Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to Buy Cloths but Not in Dunnes/Tesco/Aldi/M&S

Options
  • 21-05-2020 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Hi I havent bought any New clothes in well over a year & I don't want to buy them Online I prefer to go to a store and physically browse check the material try on etc. I know Dunnes & Tesco are providing that Service & they have the Monopoly at the moment,
    I'm just starting to find it really strange that all the other Clothing retailers haven't started rebelling against the government Phased Roadmap for Covid-19 reopenings.

Didn't realise their was a Covid-19 Topic If a mod can move thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Excellent point. Even more frustrating is Dunnes putting sale clothes into groceries. Or that annoying Brendan Courtney announcement treating us like fools.
    Or no homeware shops but homestore and more is open
    Or Smyth's Toys open.

There's been a lot of vagueness from retailers since the start. I too am surprised there's been no rebellion. At least Keeling's were honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

All online retailers are bound by the 14 day returns laws in the EU. Personally in this environment we were thrown into I would rather buy online and then return items if need be. A lot safer than going into retail outlets.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,039 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Even after clothes shops open, trying stuff on may not be an option.

Loads of clothes shops are open online, not just the big ones, I've bought fab stuff from local and not so local boutiques in recent weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I prefer to go to a store and physically browse check the material try on etc

Well non essential stores are still closed- ish. So that doesn't really suit you.

you have 3 options,

1. go to the stores that are open.
    2 shop online - eg levi 501s bought online are still the same product.
    3. Wait for your favorite shops to reopen.

PS non essential shops were closed for good reason. Rebelling against common sense and the common good may play well with certain sectors, but i really believe that the Irish public would punish a retailer that was seen to risk public health and their staff for a quick buck - in the way some places have in the states.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

TheDriver wrote: »
    Excellent point. Even more frustrating is Dunnes putting sale clothes into groceries. Or that annoying Brendan Courtney announcement treating us like fools.
    Or no homeware shops but homestore and more is open
    Or Smyth's Toys open.

There's been a lot of vagueness from retailers since the start. I too am surprised there's been no rebellion. At least Keeling's were honest.

There was no vagueness by retailers - the State vagueness in the rules re: "mixed retail" was deliberate to stop legal actions

Homestore&more sell cleaning products, pet care (allowed all the time) and some furniture/gardenware (allowed since Monday). They claim not to be selling homewares currently. That's mixed retail, so they could probably have stayed open the entire time if they wanted. They did sell everything else but were requiring you to buy something from the essentials list so there was probably a lot of cheap j-cloths bought unnecessarily...

The Range get a lot of ire on my local Facebook groups for having stayed open but they sell food, cleaning products and pet care covering a fairly substantial % of the floor area so definitely met the definition of mixed retail.

That's also why Dunnes/Tesco are able to sell clothes still - the shops are mixed retail. The Dunnes non-food stores are closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

TheDriver wrote: »
    Even more frustrating is Dunnes putting sale clothes into groceries.

but they have always done this.

but they have always done this.

Ah in fairness they always have an aisle of essentials but in my local, they've wheeled a serious amount of rails of sale clothes into the groceries. In the current environment, it's frustrating being told not to spend long in store but on other hand being made to due to clothes. Money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

"being made to" :pac:

JohnC. wrote: »
    "being made to" :pac:

Yes, being made to stay longer as I have a basket of shopping but can't check out because of someone buying lots of clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Thought this day would never come June 8th Phase 2

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Except most clothes shops (in large towns/cities at least) are in shopping centres and it'll be next week :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

L1011 wrote: »
    That's also why Dunnes/Tesco are able to sell clothes still - the shops are mixed retail. The Dunnes non-food stores are closed.

Dunnes in Rathmines have two stores, a food/clothes one and a physically separate homeware one, which sells nothing but homeware. The kept the homeware one open throughout the lockdown. No idea how they got away with that.

Advertisement