Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish couple in Albuferia kidnapped at gunpoint and robbed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I wonder what their motivation is though. Why go to the trouble of filing a police report?

Maybe it's a half-truth, they got robbed while trying to do something dodgy, but filed a report saying they'd been mugged by gypsies.

Then finding themselves short on cash, decided to try and make some bank from the insurance company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

maybe they never were in Portugal, and invented the whole drama in order to get on Joe.
    people nowadays crave their 2 minutes of fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

maybe they never were in Portugal, and invented the whole drama in order to get on Joe.

And RTE is in on the act by allegedly contacting the Portuguese cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This didn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,976 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I thought reading this story it doesn't make sense.....reading the Facebook story on Irish mirror is great craic, this guy seems like a total scumbag who has been done for assault and regularly rips people off, hopefully the police come down on them like a tonne of bricks for this BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

It's like they threw everything plus the kitchen sick at the story in order to make it believable with the opposite result.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MarkHenderson

Terrible ordeal for them. Hope they find the scumbags who carried this out

Do you genuinely think any of this happened?....Read the comments on the story on the Irish mirror Facebook..
    https://www.facebook.com/191236384249467/posts/2330954113611006/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When I first read the article, I genuinely thought it was too far-fetched and frankly unbelievable. I frequently stay on the Algarve, and have never had anything but positive experiences. But then again, we've never stayed in Albufeira. Who knows? My scepticism level is still high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

dudara wrote: »
    When I first read the article, I genuinely thought it was too far-fetched and frankly unbelievable. I frequently stay on the Algarve, and have never had anything but positive experiences. But then again, we've never stayed in Albufeira. Who knows? My scepticism level is still high though.

The Algarve has form for some similar incidents involving armed robbery etc

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k4797003-o110-Irish_tourists_robbed_at_gunpoint_in_their_villa-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/albufeira-robbery-suspects-caught/7763

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Do you genuinely think any of this happened?....Read the comments on the story on the Irish mirror Facebook..
    https://www.facebook.com/191236384249467/posts/2330954113611006/

If, this didn't happen and this bloke is Walter Mitty, why did the Portuguese police confirm to RTE that an incident occured and they were investigating?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If, this didn't happen and this bloke is Walter Mitty, why did the Portuguese police confirm to RTE that an incident occured and they were investigating?
    They didn't confirm an incident occurred.
    All I can see is below from them... The rest is all from the alleged victims.

Portuguese police are taking the incident “very seriously” and have two teams working on the investigation, RTE reported.

gmisk wrote: »
    They didn't confirm an incident occurred.
    All I can see is below from them... The rest is all from the alleged victims.

Portuguese police are taking the incident “very seriously” and have two teams working on the investigation, RTE reported.

Listened to Duffy on Friday and cctv footage was mentioned also. Just find this so unbelievably bizarre that someone would put forward a fairytale for no apparent reason.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Listened to Duffy on Friday and cctv footage was mentioned also. Just find this so unbelievably bizarre that someone would put forward a fairytale for no apparent reason.
    The guy seems to be a scam artist tbh... Also done for assault.
    It all seemed a bit random and far fetched for a reason..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Mrsmum wrote: »
    It's like they threw everything plus the kitchen sick at the story in order to make it believable with the opposite result.

That's what struck me. Definitely a case of over egging it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They'll be easily enough tracked I imagine.

Derry isn't all that big, and sure his and her photos all over Facebook. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Indeed..I hear lahinch is nice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I've been to the Algarve three times, and nothing bad ever happened to me there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Personally, if I was kidnapped at gunpoint with two threats (being shot and sold as a sex slave), I wouldn’t be overly enthusiastic about going out on the last night just to try and enjoy it.

He also said he gave his fiancée a bank card knowing there wasn’t any money in the account. That put her in a vulnerable position.... no?

Then when the card wouldn’t work, he was allowed to get out and help her and that is when they escaped. However when adding up how much they lost, he said €300 cash he had and €200 from the bank. How did they get the money from the bank??

Then they got robbed the second night. He said he got back to the apartment to find they had been robbed and woke up to find mobile phones etc missing. Did it happen while they were out or when they were asleep?

Thought he got a bit quiet at the end of the interview when Joe did a shoutout for anybody else that is in the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

There was a few tourists done by the cops in brazil for making up robberies iirc. Looking for a quick payout from the insurance industry to keep the good times going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Joe Duffy is to blame here for highlighting this without any proof or whatnot.

The Insurance won't pay compo because kidnap at gunpoint was not included in the policy. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Joe Duffy is to blame here for highlighting this without any proof or whatnot.

The Insurance won't pay compo because kidnap at gunpoint was not included in the policy. Go figure.
    As was ever other news outlet that published the story, the journal, the mirror, the independent and others. It seems journalists aren’t capable of doing a bit of research before publishing a story. I suppose it doesn’t matter once it’s a sensational headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

enricoh wrote: »
    There was a few tourists done by the cops in brazil for making up robberies iirc. Looking for a quick payout from the insurance industry to keep the good times going!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochtegate

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭NoeldeBournaix

enricoh wrote: »

Was that Ryan Lochte and co. during the Rio Olympics? They were charged with making false reports, but the case was later dismissed.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/court-dismisses-ryan-lochte-false-robbery-report-case-35934671.html

Edit: Collie D got in before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

pablo128 wrote: »
    Yeah and freeze to death. And instead of being robbed by Roma you get robbed by hoteliers and publicans in Ireland.

I have been on 'the strip' in Albufeira a few times. It doesn't strike you as the kind of place you would get kidnapped from, which makes this case a bit more unusual.

I was only there once....on my own. Walked up the strip and noticed a guy following me. I ducked in somewhere and lost him but Ive no doubt I was being targeted for mugging or whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Artists sketch of the gang leader
    Fbmx1KG.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fbmx1KG.jpg?1

Are they his own teeth, or is he breaking them in for a horse ^^^^:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

so the guy in the sketch robbed the couple and kidnapped Madeline McCann

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

Duvetdays wrote: »
    so the guy in the sketch robbed the couple and kidnapped Madeline McCann

That’s what I thought too :D

A sketchy sketch artist

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Fbmx1KG.jpg?1

Jaysus! It appears that George Harrison is the culprit.

220px-George_Harrison_1974_edited.jpg

Advertisement