Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

religion in primary school

Options
  • 12-11-2019 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

our daughter is in junior infant in a catholic school.

we are of muslim faith - now today my wife was approached by the teacher asking about religion classes, if we want our daughter to attend.

my wife declined, but she just called me to ask about that. we are considering to let her participate anyway.

the question is, what exactly is taught? because if its on an educational/informational basis, we would like our daughter to attend, she obviously should know about christianity living in this country.

but if the pupils are, for the lack of better words, indoctrinated, in those classes, then we would prefer her not to attend.

so, whats going on in those classes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Cailin CoisFarraige

Your best option I think would be to ask the teacher if you can have a look at the children's "Grow in Love" book, which is the programme used for Religious Education in Catholic primary schools. This should give you an idea of what your daughter will be learning/ Most of what is taught in the infant classes is about treating each other and the environment with respect, caring for others etc., but there are of course some Bible stories and prayers to be learned.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Personally I found it ott and an indoctrination in to the catholic faith.
    2nd class is by far the worst and is a very very hard year in some schools if you do not have a child doing communion.
    I let my kids do religion in irish school but also at home educated them about world religions and that different people have different faiths and they are entitled to believe in what they want to and we have to respect that.
    We didn't get alot of respect in return for our beliefs or lack there of in return though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mod Note Reminder re religion in schools charter:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056377658
    Talk to the teacher.

Advertisement