Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords Dashcam Offer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭Inviere

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Doesn’t your camera come on with motion in the car and therefore need a power source ?

The model I have doesn't have a motion sensor so not something that I'm concerned with. If it did, I'd prob turn the feature off anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Doesn’t your camera come on with motion in the car and therefore need a power source ?

Motion sensor means the camera is recording constantly as any blow of the wind, sway of a tree sets it off. I'e turned that feature off on all my dash cams.

Now if your in an area that has no natural movement, it could work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Can I just mention.

If your going to hard wire a camera to the car. Make sure you get the hardwire kit and battery monitor. Otherwise you'll drain the battery of the car as the device will using power all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭Damien360

TallGlass wrote: »
    Can I just mention.

If your going to hard wire a camera to the car. Make sure you get the hardwire kit and battery monitor. Otherwise you'll drain the battery of the car as the device will using power all the time.

Not necessarily. I wired mine to switched live not permanent live. I piggybacked to rear wiper and once the car is off, the camera is off. I did this on my Skoda. Almost done on wife's Hyundai.

Hyundai use a smaller micro fuse prong which is not available in Halfords. I emailed Nextbase and they are sending me the correct tap adapter free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭Damien360

I should add. The hardest part of each install is finding an Earth. A lot of screws go to plastic so finding a screw that ends into metal was an effort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I almost hate giving advise on this site sometimes. You get taken out to town for giving advise to people, you might know, chances are other people may not know that you can't just pick a random fuse.

With that said, using a voltage regulator my dash cam will be recording when it's parked and will turn off when it detects a low battery voltage. So if someone hits into my car while it's parked my dash cam is still recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

thats a very neat feature to have, auto turn off when power is low.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

This has gone up to €154.80 without fitting and the filter.

Advertisement