Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Irish are ya?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I'm as Irish as a bag of Tayto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Very. I have an Irish flag on my balcony, wheaten soda bread, Kerrygold butter, a hape of Tayto in the cupboard and my boyfriend walks around singing "Are you right there Michael".

The fact I had to move to Kuala Lumpur and get a Malaysian boyfriend to feel remotely Irish has no bearing on the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My passport says I'm Irish, who am I to argue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭DubiousV

Pure true, just like kerrygold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Veryyyyyyyyyyy pale and fair haired, so 100% potato man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

The rhythm is good now Julia....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Mine even has a birthplace in Ireland on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭MaryBrosnan

I have had Irish in me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Sure if you didn't drink Guinness as a baby, what are ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Defaulter1831

98% according to Ancestry DNA. 2% Scottish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Were you arrested in Russia this week?

Lorelli! wrote: »
    How Irish are ya?

According to that Ancestry.com DNA test I took a few months ago I was 95% "Ireland and Scotland". The remaining 5% was: Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
    Great Britain <1%; Europe South <1%; European Jewish <1%;Polynesia <1%.

Got an email a couple of weeks ago to say that with further matches I'm now 100% "Ireland and Scotland". Curious that they don't distinguish between Ireland and Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,297 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I hate Bacon & Cabbage!

Turnips

Guinness

Trad music

Irish Country & Western shlte!

Westlife & Boyzone

Gaelic Football (Inter county the way it's played now :rolleyes:) Love hurlin' though!

So I'm kinda Irish ;)

6 long months I spent in dublin.....six long months

I stepped out. ..I stepped in again...

Hit

Boys oh boys this then there was ruptions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I hate Bonio.

I hate Bonio.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 welltodo

I stepped out...I stepped in again...I stepped out..I stepped in again..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J3s3F1VXFQ4&list=RDJ3s3F1VXFQ4&start_radio=1
    You have to go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I know 2 or 3 Richie Kavanagh songs off by heart.

Where’s my medal?

Hammer89 wrote:
    Were you arrested in Russia this week?

Nah still in Roscommon but they might be the same.

I hate Bonio.

Bonio are doggy treats not surprised you hate them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I hate myself but also think I'm better than everyone else

Anyhow ..whatever anyones's feelin .....there's whiskey in the jar....:)

I hate myself but also think I'm better than everyone else

You're not just Irish but you have Bono syndrome.

I stepped in again......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Still 2% is too much. We better hide the Irn Bru and lock up the haggis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm one hundred percent Catholic Irish.

Sired by an O'Connor and bore by an O'Neill woman.

The O' Connor family were the last High Kings of this island.

Ruaidre.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Belfast born, father from Belfast and mother from Tyrone. Lived in Dublin most of my life. Family surname Scottish in origin.

My sister did one of those DNA ancestry tests - turns out we are 90% Irish/Scottish, 6% Scandinavian and 4% Iberian.

So mainly Irish with a bit of Viking and Spaniard in me...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I'm a mutt, half Irish (Mother) half Indian (Father).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Witchie wrote: »
    Very. I have an Irish flag on my balcony, wheaten soda bread, Kerrygold butter, a hape of Tayto in the cupboard and my boyfriend walks around singing "Are you right there Michael".
    There's always one little thing trips ye shape-shifting impersonating aliens up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Cut me and I will bleed mashed potatoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

British & Irish 98.4% /Broadly Northwestern European 1.6%

That DNA test was a waste of money:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've red hair, freckles and a temper.. I'm probably pretty much 100% Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Born in damascus but moved here 5 years ago but i am a fuly qualified engineer... so yes. Im irish... even gave me a little piece of paper to tell me that i am..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am ENGLISH but two sets of not very far back ancestors are Irish. One is OK ...the other we do not talk about :eek:

The first time I met the ferryman who is now my neighbour and was asking re long term rental here , he was delighted to hear about the good ones and I kept quiet re the others..

Cut me and I will bleed mashed potatoes.

:D

Im a quarter English afaik but I refuse to wear Reebok classics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,823 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Father Irish and mother is Italian.
    Born in London.
    Have polish residency.
    **** knows I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Belfast born, father from Belfast and mother from Tyrone. Lived in Dublin most of my life. Family surname Scottish in origin.

My sister did one of those DNA ancestry tests - turns out we are 90% Irish/Scottish, 6% Scandinavian and 4% Iberian.

So mainly Irish with a bit of Viking and Spaniard in me...:pac:

From that, you're mostly a Scottish planter and not much Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Depends on which passport I present at border control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Poll Dubh

I’ve got some Spanish sailor in me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I'm very much Irish, but have never had to bother getting one of those idiotic DNA tests to prove it. A fool and his money and all that.

