Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No packaging - return/refund still possible??

Options
  • 23-05-2020 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Morning all, looking to return a €300+ coffee pod machine that was gifted to me 3 months ago. I have the receipt, instruction manuals etc and an email that I sent to the shops customer service that pretty much went unanswered apart from a generic automated response.

What I don't have is any of the machines packaging? Coffee machine was a gift and it was unpacked for me upon reciept.

Functionality wise it is pretty much leaking continuously, every morning I am greeted by a pool of water surrounding it.

Just wondering before I venture in later today to the store, is me not having any of the packaging grounds for them not to repair, replace or reimburse??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Packaging is not required for faulty kit. It's nearly always required for change of mind but that doesn't apply here.

Has it been leaking since the start? It may just need descaling if it came on recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,103 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Have you any proof of purchase?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dav010 wrote: »
    Have you any proof of purchase?

OP mentions they have the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If it's faulty you don't need a box. It's good that you have receipt but I wouldn't mention is was a gift as technically the contract of sale isn't with you then, it's the purchaser - I doubt it would be an issue but I'd still not mention it. They may not replace there and then, they do have the right to test and make sure it's not actually damaged so don't be offended if you leave the shop empty handed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

theteal wrote: »
    but I wouldn't mention is was a gift as technically the contract of sale isn't with you then, it's the purchaser.

This might prove an issue if the store choses the refund option and the item was paid by a debit/credit card. They can insist of the refund going back to the origional card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it's faulty you don't need a box. It's good that you have receipt but I wouldn't mention is was a gift as technically the contract of sale isn't with you then, it's the purchaser - I doubt it would be an issue but I'd still not mention it. They may not replace there and then, they do have the right to test and make sure it's not actually damaged so don't be offended if you leave the shop empty handed today.

If an item fails within 6 months of purchase it's assumed to be a manufacturing defect and has to be dealt with as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Del2005 wrote: »
    If an item fails within 6 months of purchase it's assumed to be a manufacturing defect and has to be dealt with as such.

If the item is faulty, yes. If the item has been misused, it's not getting swapped. It needs to be checked to determine the cause of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Del2005 wrote: »

So a store has to take a customer's word that it is faulty?

You'd be very very surprised at what "customers" say and what the reality is, especially around electronic goods.

In a previous job I've even seen people claim fault when they haven't taken some shipping protection tape off even though it was the first thing mentioned in the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the item is faulty, yes. If the item has been misused, it's not getting swapped. It needs to be checked to determine the cause of the issue.

Just on this, a lot of retailers do not allow staff to verify faulty electrical goods in store.

Obv in this case it isn’t an electrical fault.

Advertisement