Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braid directly to jig

Options
  • 01-10-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

Well got back into fishing this year after a long hiatus and im hopefully going to target a 2lb perch this autumn/winter.Ok so i bought a lovely 6ft 2-10gr rod and way too may jigs and various size jig heads 2-6gr and filled a small reel with 12lb braid.I'll be exclusively fishing canals for the perch.My question is do i need a flurocarbon leader or can i rig a snap swivel straight to the braid.Has anyone any experience of trying both methods and has one outfished the other.Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jim from Cork

That's a debate that can go on and on!

I'm a sea angler, I do a lot of soft lure and jig fishing. I always rig up using a short leader or tippet to my lure. It never goes through the eyes so . I will usually tie a lure clip or sometimes I tie direct to the lure. On a "bad knot day" I have tied direct to the braid and not experienced any fall off in catches. A buddy uses no leader more often than not and has decent catches.

I would note that toothless fish are not an issue... Bass for example have no teeth. I would imagine perch are the same being from the same genus? Pollock on the other hand will rasp away at the braid with their little teeth so a leader is important.
    Now the other question - Flouro or mono. I have used mono with no discernible drop in catch. I still us flouro though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

That's a debate that can go on and on!

I'm a sea angler, I do a lot of soft lure and jig fishing. I always rig up using a short leader or tippet to my lure. It never goes through the eyes so . I will usually tie a lure clip or sometimes I tie direct to the lure. On a "bad knot day" I have tied direct to the braid and not experienced any fall off in catches. A buddy uses no leader more often than not and has decent catches.

I would note that toothless fish are not an issue... Bass for example have no teeth. I would imagine perch are the same being from the same genus? Pollock on the other hand will rasp away at the braid with their little teeth so a leader is important.
    Now the other question - Flouro or mono. I have used mono with no discernible drop in catch. I still us flouro though!!

Thanks for the detailed reply.Yes perch have no teeth in their mouth,i would think they have some throat teeth.As I'll be using small 1.2"-2.5" lures i hope to avoid pike and thus not use a trace.I was thinking as predators take lures that are orange,pink or multi coloured would a yellow braid really put them off that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭fiacha

On pike free waters I use a fluro leader for my perch setup. I feel it makes a difference in clear water.
    It also saves on braid as you are not cutting bits of it off whenever you re-tie the snap.

I catch plenty of jacks on the canal using light jigs / dropset etc, so I always use a light trace. The Cahira Nitinol wire is available in 6 and 12lb which are perfect for the canals. I've only been using it for a couple of months, but it has been great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

fiacha wrote: »
    On pike free waters I use a fluro leader for my perch setup. I feel it makes a difference in clear water.
    It also saves on braid as you are not cutting bits of it off whenever you re-tie the snap.

I catch plenty of jacks on the canal using light jigs / dropset etc, so I always use a light trace. The Cahira Nitinol wire is available in 6 and 12lb which are perfect for the canals. I've only been using it for a couple of months, but it has been great so far.

I used to lure fish for pike probably 20 years ago(god i feel old saying that) and i remember the traces being as stiff as a stick.Good to know its gone a bit more supple.Also ive had some brilliant early morning-late evening bream,roach and tench fishing on the canals this summer so maybe they're bouncing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I do a good bit of jigging for perch , I always use a small wire trace, you can buy them in Southside for 3 quid for 2 of them. It think the brand is called Behr. They're a really fine trace 10 lb breaking strain and about 25 cms long . I've never had a problem not catching perch with them. You I catch more with flouro , yes probably but there's plenty of jacks around and they bite through flouro easily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dub guy

I do a good bit of jigging for perch , I always use a small wire trace, you can buy them in Southside for 3 quid for 2 of them. It think the brand is called Behr. They're a really fine trace 10 lb breaking strain and about 25 cms long . I've never had a problem not catching perch with them. You I catch more with flouro , yes probably but there's plenty of jacks around and they bite through flouro easily
    What type of lures do you think work best for perch I might try and get out over the winter and do a bit.

Advertisement