Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring and Gas upgrade

Options
  • 04-11-2019 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi, I know that this will be vague but not sure what details I can provide to help:

Looking to know estimates for rewiring and gas upgrades for a house I’m hoping to buy. 3 bed terraced ex-corp house. Not even the fuse box has been upgraded! Would be looking to install a few more sockets too, around 8 I would think.

Also new boiler and would need about 7-8 radiators as there are currently none on the property.

If anyone could tell me roughly how long these take and if it’s at all possible to live on the property while this is happening! Would be happy to live in one room as long as we could still shower there and plug in tv/phone/fridge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Depends on job you want as with these types of houses nearly everything will be surface mounted.
    May be worth looking at drywall and insulation and have services mounted behind.

Electrical work I'd say for very basic anywhere from €3,500 upwards.

Gas again depends what you need as most likely a complete set up as in new pipes and rads.

If the house is empty and empty of most furniture or items that are in the way this will help speed up.the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Idonotknow wrote: »
    Hi, I know that this will be vague but not sure what details I can provide to help:

Looking to know estimates for rewiring and gas upgrades for a house I’m hoping to buy. 3 bed terraced ex-corp house. Not even the fuse box has been upgraded! Would be looking to install a few more sockets too, around 8 I would think.

Also new boiler and would need about 7-8 radiators as there are currently none on the property.

If anyone could tell me roughly how long these take and if it’s at all possible to live on the property while this is happening! Would be happy to live in one room as long as we could still shower there and plug in tv/phone/fridge

You should also consider insulation for attic and pumped walls if possible.
    There are Grant's for heating controls and insulation.
    Does it need to be fully plumbed? The house may have old gunbarrell pipes that need replacing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This sounds like a rewire, and you won't get a rewire done for €3,500

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

2011 wrote: »
    This sounds like a rewire, and you won't get a rewire done for €3,500

What would the average rewire on a 3bed house cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Naos wrote: »
    What would the average rewire on a 3bed house cost?

Upwards of 7/8k I’d say is more like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,074 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Upwards of 7/8k I’d say is more like it

Even more at the moment unfortunately...roll on the next recession! :P

Advertisement