Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Day "Rappers"

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Mad props for Bruce Grobs

video-time-to-dust-off-the-anfield-rap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

MadYaker wrote: »
    Another old man ranting about stuff he’s been out of touch with for 20 years. Start with To Pimp a Butterfly, by Kendrick Lamar.

It's true I may be old and out of touch with the whole scene. Still though I'll never ever get my head around how today's rappers could believe that it's a great idea to destroy their face with permanent scribbles. What's with most of the being called "Lil xxxx"insert random name here"xxx. Most of them look like mentally ill substance abusers. Lil Peep being an example of what I'm talking about. Face destroyed with horrible tattoos, teeth destroyed with metal, dead in his early 20s from a cocktail of fentanyl and xanax in his system. Sadly that's how I imagine many of them will end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Theres loads of great rappers still out there but they arent really as mainstream. A lot of the late teens/early 20s are into what I would consider pop rap, like mentioned in the OP. You might need to dig a little more for the good ones. Depending on the type of rap you like Id suggest checking out

J Cole
    Kendrick Lamar
    Run the Jewels
    Conway the Machine
    Benny the Butcher
    Action Bronson
    Meyhem Lauren
    Isaiah Rashad
    Joey Badass

Just to name a few, loads more good ones out there releasing new music.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can anyone explain to me why rappers in recent years are destroying their faces with tattoos and giving themselves ridiculous names like Lil XxxGeebagxXX and PcPBraindeadXX? The quality of their "music" is appalling also. It's like most of them have sub par IQs yet many of them end up being worth millions.

The whole Rap scene is totally gone to the dogs since the days of Dre, 2Pac etc

Frankie Boyles comment under headline “ xxxtentacion pronounced dead” “I always wondered how that was as pronounced “

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A Tribe called Quest and Jurassic 5 ftw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

For anyone looking for a good rundown of the development of Hip-Hop, the Hip-Hop Evolution series on Netflix is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

This fellas interviews some degenerates...

Sounds like they dropped about 10 Xanax

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭ballsdeep69

I can't stand listening to Irish rappers but this fela is good https://youtu.be/qYwfPdYnYBw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,830 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I never really got rap. I couldn't associate. Lads be banging on about da hood and killing cops and bitches and all that other gangbanging stuff. Didn't really relate to a small, slightly overweight, utterly white ginger kid from County Limerick who was into Power Rangers and Mario. But there are some songs I like, simply because of the music. Mostly from Dre/Snoop, Forgot about Dre, Next Episode, etc. Really like the funny ones, like Break ya Neck, lots of the non-serious Eminem ones. That's just me in general though, I listen to the music before the lyrics, and rarely like songs that are 'serious' (mostly listening to Pirate Metal and Electro Swing these days).

The modern lads I can't get behind at all, and I genuinely cannot stand the UK rappers, their voices go through me. This grime stuff is muck, but it did allow us to get the wonderful Pete and Bas:

(video slightly NSFW)

Rap is the new cockney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

Dre 2pac are utter garbage greatest ever lived is
    K-Rino

K-Rino poops all over 2pac in terms of talent. Like comparing a Nissan Micra to Ferrari Enzo.

You know many rappers admit hes the best ever in smaller interviews too?. Like the interviews with rap magazines.

He has offered serious I mean serious money to the likes of Eminem Jay-Z all the other big names to battle rap him and they all refuse. Know they will get rinsed he will slaughter them.

He never became a household name as he has integrity; refuses to sell out and is a religious man non materialistic man. He cares not for money. Why should he?. He knows money cant buy one ounce of happiness.

Heres an example

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O5mSWLnJXY0

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nP_2yE0AAlI

Jay Z is a billionaire and is married to Beyoncé. I really don’t think he cares about someone trying to out rap him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

He’s no Snoopy Dogg Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,319 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Couple legit lads in the comments with the seal of approval :cool: we’re goin places. 2020 ya don’t stop hyea boiiiii

Never stop the grind oh yeh and we out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

6IX9INE is everything that's wrong with hip-hop/rap

A literal gangster only just out of prison for armed assault, covered in tattoos and fits as many big arsed women as possible in his videos to attract attention. His song from last month has 430 million views. With role models like this guy no wonder there's so many toerag kids around. Oh and his songs are all autotuned shyte but you probably guessed that.

ShaneU wrote: »

A lot of people will argue that at its core rap is just rot, a playground for degeneracy and people like him represent its evolution

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

Watched a good 4 part documentary about the Wu Tang Clan on Sky Arts last week. Was never into them but I enjoyed the doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

ShaneU wrote: »

A literal gangster only just out of prison for armed assault, covered in tattoos and fits as many big arsed women as possible in his videos to attract attention. His song from last month has 430 million views. With role models like this guy no wonder there's so many toerag kids around. Oh and his songs are all autotuned shyte but you probably guessed that.

I'm a big fan of 6ix9ine, and if there's one thing he isn't, it's a gangster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

RayCon wrote: »
    Watched a good 4 part documentary about the Wu Tang Clan on Sky Arts last week. Was never into them but I enjoyed the doc.

Of Mikes and Men?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

RayCon wrote: »

somebody working at oxygen reported back here to boards that he met the wu tang clan and they were the soundest heads he ever met! Can't recall who else he met that were absolute cnts! possibly fergie!

• Advertisement

Here's a contemporary rapper who doesn't fall into any of the tropes. This could have been released in the mid-90s. I love this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,998 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I've never identified with most of rap. I don't know about living in the hood with everyone around me addicted to crack and people being murdered and going in and out of prison. I watch Louis Theroux documentaries to find out about that stuff.

Song lyrics are poetry set to music. The fact that it's such a huge industry means the topics they rap about reflects real life for millions and millions of people around the world. And that's a genuinely terrible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of 6ix9ine, and if there's one thing he isn't, it's a gangster.

He was a member of the bloods, what does that make him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'll get into rap when gangbangers in LA start wearing natty waistcoats and belt out Wagon Wheel in the back of the low rider while cruising the hood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Agricola wrote: »
    I'll get into rap when gangbangers in LA start wearing natty waistcoats and belt out Wagon Wheel in the back of the low rider while cruising the hood.

You are so ill informed.

Hiphop came from NewYork. "Gangster rap" came out of LA. Listen to something like Jazzmatazz by GURU completely flips your thought process on its head. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Anyone can make music now, all you need is a laptop, a mic,
    free software .
    A free account on youtube or soundcloud.
    So theres no quality control. in the 80,s ,or the 90,s you had to pay to go into
    a recording studio ,you needed to perform music in a club or a venue to get
    an audience.you had to have some talent or musical ability to get a record contract with sony ,or emi or some indie music company .
    theres rappers who make music about hoes and using drugs or being in a gang.
    IF you want to hear complex sensitive music about equal rights and respecting women and feminism maybe you should not be listening to rap music .
    Theres more music by female rappers and music of different genres getting in to the charts.
    Rap is like 70 s punk, anyone can try it , it does not require great lyrical skill or a great voice to be a rapper

Its becoming hard to separate rap from the way some people just come off nowadays that’s the real worry, when it transcends music into a new form of pidgin. We see it utilised all the time in marketing and what not due to its ultimately bland, inoffensive nature I mean it’s impossibly easy on the ear and unchallenging. Talking about the ‘instrumental’ versions of course otherwise atypically riddled with expletives and jive, talk

Advertisement