Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop purchase from Harvey Norman on flexi payment

Options
  • 22-05-2020 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey all
    I bought a laptop from Harvey Norman on hire purchase flexi payment 4 weeks ago, I have now lost my job and will be on a payment of the doctor (disibily allowance $203 per week) at the moment I will not be able to afford the repayments of 90 euro a week, is there a way of paying this something like 20 euro a week with Harvey Norman?
    Any advise greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

€90 a week????? How long will you be paying it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Marcinp

€90 a week????? How long will you be paying it back?
    It's a 2900 apple MacBook pro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Marcinp wrote: »
    It's a 2900 apple MacBook pro

That wasn't smart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

It's unlikely FlexiFi (who are the financial services provider for Harvey Norman) will change payments terms and if they do it will be very expensive. If you miss payments they will pursue and it will affect your credit score. https://www.flexifi.com/files/RIPA-€200-€75000-RIPA-FINAL-28-August-2018-TCs.pdf

Read your contract.

You are past the 14 day "cool off" period.

Your best choices are:
    1. Sell if you can and hope you recover enough to cover the capital. Difficult at the moment but cleanest option.

2. If you are a member of a credit union or bank it may be better to borrow over a longer period (3 years say) and payoff Flexifi while having a payment plan you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ice.cube

Marcinp wrote: »
    Hey all
    I bought a laptop from Harvey Norman on hire purchase flexi payment 4 weeks ago, I have now lost my job and will be on a payment of the doctor (disibily allowance $203 per week) at the moment I will not be able to afford the repayments of 90 euro a week, is there a way of paying this something like 20 euro a week with Harvey Norman?
    Any advise greatly appreciated

The finance is not provided by Harvey Norman but through Flexi Fi. I haven't any experience in dealing with them myself but I can't see them being too helpful.

That is some lump of a laptop you bought. If you are in this bad of a situation I would try and cut my losses and sell it to pay off the finance.

Unless you want to give the two fingers to the finance company of course!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

Not helpful but 2900 for a laptop and you paid hire purchase. My God. Anyone who needs HP to fund a laptop purchase shouldn't be spending 2900 on 1 in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They say for things over €1k, they do 24-60 month payment.

https://www.flexifi.com/how-it-works

Even at 12 months, your monthly should be €250, you’re talking the equivalent of €390

A lot not adding up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi op

some suggested courses of action.

1. call finance company and see what they can do for you. explain you lost your job, and see what they can do.
    2. sell laptop and pay down the loan
    3. get loan from family/friends/Credit Union to refinance this loan and get one with repayment you can live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

2900 for a laptop!!!??? Holy ****. You could buy a car for that! It was going to take you over 2 years to pay for it!

Wesser wrote: »
    2900 for a laptop!!!??? Holy ****. You could buy a car for that! It was going to take you over 2 years to pay for it!

2 years at €90 a week would pay for it 3 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m going to assume you work as a graphic designer or something. Cause no one in their right mind should pay that much for a laptop for personal use especially on credit.

Anyway various councils have grants available to get people back working , maybe talk to them about getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Sell the laptop op
    if you can, its going to be very difficult to sell it as the market for that type of laptop is so small here you will have to take a significant hit on it when selling just to find a buyer.

Next time OP go custom made and buy it from the likes of a uk website and save up for it, you will get a laptop thats better or equal to it for half the price.

If it’s actually hire purchase then it isn’t the OPs to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Best bet is try your credit union but I doubt they would give out a €3000 loan to a person not working. They have gone strict enough needing pay slips and bank statements.
    As it’s a HP item I doubt you could even sell it.
    All you can OP is contact the finance company to see if they can restructure the loan but I wouldn’t hold my breath. If they do lower the payments you will probably end up paying a fortune in interest over a longer term loan .
    Costly mistake for a nice shiny bit of tech ..

Advertisement