Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordered from amazon.co.uk lately?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Certainly keeps the rural postman busy.

Although I'd be happier if they stopped supporting Fastway.

In fairness to Fastway, we all love a game of hide and seek with our packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Remember the days ordering something on a monday and it arrived on wed

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Ordered books from amazon.co.uk around two weeks ago. Delivery scheduled for early June.

You should have ordered through an Irish bookshop. Do Amazon really need $10,000 every second of the day? Amazon is run by the worlds richest man. Amazon to report first-quarter revenues of $73bn (£58bn). That would be up nearly 22% on the same quarter last year, and works out as sales of $10,000 every second, day and night. Staff turnover is huge, and they are poorly paid.

Independent bookshops all over the world offer informed service to their customers and give back to their communities. Many however are being put out of business.

Next time you see empty shops in your local town or city think of the worlds richest man, and you making him richer.

Dempsey wrote: »
    12m doesnt seem like much at all

Close to 1.5 hours of covid19 payments !!!
    800,000*350/40

Yeah not much at all

addaword wrote: »
    Next time you see empty shops in your local town or city think of the worlds richest man, and you making him richer.

I think I just saved 8 euro on a book that made me richer.
    How much profit does a book shop make on a book ?
    You could probably buy a book on Amazon , hand the local shop their profit and still save 5 euro

• Advertisement

Last time I looked at a book it was the same price in an Irish bookshop as on Amazon, and I had it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Last time I looked at a book it was the same price in an Irish bookshop as on Amazon, and I had it immediately.

The last few times I've tried to order books from Irish online bookshops they weren't available from any of them. The rare time they do have it it's usually 1.5x - 2x the price. Kennys is the only decent online Irish bookshop but even they never have what I'm looking for recently. I refuse to buy from Easons, they're very overpriced and I've had too many bad experiences with them.

Chapters however is a fantastic bookshop with reasonable prices. I once bought a book there for €10 which was €40 in Easons and £30 online. It's a shame they don't have an online shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Its 12m more than 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You should buy in Ireland.

You give me details of a supplier here who has the items I want at even a reasonable price and I'll use them. Believe me I have tried to use Irish suppliers for many things and failed miserable on availability, quality and price.
    It's all very laudable to say buy in Ireland but it's not always possible or practicable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ok @addaword, I think we all get it. You want us to buy everything in Ireland. Funny thing is, just because you buy in Ireland, doesn't mean it's actually Irish.

I assume, if you are a coffee/tea drinker, you go to Bewleys Grafton Street to buy your tea/coffee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    You give me details of a supplier here who has the items I want at even a reasonable price and I'll use them. Believe me I have tried to use Irish suppliers for many things and failed miserable on availability, quality and price.
    It's all very laudable to say buy in Ireland but it's not always possible or practicable.

It's not even that, they often have longer delivery times and poorer customer services.

Amazon's customer service is absolutely top notch. They sent me the wrong item, I queries it and they told me to keep it and sent the correct one out to me 2 days later.

Near all Irish companies charge for delivery. My Amazon Prime is free delivery, no matter if it's a radiator or matress.
    I have Prime Student through work, so I pay 3 euro a month or something.

I so something have a pang of guilt giving money to the behemoth, but my goal is to get what I want as fast and cheap as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

sugarman wrote: »
    They charge Irish VAT / Tax rates as per EU law on all Irish orders placed on Amazon.co.uk.

They employ over 3.5k Irish workers within Ireland in their Irish operations. They would all be paying their income taxes here.

They paid almost €12m in Cooperation Tax in Ireland last year.

Why the hell would they donate prizes for raffles?!?!

It's a lot of money to pay for co-operating.
    I never even knew they taxed that, seems harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Remember the days ordering something on a monday and it arrived on wed

I ordered from Tower Records last week and it arrived the next day!

Well that's the exception rather than the rule and you wouldn't be able to go out today and do that.

People often criticize the likes of Google, Apple and Amazon about corporation tax but completely ignore how many people they employ here, employer's PRSI they pay, buildings they buy and rent, suppliers they use and anciillary businesses they generate.
    For example ask DPD or An Post to manage without Amazon deliveries

Our economy would be in big trouble if they were not here, especially at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Your wallet will get abused less if you support the Irish economy. Amazon uk do not pay income tax, corporation tax or rates in Ireland and do not donate raffle prizes to your club or fundraiser.
    1. VAT goes to Irish state.
    2. ~3,500 extremely high-payed employees in Ireland, paying ridiculous amounts of Income tax here.
    3. Corporate Tax gets paid here.
    4. Regularly involved in local charities.

