Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does everyone have tattoos nowadays?

• 04-02-2017 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking at people on First Dates and other shows on telly? Does everyone have tattoos nowadays? Is it a young persons thing? What is the appeal. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I think they look disgusting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I absolutely hate them and I'm young.They are vile looking and I have no idea of the appeal of them as they don't enhance how anybody looks and just imagine how unbelievably horrible they're going to look on wrinkly skin in 20 or 30 years time when all the young people who have them start to age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Not everyone no. I don't, and I can't think of any friends that have any. I think a younger demographic may be really into them though, for some reason. I'm not a fan myself, although I do think they can look good on darker skinned people - Spanish, Maori, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

I like tattoos - watching reality TV tho? Ugh to that...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

They preserve the things you love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I don't. Can't improve perfection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yes everyone has them. Even babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I absolutely hate them and I'm young.They are vile looking and I have no idea of the appeal of them as they don't enhance how anybody looks and just imagine how unbelievably horrible they're going to look on wrinkly skin in 20 or 30 years time when all the young people who have them start to age.

Because tattoos are a new thing, and people never got tattooed in years gone by.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alisoncaporimo/24-reasons-to-never-get-a-tattoo?utm_term=.ge7NV49Dm#.dw0Zv0W4R

(I know, its buzzfeed, but just go with it.)

Good tattoos are timeless. Bad tattoos are just that. You don't like them? Don't get tattooed.

I have no idea of the appeal of reality television.

I don't. Can't improve perfection

No, but you can draw on the cover.

Because tattoos are a new thing, and people never got tattooed in years gone by.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alisoncaporimo/24-reasons-to-never-get-a-tattoo?utm_term=.ge7NV49Dm#.dw0Zv0W4R

(I know, its buzzfeed, but just go with it.)

Good tattoos are timeless. Bad tattoos are just that. You don't like them? Don't get tattooed.

I have no idea of the appeal of reality television.

Tattoo's are extremely commonplace now much more so than in the past.I'd say the majority of people under 30 have a tattoo now which was not the case in the past.

Tattoo's are extremely commonplace now much more so than in the past.I'd say the majority of people under 30 have a tattoo now which was not the case in the past.

Ah, anecdotes. The foundation of all coherent arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't have any. When I was younger I seriously thought about getting one of a big skeleton with red glowing eyes across my chest. Obviously glad I didn't now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

No, but you can draw on the cover.

Drawing on the cover would ruin any piece of perfection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

And what? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I'm gonna be unpopular here but I think they look awful on people. I could never get one myself. Even if I decided I did want one, after a week I would be bored of it and want to change it. :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The worst are those awful infinity tattoos and getting someone else's name (or your own name) tattooed on. State of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Nothing sexier than an ankle covered in Chinese characters which actually mean "This idiot thinks these mean Peace"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

think the reason they're becoming more popular is this old fashioned stigma attached to tattoos and people with them is more or less gone from society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Just looking at people on First Dates and other shows on telly?

There's your problem.

I'll never get one, but I don't really mind them. I do find it tedious though when uninteresting people ink their 'story' on their body and expect the rest of us to give a crap. I've met a few of those.

Ah, anecdotes. The foundation of all coherent arguments.

So you think that less people have tattoos today than 20 or 30 years ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭farmerwifelet

Years ago in Ireland tattoos were mainly for men, lots of seamen would have them. It was kind of considered a sign of toughness/rougher trades etc.

Now people are afraid they will forget their children's names if they aren't tattooed on their neck or arms. I personally have only seen maybe 2 tattoos that didn't look awful. The "sleeves" are particularly ugly in my view. but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

py2006 wrote: »
    I'm gonna be unpopular here but I think they look awful on people. I could never get one myself. Even if I decided I did want one, after a week I would be bored of it and want to change it. :-/

You were already unpopular

So you think that less people have tattoos today than 20 or 30 years ago?

-Percentage of people with tattoos in Ireland: 36% .

-Tattoo statistics show tattoo popularity has grown 13% since 2007.

Source: http://www.stapaw.com/tattoos-in-the-workplace-statistics

I, at least, come with stats.

I know less under 30's than I did when I WAS under 30, but the amount with tattoos has increased. But not majority, which is what you said. Then again, that's anecdotal evidence.

Maybe people feel more comfortable showing them off? Quality and ingenuity of tattoos are astonishing now. Way better than the scratchers of 80's and 90's tattoos in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,817 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

In the past I found tattoos to be alright. I didn't love them or hate them and I might have considered getting one.
    What mainly turned me off them was the majority of people I know with them were troublesome/rough now I do know some lovely people with them. The main thing that turned me off them was when I saw pictures of people before and after getting them be it people I know or famous people. Even if you see pictures of Conor McGregor without tattoos he looked so much better without them in my honest opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They are like beards, meant to make you hip and stand out from the crowd, but in the end it just makes you the same as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bonnie63

From an artistic point of view some that Ive seen are just simply outstanding! but with the proliferation of tattoo's it reinforces my view that people are so impressionable and to a large part, followers. I think the first mainstream guy was Beckham ( I think) and then seemingly overnight the whole world (europe/UK anyway) wanted tatts. I like tatts but I wouldnt have one done.

-Percentage of people with tattoos in Ireland: 36% .

-Tattoo statistics show tattoo popularity has grown 13% since 2007.

Source: http://www.stapaw.com/tattoos-in-the-workplace-statistics

I, at least, come with stats.

I know less under 30's than I did when I WAS under 30, but the amount with tattoos has increased. But not majority, which is what you said. Then again, that's anecdotal evidence.

Maybe people feel more comfortable showing them off? Quality and ingenuity of tattoos are astonishing now. Way better than the scratchers of 80's and 90's tattoos in Ireland.

Who cares about me doing research into whether my claim was true or not, it's a fairly trivial subject being discussed on an internet forum not a debate in the Dáil.

Also if 36% of people in general have tattoo's then it's a reasonable to say that adults under 30 are far more likely to have tattoo than those above 30 and therefore my claim that the majority under 30 have tattoo's is probably true.

They preserve the things you love

like Starland Vocal Band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

I got one because I wanted to remember where I left my keys.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Grandad always said tattoos were for sailors and chinamen.im neither.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Silly attitude imo.

I love the argument of "but its going to look wrinkly in 20/30 years", do you really live your life in such a way that that you worry about 30 years in the future!?

Fair enough but you get a tattoo and it's there for life all other fashion choices are temporary.

People do think about the future when they make decisions, that's a fiarly normal thing.

Who cares about me doing research into whether my claim was true or not, it's a fairly trivial subject being discussed on an internet forum not a debate in the Dáil.

Also if 36% of people in general have tattoo's then it's a reasonable to say that adults under 30 are far more likely to have tattoo than those above 30 and therefore my claim that the majority under 30 have tattoo's is probably true.

Use of mayonnaise in America has increased since 2000 - now. Divorce rates have dropped in America in the same date. I could say that mayonnaise results in couples staying together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Each to their own.

I don't have any myself, but I like tattoos on some people.

Personal taste really .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I love tattoos, I have a number of them, started when I was 17 and haven't any regretted yet. OH has a number of tattoos too, including a full sleeve. We both hang around with "artsy" people so I suppose tattoos would be seen as more common place among us, but I know plenty of people my age (mid 20's) without tattoos who don't like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I often wonder if the current trend for getting very visible tatts on places such as the hands or the neck, will seem like a wise idea in the future?

But as long as you're an adult, its your own call.

But agree that people are very easily swayed into following fashion.
    The big trend for oiled down, swept over haircuts like you'd see on an accountant in 1970, Hitler like, if you'd done that yourself before Becks and some Hollywood star done it, you'd be laughed out of town.

If you'd grown a beard about 4 years ago, same thing.

But as soon as some cool celeb does it, then its all ok to do it.

I mean if I wear big flared jeans into work on Monday, the place will p1ss themselves laughing....but if Tom Hardy started wearing them, you can guarantee all the sheep would think they are great.