Anyways, born in the Whest of Ireland, a native Irish speaker, winner of an All Ireland club football medal, played for Gaillimh in Croke Park at underage level, keen fiddle player, passable uilleann pipe player, heavy drinker, occasional fighter, raconteur.

I wear my Irishness lightly though, as I'm comfortable about it. I have started visiting some of those Pop Up Gaeltacht events recently and I must say I'm quite the object of admiring female attention. The events are usually frequented by very serious young men with that terrible, clipped, and contrived South Dublin Gaelscoil Irish. You know the sort: beard, glasses, tweed jacket with leather patches, SF supporter, usually with a Planter surname clumsily translated into Irish. Interminable bores rambling on about history while sipping their pale ales. As a result, most of the ladies who attend are most impressed with meeting a wild-eyed native speaker who speaks the language with such fluidity and joy. Flirting, story telling, and truly enjoying getting to speak the language in our capital city.

Don't want to go into too many details, but the Pop Up Gaeltacht events have done wonders for my sex life. Pulled a glamorous divorcee at one of them before Christmas. It was great to hear her shout, "go suas orm, Johnny. Tuilleadh, tuilleadh!" as we went at it like two randy lunatics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'm very much Irish, but have never had to bother getting one of those idiotic DNA tests to prove it. A fool and his money and all that.

Anyways, born in the Whest of Ireland, a native Irish speaker, winner of an All Ireland club football medal, played for Gaillimh in Croke Park at underage level, keen fiddle player, passable uilleann pipe player, heavy drinker, occasional fighter, raconteur.

I wear my Irishness lightly though, as I'm comfortable about it. I have started visiting some of those Pop Up Gaeltacht events recently and I must say I'm quite the object of admiring female attention. The events are usually frequented by very serious young men with that terrible, clipped, and contrived South Dublin Gaelscoil Irish. You know the sort: beard, glasses, tweed jacket with leather patches, SF supporter, usually with a Planter surname clumsily translated into Irish. Interminable bores rambling on about history while sipping their pale ales. As a result, most of the ladies who attend are most impressed with meeting a wild-eyed native speaker who speaks the language with such fluidity and joy. Flirting, story telling, and truly enjoying getting to speak the language in our capital city.

Don't want to go into too many details, but the Pop Up Gaeltacht events have done wonders for my sex life. Pulled a glamorous divorcee at one of them before Christmas. It was great to hear her shout, "go suas orm, Johnny. Tuilleadh, tuilleadh!" as we went at it like two randy lunatics.

Corofin or Caltra? A great achievement winning an all Ireland with the club. Even better than county imo. Fair play to ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

If we take the Joe.ie approach to being Irish, such as "this video of a man eating a chicken fillet roll is the most Irish thing ever", then I'm very much Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I get knocked down but I get up again, you ain't never gonna keep me down...

Thespoofer wrote: »
    I get knocked down but I get up again, you ain't never gonna keep me down...

Other than pissing the night away, that reference couldn't be less Irish if it tried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm waiting to get mine back. According to the old family tree I'm Irish with a hint of Channel Isles but then the auntie got her DNA done and despite Irish surnames traced as far back as the 17th century it turns out she only 2% Irish.
    Going by that I could be a grand mixture of a mongrel... which would explain why I hate crisp sambos, am punctual, not a Roman Catholic, never voted for either FF or FG, no interest in the GAAAA, don't like tea, the last place you would find me when abroad is in an Irish bar (apart from the one time in Rome where it was the only place I could watch the 6 Nations)

...or someone got the Auntie's test mixed up and I'm just an oddball...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I'm level 2 Irish, meaning im born in Ireland, to Irish parents who were born in the free state. My kids are level 1 Irish as the are born to parents born in the Irish republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm one hundred percent Catholic Irish.

Sired by an O'Connor and bore by an O'Neill woman.

The O' Connor family were the last High Kings of this island.

Ruaidre.
    Yeah, you're right! The O'Connors messed up big-time!!

LOSERS! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I have my dinner at lunchtime on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

cdeb wrote: »
    There's always one little thing trips ye shape-shifting impersonating aliens up...

Not at all. I don't use stupid nonsensical words for objects when they have a real meaningful name.

I also blame my Tyrone mother and spending my formative years in Canada eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

I stepped out...I stepped in again...I stepped out..I stepped in again..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J3s3F1VXFQ4&list=RDJ3s3F1VXFQ4&start_radio=1

You posting that is beyond freaky. I only had a conversation in work about The Bards on Thursday and yesterday showed that exact link to a work colleague.

• Advertisement
Advertisement