Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir: €100 fine for "Excess Broadband Usage"

Options
  • 21-05-2020 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

I have to say I thought it was some kind of print error when I saw it added on to my bill. Not a very nice way of treating a customer of the last 25 years. Quite the scumbag move even for their pathetic standards.

I did make some large file transfers to and from the server for work but the total usage for the whole month did not exceed 150Gb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you know what the limit on the plan you have is?

Is this mobile broadband?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

150gb doesn't seem very high for a month's use? Unless your usage is capped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Do you know what the limit on the plan you have is?

Is this mobile broadband?
    LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    150gb doesn't seem very high for a month's use? Unless your usage is capped?

Not mobile broadband and it's an "unlimited" package:

Eir Complete Broadband & Phone €57.98p/m
    includes: Eir Fibre Extreme 300Mb + Eir Talk Mobile World

Total bill for the month of May: €158.89

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Must be a mistake, have you contacted Eir? What have they said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Conte..

davo2001 wrote: »
    have you contacted Eir? What have they said?

that's his biggest problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Yes that's the right call. If there's some sort of sneaky term in their T&Cs that you were unaware of, you're protected under EU Regulations.

I'll contact them tomorrow and see what they have to say for themselves. Has there been any improvement to their customer service lately? Last time I had to sort out an issue it took the guts of 3 hours of the day...

That’s a 2016 product as far as I know and has a fair usage of 1TB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

bfa1509 wrote: »

I would make one call, give them 21 days to resolve it and then straight to Comreg by lodging an official complaint via email to ccm@eir.ie.

Alternatively you can spend the next six months on the phone , getting promises that will not be kept.

This goes back to 2018..

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057915421

I was delusional, I thought I could get Eir to do the right thing if I was persistent enough.

Big mistake!

paddy19 wrote: »
    I would make one call, give them 21 days to resolve it and then straight to Comreg by lodging an official complaint via email to ccm@eir.ie.

Alternatively you can spend the next six months on the phone , getting promises that will not be kept.

This goes back to 2018..

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057915421

I was delusional, I thought I could get Eir to do the right thing if I was persistent enough.

Big mistake!
    Thanks for saving me the time and pointless effort. Worthless company of scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

Gangsters again,go to VF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Gangsters again,go to VF

Who also have a FUP and who also charge for excess usage?

The newer eir packages don’t have a FUP. Virgin Media got rid of its FUP 5 or 6 years ago (for packages introduced after that time). Sky never had a FUP as far as I know.

KildareP wrote: »
    Who also have a FUP and who also charge for excess usage?

They have a scatter of legacy computer sytems that are totally inflexible and not compatible with each other.

The assorted past "investors" who milked the company for every euro they could extract had no interest in spending any money in updating the systems.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The newer eir packages don’t have a FUP. Virgin Media got rid of its FUP 5 or 6 years ago (for packages introduced after that time). Sky never had a FUP as far as I know.

Eir had no FUP policy for my last package and still ended up charging me for 10 months out of 12. Only now getting credits, 6 months after leaving. Truly shocking way to run a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

I have to say I thought it was some kind of print error when I saw it added on to my bill. Not a very nice way of treating a customer of the last 25 years. Quite the scumbag move even for their pathetic standards.

I did make some large file transfers to and from the server for work but the total usage for the whole month did not exceed 150Gb.

It is always a good idea to put the shoe on the other foot first.
    Contact your bank and ask for the SEPA DD to be returned. Rules of SEPA DD says you are entitled to it back NO QUESTIONS ASKED within the first 8 weeks.
    Once you have the funds back Eir will expedite contact with you...

This only speeds up your contact with Eir it does not change your contract obligations.

HTH
    (https://www.bpfi.ie/customer-assist/personal-customers/directdebit/)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Damien360

Eir signed up to the below fair usage policy and not automatically charging as of April this year. My father in law has also got a €20 extra charge and eir are impossible to contact regarding this

Read below as it will be relevant to OP

[Url] https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/fe886f-increased-supports-from-telecoms-providers-during-covid-19/[/url][url][/url]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Email ccm@eir.ie. Only way I could get the problem resolved.

*******UPDATE*********

Eir must have injected major capital into their customer care services since last time I had issues with them. Instead of the 3hrs per call it used to take, they have now cut it down to 2hrs 30mins. Dont even bother calling after 4pm.

