Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach fishing weater

Options
  • 29-09-2019 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello what sort of weather conditions are best for sea fishing and what sort of conditions should I avoid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Dub guy wrote: »
    Hello what sort of weather conditions are best for sea fishing and what sort of conditions should I avoid

I always preferred 2 hours before and after high tide, especially if it coincided with dusk. Never caught much fish in the rain!!! Too much wind is too uncomfortable and makes fishing difficult. Supposed to catch bass in wild choppy water close to the shore, but personally I never did.

Eph.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dub guy

Thanks for the reply.i was fishing in Wexford on Saturday evening I got nothing it was wondering did the poor weather have a big impact on it.i was using crab ,squid and rag

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Different beaches fish better or worse in good/bad conditions.
    I don't fish much anymore but on the beaches I used to frequent, I'd have known where to go to maximize my chances depending on conditions.
    Conditions could be perfect for certain beaches and species and you could still blank tho.

If your unsure of an area, fish 2 rods, if you only have 1 then alternate every second cast.
    No need for massive hooks, especially in Wexford over winter. Size 1 (or 1/0 hooks max) with a bit of crab, 2 hook flapper and cast it about 35-50yards. Next cast try smaller hooks, size 4 or 6 and cast it very close. Maybe 10/20 yards.
    You'd be surprised what's about very close to the shore, especially after dark.
    I've had a bass to just over 8lbs on a size 4 hook and a ray to over 11lbs on a size 2, both from less than 30yards.
    Black lug wraps tipped with tiny bits of mack or squid will catch plenty over winter, you could come off some Wexford beaches with over 40 fish some nights, the only problem is that most will be whiting under 15cms.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Dub guy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.i was fishing in Wexford on Saturday evening I got nothing it was wondering did the poor weather have a big impact on it.i was using crab ,squid and rag

Darkness nearly always better if bait fishing from the beach. Failing that cloudcover helps. For smoothound I think calmer conditions are generally preferred but for bass and flatfish a bit of surf helps but not so much that there's loads of weed. If you can catch it when there a surf after settled conditions you wiĺ generally avoid the worst of the weed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Different beaches fish different ways - if you were in wexford - Kilgorman, Courtown fish well on the rise and oulart and bawn on the fall.

Follow TADA

Three days without rain (ha!)
    After a storm not before
    Dawn or dusk
    A three foot swell

Download fishing and hunting times app.

New moon or full moon and 2 days either side.

Northerly winds bad
    Southerly winds generally good
    South westerly - weed!

Bass love a bit of surf - a calm sea is pretty useless, too wild isnt good either.

A fast falling barometer is good, fish feeding up before a storm (going against tada rule 2)

And here is the best article on the planet on how to pick your fishing spots while on a beach. It will make the world of difference to you. The sea can be read as easily as a river, you just have to know how.

Great site!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Dub guy

Brilliant information thanks.im not after anything in particular even a few dog fish would make my day

Advertisement