer are coming with wifi ready, all singing all dancing timers costing nearly €200 (on top of the cost of the towel heater itself).

I will be getting an electrician to fit this. Can he / she add some very simple timer (even one of those basic mechanical clock face things where you press down individual pins to set it) when wiring this up? Alternative could the electrician just have this ending in a 3 pin plug on the bedroom side of the wall (where the wire needs to be pulled from anyway) which I could then plug into the wall through one of those basic €10 timer plugs you see in DIY stores?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

This will need to be hardwired to a switched fused spur outlet (positioned outside the bathroom)
    The circuit will need to be connected directly to your distribution board and be rcd protected.

Your electrician can install a simple time clock anywhere on the circuit or in the distribution board itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

meercat wrote: »
    This will need to be hardwired to a switched fused spur outlet (positioned outside the bathroom)
    The circuit will need to be connected directly to your distribution board and be rcd protected.

Your electrician can install a simple time clock anywhere on the circuit or in the distribution board itself.

many thanks

Advertisement