Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie drum sequencing question - what kind of drum is playing in this track?

Options
  • 01-11-2018 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Budding producer here, trying to re-create one of my favourite tracks just to see if my current level of skill allows it as I'm waiting for writers' block to lift �� My one major blind spot is drums and beats, it's never been my thing and I've always avoided sequencing it in the past beyond using very basic samples and loops.
    Tackling it head on this time and having more success than expected, but I'm stuck trying to figure out what type of drum / beat a particular sound is a sample of, and therefore where in my vast (and hitherto largely unexplored) collection of different beats samples I should be looking for a similar sound.

The track is Don't You Worry Child by SHM. The instrumental is linked below with a direct time link to where the beat I'm trying to replicate comes in - 0m, 56s if you're on mobile, as I don't think direct timestamp links work for YouTube on a phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL_tvm5W1Io&t=0m56s#t=0m56s

It's the rhythmic beat which slowly fades in during that synth break. On a real drum kit I'd say it sounds somewhat like a snare with the rattle switched off? Or maybe in dance music terms it's a snare and a clap played simultaneously?

If my level of drum ignorance sounds astounding, rest assured that it totally is �� But I'll get there eventually, dammit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sounds like a sample from a band snare. Probably had a bit of reverb and compression and could even have a white noise layer to give a bit of an edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

mordeith wrote: »
    Sounds like a sample from a band snare. Probably had a bit of reverb and compression and could even have a white noise layer to give a bit of an edge.

Hey, only seeing this now! Wasn't showing up in my quote notifications for some reason. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go and see how it sounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Its just a snare roll with a ton of reverb id say.

Advertisement