Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sold my first item on ebay - anything to be cautious about?

• 18-05-2020 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

I've just sold my first item on ebay, an expensive, heavy book. Is there anything I need to be careful about, either before shipping or in terms of the shipping?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Good luck with the sticker shock when you see APs prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

You haven't seen what I quoted for the postage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

homer911 wrote: »
    I've just sold my first item on ebay, an expensive, heavy book. Is there anything I need to be careful about, either before shipping or in terms of the shipping?

Send it registered mail to the address PayPal is telling. Under no circumstances don't send it to anywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Make sure you receive the money into your account and you have access to it BEFORE posting it.

Send with tracked postage which requires a signature to accept, so you have proof it arrives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭geotrig

Make sure you receive the money into your account and you have access to it BEFORE posting it.

Send with tracked postage which requires a signature to accept, so you have proof it arrives.
    If its their first sale the funds will probably be held by paypal untill the item is delivered

• Advertisement

You haven't seen what I quoted for the postage :)

Good for you ! I remember selling a lot on eBay but the p&p was a huge deterrent especially in Ireland as were Ebay and PayPal charges.
    But it’s fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭VG31

Good for you ! I remember selling a lot on eBay but the p&p was a huge deterrent especially in Ireland as were Ebay and PayPal charges.
    But it’s fun :)

I sell things on eBay occasionally. It's hard to compete sometimes with UK sellers with the very high postage costs here. An Post charges €15 for a parcel that would cost UK sellers £3 with Hermes. Royal Mail is significantly cheaper than An Post as well.

I've started using UPS for anything bigger than books/DVDs. They're often cheaper than An Post and they're much faster and it's insured. I used to use Parcel Motel/Nightline for bigger items but I find UPS cheaper (mostly) and faster. They also collect from your house for free which is very handy.

In terms of advise for the OP, send it by a tracked delivery method since it's expensive. I usually take the risk with standard post on items below €20/€30 as it's not economical to sell them otherwise. Don't limit yourself to An Post for large/expensive items. Try couriers like UPS, DHL, GLS, Nightline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Parceldirect.ie is also good to get quotes for postage to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭homer911

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement