Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSA are targeting young women with seatbelt safely campaign

Options
  • 22-02-2017 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/young-women-at-risk-over-wearing-seatbelt-incorrectly-for-comfort-or-to-protect-their-tan-35469191.html

RSA are targeting young women with their seatbelt safely campaign. 39% of younger women have admitted to wearing their seatbelt the wrong way and 9% wear it under their arm so it doesn't mess up their fake tan! I was gob smacked when I read that.
    I was watching the 9 o clock news yesterday and they were reporting on this and one woman said "I don't wear mine at all as I feel safer without it", how on earth would you feel SAFER without it.

Am I alone in thinking people are totally mad to not wear their seatbelts these days? It's as automatic a response to me as turning the key in the ignition. Don't think I've ever gotten further than the front gate without my belt on. I wouldn't feel right without it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Surely the beeping would drive the occupants of the cars crazy?

How do you wear it incorrectly other than under the arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

My uncle taught myself and cousins to drive on his farm . His way was put key in and turn but not start. Then seatbelt. . Then start engine.
    It made you give the engine time before you started it and made you put on the belt.
    15 plus years later I still do it. .
    It's all about habit and routine

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

that is what this is for https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seat-Belt-Clip-Stopper-2pc/dp/B008GO1FNI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487772434&sr=8-1&keywords=dummy+seat+belt+clip

41CpuxCHeRL._SX466_.jpg

Thinking back to the doctor on the road safety advert years ago.

Interesting, every day's a school day.

• Advertisement

they mean wearing it under the arm that is closest to the belt. So if you are in the right seat you wear the belt under your right arm.

as the lady on the left is doing

kris-seat-belt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The seatbelt is still "on", just arseways.

These ladies are what you'd call "idiots".

I have a foreign friend from a country I won't name but where all the cars about about 30 years old, and half of them have no engines and are pulled by disillusioned donkeys. She thinks seatbelts are hilarious signs of how precious Westerners are and refuses to wear one. I've actually banned her from my car because I don't want to be fined. I made her use a belt only to see her sneak it off five minutes later.

For someone pretty smart, she's really very stupid. At least she doesn't wear fake tan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thinking back to the doctor on the road safety advert years ago.

Interesting, every day's a school day.

Apparently very popular up around Donegal according to local politicians,seatbelts aren't cool up there yet it seems like every second day somebody dies on the roads in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

And yet young men are been hammered by insurance companies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Do people actually wear their seatbelts like that? I've never seen anyone like that.

Gatling wrote: »
    And yet young men are been hammered by insurance companies

A blow was struck for equality when the insurance companies decided to raise everyone's premiums.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

razorblunt wrote: »
    Do people actually wear their seatbelts like that? I've never seen anyone like that.

Actually, I had to wear my seat belt like that years ago for a few weeks due to an operation I had on my chest. (Medical exemption from wearing the belt but I did buckle the belt just either put that part under my arm or behind my back completely until I healed enough.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Jesus, I'm surprised those are legal.

Its not illegal to make or buy the object but it would definitely be illegal to use one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Jesus, I'm surprised those are legal.

They ain't.
    Garda twitter had a post up about a van driver a while back who was pulled over for no seatbelt. On closer inspection he had this device attached. They went to town on him.

Definitely a case of Darwin award nomination

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

anna080 wrote: »
    RSA are targeting young women with their seatbelt safely campaign. 39% of younger women have admitted to wearing their seatbelt the wrong way and 9% wear it under their arm so it doesn't mess up their fake tan! I was gob smacked when I read that.

Is it fake tan?

I always thought it was a boobs thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

If you're thick enough to wear the seat belt that way - are you going to be much of a loss to society?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

they mean wearing it under the arm that is closest to the belt. So if you are in the right seat you wear the belt under your right arm.

kris-seat-belt.jpg

Airbags.

You're all thinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Airbags.

You're all thinking it.

Yep. I was. He could do with some high intensity interval training and a dedicated chest programme including pec flys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Glenster wrote: »
    Is it fake tan?

I always thought it was a boobs thing.

Apparently! If you're wearing a t shirt or a vest top, wearing the belt like that can remove the tan or make it look patchy in parts. An abhorrently stupid reason to not wear a belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

razorblunt wrote: »
    I had an awful habit of wearing it like that (only as a passenger though strangely enough) until that rsa ad with the dr saying it would cut through you like as if you were made from cheese. I wear it properly now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

kris-seat-belt.jpg
    Utter lunacy. A collision at any kind of high speed and that seatbelt would slice her in two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I'd actually just not wear one at all rather than wear it like that ... The stupidity of it! (I do always wear mine, though!)

I've never really seen women wearing them that way, I'm surprised it's that common a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

anna080 wrote: »

Am I alone in thinking people are totally mad to not wear their seatbelts these days?
    I don't always wear a seatbelt. I do drive very carefully though and have never been involved in any kind of road incident.

Of course wearing a seatbelt would increase my chances of not suffering major injury, or survival, should I be involved in a crash. But by not wearing a seatbelt, it could also be argued that a driver is less likely to take risks they may take if they felt safer in the car due to wearing a seatbelt. A lot of interesting studies on the effectiveness of seatbelts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I don't always wear a seatbelt. I do drive very carefully though and have never been involved in any kind of road incident.

Of course wearing a seatbelt would increase my chances of not suffering major injury, or survival, should I be involved in a crash. But by not wearing a seatbelt, it could also be argued that a driver is less likely to take risks they may take if they felt safer in the car due to wearing a seatbelt. A lot of interesting studies on the effectiveness of seatbelts.

But you not wearing a seatbelt has no affect on drivers around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Parchment wrote: »
    True. If anything though, that's an argument in favour of not being forced to wear a seatbelt. The only danger really in most cases is to myself. Whereas drink driving, texting while driving, holding the mobile phone and so on, usually have a direct effect on other drivers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Parchment wrote: »

Well it does its you have a crash, come flying out your windscreen and into their path.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I've never crashed my car (properly as in head on) but a few years ago I was driving along a normal busy road, traffic moving nicely, when out of nowhere this car hits his brakes in front of me, and comes to an abrupt stop, I am practically standing on my brakes and my car was still hurtling towards the back of the car in front of me. I swerve my car to avoid hitting the car in front, onto the other side of the road and when I look in my mirror all I can see is a car with no signs of stopping coming straight towards me. It was 100km speed limit, turns out on the corner there was a tractor cutting a ditch which caused a van doing the full speed limit to hit his brakes which caused the car in front of me to hit his and caused me to hit mine - all doing in/around 100km ph. The guy behind me was a learner driver and he couldn't stop, hurled into the back/side of me at speed.

He was awful upset when he got out of the car screaming in my face about why did i brake out of nowhere but thankfully the two drivers in front were there and explained the situation while we waited for the Garda's to arrive

It didn't matter how careful I had been driving, the driver was completely inexperienced and slammed into me from behind. I was unscathed in that accident but had my car been turned any further on the road he'd have come in through my drivers door.

You cannot predict how another driver will behave on the road

• Advertisement

True. If anything though, that's an argument in favour of not being forced to wear a seatbelt. The only danger really in most cases is to myself. Whereas drink driving, texting while driving, holding the mobile phone and so on, usually have a direct effect on other drivers.

well except for the person charged with reckless driving causing death as a result of a minor road accident because you were not wearing a seat belt.

Advertisement