Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-01-2020, 07:37   #1
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Using router along with Vodafone Gigabox

After years using Sky I recently switched to Vodafone and I'm now using their Gigabox and so far I'm very disappointed.

It's screwed up my network and if I stream content across my LAN from NAS via wifi or purely ethernet I end up with buffering issues and its really annoying me at this stage. Prior to changing the router I had no such issues with sky.

I've not seen any settings on the Gigabox that will allow me to improve things at this stage so I'm thinking I'll connect thr Gigabox to a router and leave a router handle the wifi/ethernet.

Only problem is its been years since I've done this type of setup with a modem and router (previously with NTL in 2006), can anyone suggest a decent router to work with the Gigabox that ideally has 4 ethernet ports.
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 14:18   #2
alec76

Why would you need to keep Gigabox at the first place?
Couldn't you just replace it altogether?
24-01-2020, 14:30   #3
ronoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabaal View Post
After years using Sky I recently switched to Vodafone and I'm now using their Gigabox and so far I'm very disappointed.

It's screwed up my network and if I stream content across my LAN from NAS via wifi or purely ethernet I end up with buffering issues and its really annoying me at this stage. Prior to changing the router I had no such issues with sky.

I've not seen any settings on the Gigabox that will allow me to improve things at this stage so I'm thinking I'll connect thr Gigabox to a router and leave a router handle the wifi/ethernet.

Only problem is its been years since I've done this type of setup with a modem and router (previously with NTL in 2006), can anyone suggest a decent router to work with the Gigabox that ideally has 4 ethernet ports.
I'm streaming 4k video over the gigabox's LAN from NAS to my TV with no issues. Are you sure it is the gigabox?
24-01-2020, 17:22   #4
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by alec76 View Post
Why would you need to keep Gigabox at the first place?
Couldn't you just replace it altogether?
I wasn't aware I could with Vodafones setup, how can I setup a normal router for use with Vodafone what are the settings?
24-01-2020, 17:23   #5
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronoc View Post
I'm streaming 4k video over the gigabox's LAN from NAS to my TV with no issues. Are you sure it is the gigabox?
It's the only thing that has changed and its streaming /buffering issues to multi devices on the network as well since then.
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 17:40   #6
ED E

Do you have Vodafone TV Cabaal?
25-01-2020, 08:15   #7
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
Do you have Vodafone TV Cabaal?
Nope, don't have their voip offering either
Thanks from:
25-01-2020, 08:23   #8
gar

Quote:
Nope, don't have their voip offering either
I recently replaced the Gigabox router with my own.
No issues now. Put in a Netgear nighthawk x4s
25-01-2020, 08:52   #9
alec76

What kind of a broadband do you have (vdsl ,FTTH )?
Advertisement
26-01-2020, 18:38   #10
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
What kind of a broadband do you have (vdsl ,FTTH )?
Vdsl I think,
it used existing setup used by sky. Only upto 100mb not gigabit
26-01-2020, 18:59   #11
alec76

Alright , so you can't replace Gigabox altogether , you still need vdsl modem , I've thought you are ftth.
27-01-2020, 07:41   #12
Cabaal
Ultra Running Mod

Quote:
Alright , so you can't replace Gigabox altogether , you still need vdsl modem , I've thought you are ftth.
Am I right in assuming i can change the gigabox to bridge mode and just connect iot to the likes of the this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-A7-W...5A1OLE&sr=8-10
17-06-2020, 20:23   #13
barrac

Quote:
Am I right in assuming i can change the gigabox to bridge mode and just connect iot to the likes of the this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-A7-W...5A1OLE&sr=8-10
Hi Cabaal. Just wondering how you got on here. I'm having similar issues with the VF Gigabox. Download speeds are as expected at 70/80 Mbps but the connection drops on a regular basis. Likewise previously with Sky and never had any issues.
Thanks from:
15-07-2020, 22:01   #14
rostalof

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrac View Post
Hi Cabaal. Just wondering how you got on here. I'm having similar issues with the VF Gigabox. Download speeds are as expected at 70/80 Mbps but the connection drops on a regular basis. Likewise previously with Sky and never had any issues.
Same here, previously with EIR, had no issues. Now this crappy gigabox drops the connection every few minutes, not conducive to working from home. I setup the old EIR router a few weeks back, broadband was fine, but after setting it up I realised I couldn't add the connection details for our landline which is part of the VF package. The landline is equally as unreliable.
Thanks from:
16-07-2020, 15:54   #15
sheroman01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostalof View Post
Same here, previously with EIR, had no issues. Now this crappy gigabox drops the connection every few minutes, not conducive to working from home. I setup the old EIR router a few weeks back, broadband was fine, but after setting it up I realised I couldn't add the connection details for our landline which is part of the VF package. The landline is equally as unreliable.
Exact same here! Was with Eir - connection never dropped. Two months with Vodafone and as other posters say, speeds appear great (70/80) but connection always drops and there is a lag on nearly every page - especially on my iphone (cache was deleted, made no difference). Hopefully there is some fix for this.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion