Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

It's already at the meter for me but I have no sockets inside the wall at the point so want to bring it around to the opposite side of the house. Planning on pulling the first line of cobbles around the house, have plenty of pea gravel underneath, just need to know if I have to go out and buy conduit or if they will have some...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

ipodrocker wrote: »
    Wish I thought of this at time of the install!, i would of prefered in the attic as have power sockets and attic floored. my issue the ONT is in the sitting room and like network stuff up in attic to centralize stuff. any know of service to get the install changed?
    The only thing I can say is that a former neighbour of ours got told it would have cost her 300EUR (I think) to move the ONT from where it was installed originally to another room. Not being able to get the speed over Wi-Fi was what brought this on.

This would have been with Sky via rural OpenEir FTTH rather than Siro.

You've probably thought of it, but would it be an option to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to your main switch instead?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

elusiveguy wrote: »
    ...just need to know if I have to go out and buy conduit or if they will have some...

I can't imagine why they would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

elusiveguy wrote: »
    It's already at the meter for me but I have no sockets inside the wall at the point so want to bring it around to the opposite side of the house. Planning on pulling the first line of cobbles around the house, have plenty of pea gravel underneath, just need to know if I have to go out and buy conduit or if they will have some...
    not to say obvious but how much excess did they leave of a cable, as in my case it was 1 or 2meters at best and think thats the main cable that goes into OTN box, so in other words if they left few feet your stuck already where it will be drilled and connected to. that said not an expert so could be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

scamalert wrote: »
    well in my case ive missed the installers that ducted fiber underground to meter, guess if i was home and told them where i wanted it, fckit even had ladder if need be, they would prob rolled it out enough to place where i wanted it hooked up, as they came over without any notification and whoever was at house they said they will only need access to meter box - if you can catch em on time when they arrive id say good chance they would route to wherever it would be possible.

That's the pre-installation crew and that fibre is ALWAYS ran into the meter, unless it's an overhead install. On the day of the installation it will be brought to it's final destination. There should be plenty on that to get it where you need it.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    That's the pre-installation crew and that fibre is ALWAYS ran into the meter, unless it's an overhead install. On the day of the installation it will be brought to it's final destination. There should be plenty on that to get it where you need it.

/M
    well there was excess left as mentioned, but would been no where close to where i would of wanted it to go, so extra 10m at least short.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

Hi, just thought I'd pop back onto this thread to recommend Digiweb. Without repeating the background story from earlier in the thread, it didn't look like SIRO were going to connect our house. The Digiweb representative on here, Brendan, persisted and eventually found a way to get the ESB to carry out some works and SIRO to install.

We've had the service for about a month now and it's great. I initially went with Digiweb on the basis of their reputation for good customer service. This reputation is well deserved, their team has been excellent. As an ex-Eir customer, you really appreciate the importance of it.

Cheers
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭CoBo55

mirrorball wrote: »
    Hi, just thought I'd pop back onto this thread to recommend Digiweb. Without repeating the background story from earlier in the thread, it didn't look like SIRO were going to connect our house. The Digiweb representative on here, Brendan, persisted and eventually found a way to get the ESB to carry out some works and SIRO to install.

We've had the service for about a month now and it's great. I initially went with Digiweb on the basis of their reputation for good customer service. This reputation is well deserved, their team has been excellent. As an ex-Eir customer, you really appreciate the importance of it.

Cheers
    Peter

I really want to go with digiweb too but still no sign of siro completing the works here. VM are fleecing me for 67.50 pm which is very high. I emailed digiweb enquiring about a possible date but they never replied.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I really want to go with digiweb too but still no sign of siro completing the works here. VM are fleecing me for 67.50 pm which is very high. I emailed digiweb enquiring about a possible date but they never replied.

Sorry about that, send us a PM on here and we'll take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

z0oT wrote: »
    The only thing I can say is that a former neighbour of ours got told it would have cost her 300EUR (I think) to move the ONT from where it was installed originally to another room. Not being able to get the speed over Wi-Fi was what brought this on.

This would have been with Sky via rural OpenEir FTTH rather than Siro.

