Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling mobile phone direct debit

Options
  • 22-05-2020 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any experience of this? I want to cancel my mobile phone account and have been trying unsuccessfully to contact them for the past few weeks. It's Eir mobile.

At this stage I am just fed up and want to cancel the direct debit so I can move to a new provider.

Anyone done this or any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

eviltwin wrote: »
    Anyone any experience of this? I want to cancel my mobile phone account and have been trying unsuccessfully to contact them for the past few weeks. It's Eir mobile.

At this stage I am just fed up and want to cancel the direct debit so I can move to a new provider.

If you're within contract you'll obviously incur fees.

If out of contract you'll be fine

Call 1901

Once you have them under notice, contact the bank and cancel the direct debit... just in case.

If you really give up trying to do it the 'right way' then just cancel the direct debit and let them chase you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Would not recomend doing this, exhause all channels and if still unsuccessful contact the regulator. Keep records if your effords. They will still keep calling fot DD if not cancelled correctly. Its a pain but keep at it, not with eir myself but reading reviews i dont think i ever will. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Would not recomend doing this, exhause all channels and if still unsuccessful contact the regulator. Keep records if your effords. They will still keep calling fot DD if not cancelled correctly. Its a pain but keep at it, not with eir myself but reading reviews i dont think i ever will. Best of luck.

Why call the regulator? If they're still in contract they're still in contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

If out of contract, you can port to another provider, the account will close and a final bill will be sent. That's how it should work in theory but with Eir, anything can and will happen.

Cancelling a direct debit without any other action will just activate their arrears process which, bizarrely, probably works perfectly.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify my comment...

"...If you really give up trying to do it the 'right way'..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

@callaway92 not sure about eir but most other providers require 30days notice even if out of contract. Going by the number of complaints on here regarding how difficult it is to contact eir maybe the regulator might be able to do something about this. Maybe need to read the contract if it states 30days is required to cancel then just ignorinv this is not a good idea. If you dont need 30days notice then yes you can just change provider and walk away. Again not an eir customer so dont know what there contract says

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Assuming you are out of contract by far the easiest way to cancel is to port your number to another operator.

If you want to keep your number you need to do this anyway, if you don't want to keep it just port to a PAYG provider and let the number expire after X months of inactivity/not topping-up.

Porting triggers the account in the old network to be terminated although, especially with eir, keeping an eye on your bank account for a while in case they "forget" to stop the DDs is advisable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

They never stop disappointing their customers,,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

I remember when I went to cancel my contract, they gave me a huge speil as to why I shouldn't. I explained my reasons, paycut etc and still wouldn't budge. I rang my bank cancelled the direct debit. I got a few emails stating I owed X amount then it doubled and they rang me saying I owed them. I had proof that I rang a few times to cancel along with my reasoning and each time I was given different reasons to why I couldn't cancel and that I would owe X more if I wanted too cancel which is usually the policy for cancelling any contact with any company. I just told them that I wasn't paying and to cancel. I kept getting calls and eventually they gave up.

In saying that, I wouldn't recommend this though. Honestly I don't know how it didn't back fire on me but I changed to pay as you go. Best thing I even did.

One of my friends just stopped paying her phone bill altogether. When her contact was officially up she switched to pay as you go. Again, would constantly get phone calls. She actually got a letter saying she owed X amount and would need to pay up or action would be taken. She ignored that.

But seriously, don't ignore or not pay or cancel direct Debits. Half the time is not even worth the hassel.

But if you desperately want too, then switch providers if you're not too pushed on keeping the same number, I don't know if it still works with the same number and just ignore your other contract if the amount doesn't suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

You can move your number to any network at any time regardless of the contract.

If you’re still in contract or have outstanding bills, you’ll likely be put on a blacklist for other networks though. This won’t be a problem for prepay obviously.

noa2020 wrote: »
    You can move your number to any network at any time regardless of the contract.

If you’re still in contract or have outstanding bills, you’ll likely be put on a blacklist for other networks though. This won’t be a problem for prepay obviously.

Yes but for future loans etc it'll likely mess your chances

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes but for future loans etc it'll likely mess your chances

Utility providers do not submit to the Central Credit Register.

They may submit to the private credit reference firms but these are dying off as the CCR has basically replaced them. They were never used by banks for loans, but were for things like direct debit agreements for insurance, hire purchase electronics etc.

The old ICB still exists but no utility providers ever submitted to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

eviltwin wrote: »

If you are cancelling the direct debit, make sure to also blacklist them from setting up any future direct debits (it's just another form you have to fill in).

I had a billing issue with Meteor (owned by Eir) that dragged on for months and the kept overcharging me. Gave them plenty of notice I was going to cancel the DD, issue persisted so I cancelled it and again gave them clear notice that I had cancelled.

Kept paying them the correct amount every month by bank transfer while trying to get the billing resolved. Three months later, noticed a DD gone out of my account. Bank manager confirmed they had submitted a new DD mandate despite having no authorisation for it. Reversed the DD, blacklisted them and ported out.

Moral of the story: always blacklist the company if cancelling a DD. Especially if it's in any way connected to Eir.

L1011 wrote: »
    Utility providers do not submit to the Central Credit Register.

They may submit to the private credit reference firms but these are dying off as the CCR has basically replaced them. They were never used by banks for loans, but were for things like direct debit agreements for insurance, hire purchase electronics etc.

The old ICB still exists but no utility providers ever submitted to them.

Reckon they do ,15 yrs or so ago eir blocked me from signing a contract ( new phone etc) last provider 4 yrs earlier missed my last bill etc, back to VF queried same , yep owed them 18 punts or so,( had moved address and didn't receive any bill etc, forgot completely-
    Paid and within a week problem gone away

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Reckon they do ,15 yrs or so ago eir blocked me from signing a contract ( new phone etc) last provider 4 yrs earlier missed my last bill etc, back to VF queried same , yep owed them 18 punts or so,( had moved address and didn't receive any bill etc, forgot completely-
    Paid and within a week problem gone away

Mobile providers have a seperate black marking system.

They do not, cannot report to the CCR.

Advertisement