You should have ordered through an Irish bookshop. Do Amazon really need $10,000 every second of the day? Amazon is run by the worlds richest man. Amazon to report first-quarter revenues of $73bn (£58bn). That would be up nearly 22% on the same quarter last year, and works out as sales of $10,000 every second, day and night. Staff turnover is huge, and they are poorly paid.

Independent bookshops all over the world offer informed service to their customers and give back to their communities. Many however are being put out of business.

So, now that you were proven to be spouting absolute BS, you have completely switched the argument? Now, we are not to use them because they are successful? Do you ever wonder why they are so successful? How they grew from being a tiny bookstore to the global giant they are today?

I'll give you a clue. It's the exact same reason why most people buy from them on a regular basis:
    You are far, far, far more likely to find what you are looking for, get very well informed information on the product, get it cheaper than elsewhere and receive far superior customer service than anywhere else.

The empty shops in towns has so little to do with Amazon, it is not worth discussing with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Huge delays, much worse than any other site I've been ordering from. And at least one item has been lost in the post ... they said about 2 weeks ago they sent a replacement, but I haven't received that yet either.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    we’ve had two parcels go awol recently. One was ordered on the 12th April dispatched on the 22nd from Liverpool and has yet to show up on the An Post tracker.

That's amazon

Ordered books from amazon.co.uk around two weeks ago. Delivery scheduled for early June.

See the programme on bbc last year about how Amazon exploits its workers?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

I do like they way there is a link to Amazon in the thread title though. Very nifty

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Quite the opposite for me. I've ordered a number of items and they've all came within 3-4 working days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ordered some bluetooth speakers a couple of weeks back, was about a week in the item being shipped but in fairness, it turned up a day ahead of the estimated delivery time. No complaints here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

free shipping on amazon with prime ( yes , technically not free as its subscription) or 20 quid shipping for a 6 quid purchase on irish sites...just.. no.

free shipping on amazon with prime ( yes , technically not free as its subscription) or 20 quid shipping for a 6 quid purchase on irish sites...just.. no.

All you are doing by shopping on foreign owned businesses such as amazon is making the richest man in the world even richer. He does not pay rates in your local town or sponsor the local team or give a saturday job to your kid or recirculate the money locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

All you are doing by shopping on foreign owned businesses such as amazon is making the richest man in the world even richer. He does not pay rates in your local town or sponsor the local team or give a saturday job to your kid or recirculate the money locally.

In fairness, ~90% of the items I purchase from Amazon can't be found in my locality. And now with the restrictions, that percentage is even higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

you know what, I'm ok with that. He created a fantastic service that allows me to buy things easily for far cheaper than i can get here ( or, more often than not, cant get here). He saw how the market was evolving and filled that requirement. Hats off and kudos to him.

Amazon is modern shopping personified. Other businesses need to step up or GTFO.

Yes but VAT for the purchase goes to the Irish Government.

An Irish delivery service gets paid to deliver the product and they employ staff in Ireland to deliver to you.

They also employ staff in Ireland to run support services in Ireland that needs over 2500 people and growing which has huge ancilliary business around it.

Much more than your local shop who probably don't have the product you need.

It's just not feasible in this modern age to shop local all the time or to stick to normal shop opening hours.

World is changing and it's time to just move with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

I'm getting ****ed hard and not even getting updates on where my products are.

'Understandable' some are saying, but hold on. We can't buy anything locally because of the lockdown. So online is absolutely essential to be working effectively. If not, then what? **** us? Not everything that is essential comes in Lidl. If you expect people to stay under lockdown, you have to make sure at the very least postal deliveries are boosted substantially. The opposite has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

95% of even regular everyday items are not available for purchase in Ireland. Whatever the reasons for that I do not know, but that is the consumer products situation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have no issues with Amazon Prime and using Parcel Motel and I get multiple items per week, most deliver within two days or you can use the Amazon Prime Day delivery option and if you order on a Friday you will have it by Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

All the more reason to support your local bookshops.

Advertisement