You've probably thought of it, but would it be an option to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to your main switch instead?

yes have that as another option, just wondered if can get the ONT moved if its something can be done, i mean i could run the fibre cable to be terminated just wondering if the ISP will arrange a move or not, presume only ISP engineers have access to the box which is installed on the outside of the house.

• Advertisement

Digiweb wrote: »
    Sorry about that, send us a PM on here and we'll take a look.

I sent a PM yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Anyone had actavo come around to the outside of their buildings lately and do some work on the boxes outside?
    We had a set of 3 lads this morning going around the block on a cherry picker drilling and stuff at the termination points all around the area.
    Nothing physical that I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Hoping someone can help here... Weve just moved house and are still waiting to be connected with broadband. Its been 5 weeks at least since we started initial move with Vodafone. We seem to be going round and round in circles. And we are still waiting for the ESB to come and connect the line to the house. What were other peoples wait times, can we get on to ESB directly instead of hearing from Vodafone that they have been already and then the Install guys arrive and tell us ESB have not been yet!! thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

snowgal wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help here... Weve just moved house and are still waiting to be connected with broadband. Its been 5 weeks at least since we started initial move with Vodafone. We seem to be going round and round in circles. And we are still waiting for the ESB to come and connect the line to the house. What were other peoples wait times, can we get on to ESB directly instead of hearing from Vodafone that they have been already and then the Install guys arrive and tell us ESB have not been yet!! thank you

It’s not the ESB who will connect the line to the house. It will be a contractor doing the work on behalf of SIRO.

Is SIRO in your area at the moment? Are you getting an overhead connection or underground?

atlantean wrote: »
    It’s not the ESB who will connect the line to the house. It will be a contractor doing the work on behalf of SIRO.

Some installations require an intervention by an ESB linesman as they require working close to overhead power lines.

mine was 5 working days, after placing order with VF, 3 days later someone came connected and ducted fiber to the meter, and install engineers 2 days later finished setup, if nothing is being done, maybe just cancel and move to likes of digiweb, slight price increase but seeing a lot of people prefer them, and think theres a rep in here, as technically your not even in any contract until connected so just pull out and get someone who can do it on time.

Is SIRO in your area at the moment? Are you getting an overhead connection or underground?

yes it is in our area.
    It is overhead connection. When 1st Installer came out he said they couldnt go ahead as trees were too high. So we got someone to come out and cut them. Then the 2nd guy came out and said the ESB have not been to the pole across from us to do connection?? and they cant go any further until ESB come. He said it would cost €1000 to do this as theyd have to set up traffic control for ESB as its on a busy road...That was 2 weeks ago and since then nothing....

yes it is in our area.
    It is overhead connection. When 1st Installer came out he said they couldnt go ahead as trees were too high. So we got someone to come out and cut them. Then the 2nd guy came out and said the ESB have not been to the pole across from us to do connection?? and they cant go any further until ESB come. He said it would cost €1000 to do this as theyd have to set up traffic control for ESB as its on a busy road...That was 2 weeks ago and since then nothing....
    That’s a totally different situation to me. My connection is overhead too but they installed a cable on my house long before the service went live in the area. Once the service went live all the installer had to do was connect into a junction box an run a cable down the wall and into my house. I had it installed within 2 weeks of ordering it and it could have been quicker only I needed to arrange a time that I could be there.

It sounds to me if there are poles involved then it’s a big job and it could take some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

My Siro is totally down, plugged out plugged in, disconnected all cables, reconnected all cables etc.

Flashing Red light on LOS.

Am onto Vodafone support but on hold for last 30 minutes, need this as WFH.

Any ideas?

That’s a totally different situation to me. My connection is overhead too but they installed a cable on my house long before the service went live in the area. Once the service went live all the installer had to do was connect into a junction box an run a cable down the wall and into my house. I had it installed within 2 weeks of ordering it and it could have been quicker only I needed to arrange a time that I could be there.