I have been assured that the €100 fine has now been removed.

They have a scatter of legacy computer sytems that are totally inflexible and not compatible with each other.

The assorted past "investors" who milked the company for every euro they could extract had no interest in spending any money in updating the systems.

You were spot on Paddy. As I've been renewing my contract for years he said that there was an old fair usage policy that was never removed from the system. I must have triggered it with the large file transfers. He said they don't have a usage cap anymore.

Like the link in your earlier post above he had to switch me onto another plan with a different speed and then change it back just to remove the FUP and the charge from the bill. The change will take a few hours but thankfully there will be no drop in service.

Can't see why they can't just set the over FUP fee to €0.00.
    or change the the limit to 100TB.

This would be much better than fixing each issue as random customers go over the limit and complain.

One could have that sneaky feeling than some customers just pay up and keep their usage under 1 TB.

Although you would think that over 1 TB users would not tend to let a €100 go that easily :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is that in writing?
    Hopefully for you it's all resolved but eir are good at giving assurances and then failing to live up to them - it's part of their long-standing policy about not giving a crap about their customers.

Is that in writing?
    Hopefully for you it's all resolved but eir are good at giving assurances and then failing to live up to them - it's part of their long-standing policy about not giving a crap about their customers.

It is not in writing but I did record the call for "Quality and Training purposes"...

It's a long standing policy of not giving a crap that I've had the pleasure of putting up with for years. At least a few years back they had the boards forum with the notorious "We have sent you a PM". At least then the issue would be resolved most of the time. Now it's absolute hell. Everyday I wince at the sight of my fibre line outside. Leave it to Eir to have your career depending on a 50 micron spool of glass flapping around in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

*******UPDATE*********

Eir must have injected major capital into their customer care services since last time I had issues with them. Instead of the 3hrs per call it used to take, they have now cut it down to 2hrs 30mins. Dont even bother calling after 4pm.

You were spot on Paddy. As I've been renewing my contract for years he said that there was an old fair usage policy that was never removed from the system. I must have triggered it with the large file transfers. He said they don't have a usage cap anymore.

Like the link in your earlier post above he had to switch me onto another plan with a different speed and then change it back just to remove the FUP and the charge from the bill. The change will take a few hours but thankfully there will be no drop in service.

Make sure you haven't been roped into a new 12/24 month contract with this.

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    It is always a good idea to put the shoe on the other foot first.
    Contact your bank and ask for the SEPA DD to be returned. Rules of SEPA DD says you are entitled to it back NO QUESTIONS ASKED within the first 8 weeks.
    Once you have the funds back Eir will expedite contact with you...

I get a paper bill and pay by bank transfer in my own time. They made me setup a direct debit a few years back when I was starting a new contract but I insisted on getting a paper bill before I signed up. I put a block on the DD mandate after the contract was put in place. They continued sending the paper bills and never questioned it!

It was especially for some dodgy occasion like this that I didn't let them have their slippery fingers on my bank account.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Make sure you haven't been roped into a new 12/24 month contract with this.

I got an email to say the contract will expire in December as normal so hopefully not. My speed hasn't gone back up to 300Mb yet though...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Put it in to work as an expense. You have a residents contract but using it as a business account. If it’s for work , let them pay

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thecutter

I signed up to the ‘totally unlimited’ package that Eir are advertising for €29.99 about 2 months ago
    I have just noticed a broadband usage excess charge of €32.50 plus the €29.99 - first time I’ve ever been charged an access by any company
    Yes, we have watched more Netflix / Disney + this month along with working from home - but these charges are ridiculous.
    Il be onto them in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

EIR are a mystery, no one else could be so poor at absolutely everything , Cant understand how Comreg just don't pull their licence

EIR are a mystery, no one else could be so poor at absolutely everything , Cant understand how Comreg just don't pull their licence

IMHO EIR are fine except when something goes wrong, especially with billing.

For most customers, the product works fine, the problems are normally at the start or exit.I

IMHO EIR are fine except when something goes wrong, especially with billing.

For most customers, the product works fine, the problems are normally at the start or exit.I

Always but always at exit

• Advertisement

Eir equals pain

Advertisement