Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Refund Query

Options
  • 26-05-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I will try and keep this short.

We were unsure how much oil to order from a well know oil company. We were told we would be refunded based on the amount consumed (we wanted a full tank). We did however expect to pay a small amount extra per litre on the eventual amount 'used', if we didn't fully avail of ordered amount.

We ordered 700l, using 451l.

Response from company:
    'The price per litre was .4874 for the 451 litre totalling € 219.85

You had paid € 247.80 so the balance owed to you was € 27.95.'

Are we being unrealistic in thinking that a return of 249l of oil, for the price of 27.95, is wholly inadequate?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

BOBIDGE wrote: »
    I will try and keep this short.

We were unsure how much oil to order from a well know oil company. We were told we would be refunded based on the amount consumed (we wanted a full tank). We did however expect to pay a small amount extra per litre on the eventual amount 'used', if we didn't fully avail of ordered amount.

We ordered 700l, using 451l.

Response from company:
    'The price per litre was .4874 for the 451 litre totalling € 219.85

You had paid € 247.80 so the balance owed to you was € 27.95.'

Are we being unrealistic in thinking that a return of 249l of oil, for the price of 27.95, is wholly inadequate?

Thanks

You ordered 700l at what price ? 247/700 is 35.3c per liter
    But they are saying 48.7c per l.

Why the disparity?

Are you sure you didn't order 500l
    That's would make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jimmy86

Are you sure they didn't charge you for 500L over the phone? €247.80 sounds about right for that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

Thanks for replies.

Ordered on 1/5/20 - 700l for 247.80
    Received 451l, leaving 249l.
    Refunded 27.95

We escalated it to managerial level, with no success. Having no experience in this field, I wanted to canvass opinion. I expected closer to 80 euro. Not a huge amount but it is now matter of principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Could you not have looked in your tank and made a rough guess. Most domestic tanks are 1100 litres. Quite easy to put a stick in, check the level and work out half a tank.

Check their website for a 450L price or call up asking for price for 400L and use that as an example.
    Also get a quote from a couple of other local suppliers for 450L and use this as a comparison

Usually there's about 3c-5c difference

I do see that 499L on capital oil is €259 and one more litre @500L is €205.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BOBIDGE

silver2020 wrote: »
    Could you not have looked in your tank and made a rough guess. Most domestic tanks are 1100 litres. Quite easy to put a stick in, check the level and work out half a tank.

Check their website for a 450L price or call up asking for price for 400L and use that as an example.
    Also get a quote from a couple of other local suppliers for 450L and use this as a comparison

Usually there's about 3c-5c difference

I do see that 499L on capital oil is €259 and one more litre @500L is €205.

As I said - inexperienced. We know now.

As written, I expected to pay extra, based on an increased pro-rata figure - 451l vs. 700l. I wanted, however, to see was the figure returned a realistic figure to expect.

We also ordered this a month ago, not on today's prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Good for everyone to know to never order under 500L - It's always way more expensive as above shows.

Some places offer "top-up" plans. These are expensive too as they top up be under 500L and charge appropriately.

A fuel gauge is quite cheap to buy. My own favourite is the simple float rather than an electronic device https://purchase.ie/product/energy-saving/oil-tank-gauge

Advertisement