It sounds to me if there are poles involved then it’s a big job and it could take some time!

great! not... Were both on wfh from tomorrow so its going to be a disaster. Im tempted to just cancel it all completely and go with 'regular' broadband. We cant do this with Vodafone so we'd have to change to another supplier. Does everyone's SIRO not involve poles?! Sorry I dont know much about it...They rang last night and promised it would be sorted either end of week or first thing next week but at this stage Im not sure. My OH rang ESB as Vodafone insist thats where delay is and she read him on the phone for contacting them about it as they will not deal with any matters on broadband....:confused:

• Advertisement

great! not... Were both on wfh from tomorrow so its going to be a disaster. Im tempted to just cancel it all completely and go with 'regular' broadband. We cant do this with Vodafone so we'd have to change to another supplier. Does everyone's SIRO not involve poles?! Sorry I dont know much about it...They rang last night and promised it would be sorted either end of week or first thing next week but at this stage Im not sure. My OH rang ESB as Vodafone insist thats where delay is and she read him on the phone for contacting them about it as they will not deal with any matters on broadband....:confused:
    doubt ESB deal with general public when it comes to BB, as it should been really cordinated with siro, as ISP provider should be the one onto them if they claim its active in your area to get you connected, thats why ordered mine so early this year, as knew someone who had wait 6 weeks or so to get connected couple years back, even thou whole thing eventually was sorted by right engineer in few minutes, go figure i guess.

The majority of SIRO installations would probably be underground. In my case the cable is overhead and runs across the front of my house coming from my neighbours house on the left and continuing on to my neighbours house on the right.

The cable does come from a pole to the first house and is then basically daisy chained along the houses.

All this cabling was done a couple of months before my area went live. From what I’ve read on here it seems unusual for the ESB to run a fibre cable into an individual house so I’d say it could take some time to sort.

ESB involvement in an installation isn't that unusual. It usually adds a week or so to installations, not much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Had the KN guys install the fibre today. Apparently there was a problem with the duct being collapsed and they said they needed to dig up outside. Instead they used the current telephone copper line to pull through the fibre. The thing is, they totally pulled out the copper telephone line! So it is just one fibre line now. Is this normal?

Had the KN guys install the fibre today. Apparently there was a problem with the duct being collapsed and they said they needed to dig up outside. Instead they used the current telephone copper line to pull through the fibre. The thing is, they totally pulled out the copper telephone line! So it is just one fibre line now. Is this normal?

They aren't supposed to use another providers ducting. They should have unblocked your ESB duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

CoBo55 wrote: »
    They aren't supposed to use another providers ducting. They should have unblocked your ESB duct.

No the duct is the same duct the copper eir line comes in. This is the line that has been pulled out. This 1.5 inch duct come in at the front of the house where the phone box is and only had the copper phone cable coming through.

This duct has nothing to do with ESB. This house is older so there is no white termination box on the side of the house or anything.

Doesn't sound like a SIRO connection.

No the duct is the same duct the copper eir line comes in. This is the line that has been pulled out. This 1.5 inch duct come in at the front of the house where the phone box is and only had the copper phone cable coming through.

This duct has nothing to do with ESB. This house is older so there is no white termination box on the side of the house or anything.

What bb have you got exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have SIRO with Vodafone, the plan is called Gigabit Broadband Experience 1000.

I have two questions:

(1) the initial discounts have dropped, so I now pay 55pm. I am thinking of switching, but I think there aren't many competitors, as it's FTTH. Is it just Airwire?

EDIT: I now see on the SIRO website that there are several re-sellers.

(2) the plan name refers to 1000, but when I do various speedtests I get about 200-300, using ethernet to computer. Is this normal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Geuze wrote: »
    I have SIRO with Vodafone, the plan is called Gigabit Broadband Experience 1000.

I have two questions:

(1) the initial discounts have dropped, so I now pay 55pm. I am thinking of switching, but I think there aren't many competitors, as it's FTTH. Is it just Airwire?

EDIT: I now see on the SIRO website that there are several re-sellers.

Digiweb = (25*4mths) + (55*8) = 540, or 45 pm

Pure = 35 pm

Airwire = (20*3) + (50*9) = 510 = 42.50 pm, but 500 mbps for 18 month contract

I welcome any advice.

Advertisement