• Advertisement

Use of mayonnaise in America has increased since 2000 - now. Divorce rates have dropped in America in the same date. I could say that mayonnaise results in couples staying together.

What are you on about in fairness.

It's fairly obvious that younger people are more likely to have tattoo's , it is not that great a leap to make based on anecdotal evidence we see everyday.

They are more likely, yes. But I'm challenging your majority statement.

I know more 30 - 40 year olds, and quite a few have tattoos. Does that mean the majority of 30 - 40 year olds have tattoos? No.

Anyway, OP was talking about First Dates. Cookie cutter TV, that is made by numbers. Each person was selected to appeal to a particular demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I don't mind them on other people but not a hope in hell will I ever have one myself. It stems from being a teenager, and getting nicked for something I (we) didn't do. The nice Gardai were screaming in our faces as they kicked lumps out of us. One of the lads had a tattoo and they were whooping in his face telling him he was fcuked now, a picture of his tattoo would be going on file and he wouldn't be able to piss for the rest of his life without them knowing. Then they threw us into an unheated cell in our underwear and it was snowing outside.

It was so satisfying to go back and watch them tear up all the photo's and fingerprints they took of us when we could prove we hadn't done anything wrong. Bastards.

I like them, some of them. Every now and then I decide that I'm definitely getting one but then I chicken out. Some people have very well done pieces and I can't help but stare at them. Others have some feckin awful looking yokes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Couldn't agree more OP, tattoos look **** and cheap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Never saw the appeal TBH. Still don't. Then again I'm not 22. I knew only two or three people that had them when I was growing up. Maybe they were popular in other circles? Whatever floats your boat I say and I've seen the odd one I thought impressive in quality. Multiple tats of differing styles looks odd to me TBH. Those ones with names? ugh. BUt they're not done for me, so play ball...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

NIMAN wrote: »
    They are like beards, meant to make you hip and stand out from the crowd, but in the end it just makes you the same as everyone else.

This is bollocks imo. Certain beard styles can definitely enhance a mans appearance, while there are others that do the opposite.

Same thing with tattoos, hats, clothes and whatever else. The only difference with a tattoo is that you have to be more careful because you are more or less stuck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

like Starland Vocal Band.

I have very seriously considered getting that one but it'd have to be somewhere that doesn't see the light of day much. For every one person who got it....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Tattoos look very knackesish, i feel sorry for anyone who has one. Do you not realise how silly you will look in a few years time with your wrinkled up skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Seems that way and beards too....In they're quest to be "different"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I don't like ones that are in cursive italics with 'inspirational' messages. Or faces, or huge sleeve ones.

I've seen the odd, very small abstract design ones that look alright. In general they are not my thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I feel like i stand out now because i dont have tattoo's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

NIMAN wrote: »

I mean if I wear big flared jeans into work on Monday, the place will p1ss themselves laughing....but if Tom Hardy started wearing them, you can guarantee all the sheep would think they are great.

Skinny jeans time is over....It's time for flares to rise again

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I'd love to get the views of the people in the tattoos and piercings form. To make an educated debate as oppose to most here saying they them.

My OH has around 14 including a sleeve. She loves them. I have 6, all hidden. Out and about you'd never know I'd have them, but topless, you would.

Do people hate them? Of course. It's their right.
    Do people hate peanut butter? Of course.

Do people who have tattoos like peanut butter? Of course.

Everyone likes things that others hate. Everyone's hates things that others like.

If it ain't harming anyone, then let it be. Opinions are just that. Opinions. Unfortunately, people sometimes use opinions to mock others,as oppose to accept differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Its one thing getting a tattoo for life but I'd rather that than be small minded for the rest of my life. Tattos are great I think and when done right can be a great form of self expression, just like when the op feels the need to announce to the forum that he/she is disgusted by them. Each to there own like but if your disgusted by a piece of art on skin then it's not down to being old fashioned it's more to do with ya being a boring aul sod :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement