Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The biggest lies in movies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I think in Die Hard 4 the bad guy turned a screw in a phone and that somehow gave him free calls for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Leading men & women never have sex. They go straight from foreplay to a post-coital smoke in the time it takes the cameraman to move to the other side of the bed

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

Removing the bullet from a gunshot wound results in full recovery.
    No need for any other treatment. Maybe a splash of whiskey, which is obviously 100% effective against infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Saralee4

Terminator 1 was set in 1985, then T2 in 1995 but character John Connor who was conceived in T1 is age 13 in T2???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

A detective can only solve a case when he has been suspended from the force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Saralee4 wrote: »
    Terminator 1 was set in 1985, then T2 in 1995 but character John Connor who was conceived in T1 is age 13 in T2???

84 and 92....i know... Dafuq?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's a movie about time travelling. It's plausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Women looking amazing first thing in the morning.
    Yeah right!

It's a movie about time travelling. It's plausible.

:confused:

Although it is a complete paradox, the future him, sent his "father to be" back to conceive him with his "mother to be" so that he could be born and become a saviour against the terminators but actually by doing this he caused the terminators existence because they used the chip found from T1 to create them in the first place!!!

Crazy stuff but John Connor (the child) from T1 to T2 hadn't travelled in time so no excuse for messing up his age!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Although it is a complete paradox, the future him, sent his "father to be" back to conceive him with his "mother to be" so that he could be born and become a saviour against the terminators but actually by doing this he caused the terminators existence because they used the chip found from T1 to create them in the first place!!!

Crazy stuff but John Connor (the child) from T1 to T2 hadn't travelled in time so no excuse for messing up his age!!

But didn't the machines send Arnie back to kill Sarah Connor so she wouldn't conceive. Kyle Reese was only sent to stop Arnie...I think. So if the machines hadn't bothered Reese wouldn't of either so the machines would never of had to of worried about John Connor at all :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not entirely a paradox. The chip found from T1, just meant things happened sooner as it was possible for technology to advance at a more rapid rate.

I thought this was alluded to in the second movie?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Retirony
    Anybody in a dangerous job who's only a few days away from retirement or flying one last mission before going home to marry their childhood sweetheart is absolutely doomed to death by Retirony, whether that takes the form of a cold-blooded criminal, an ace German fighter pilot or a great big robotic monster.

iDave wrote: »
    But didn't the machines send Arnie back to kill Sarah Connor so she wouldn't conceive. Kyle Reese was only sent to stop Arnie...I think. So if the machines hadn't bothered Reese wouldn't of either so the machines would never of had to of worried about John Connor at all :confused:

Theres a scene at the end where a pregnant Sarah is making recordings for her son, and she questions whether or not to tell him who his father is, so I always thought that she did tell him when she was training him in case he didn't send Reece Kyle back!

oh and also there something about how Reece had always loved Sarah because of some picture that John had given him ( he was apparently always in love with her from the stories john told him and the picture and also he was a little neglected because he never got any in the future, I think they said he was a virgin right?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm happy enough with the artistic licence in Terminator.

First one is an excellent thriller and the second is a great action movie. Furlong was great in the role but I doubt he'd have passed for 7 years old. Also, a wayward teenager suits the film more.

I guess they wanted T2 released badly enough that they let the age difference slide.

Not entirely a paradox. The chip found from T1, just meant things happened sooner as it was possible for technology to advance at a more rapid rate.

I thought this was alluded to in the second movie?

im not sure exactly what they explained in T2 (i have to watch it again) but I think changing something in the past would not simply make something happen sooner rather than change the whole thing like the butterfly effect you know! it would still mean huge changes for the future john who had sent back Reece Kyle because when you make a change, everything changes. The movie is still a complete paradox. Someone sending someone from the future so that they exist (whether conscious decision or not) is still a paradox right? Like his father is actually younger than him!

Still doesn't explain the age mistake from T1 to T2!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Larianne wrote: »
    Women looking amazing first thing in the morning.
    Yeah right!

The world has ended, the ants are in charge, humanity is all-but extinct and surviving by eating old shoes but women still make sure to shave their legs and underarms, and have their hair and makeup perfect. The men, on the other hand, have beards you could lose a badger in.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭thickhead

People removing bullets from the hero. Why ? A bullet is mostly harmless when left in. As far as I can tell a bullet is hot when it comes out so would it not be sterile ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

The never ending story.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

thickhead wrote: »
    People removing bullets from the hero. Why ? A bullet is mostly harmless when left in. As far as I can tell a bullet is hot when it comes out so would it not be sterile ?.

well there is the slight problem of the wound channel left behind by said bullet. said wound channel will get infected if not treated. And bullets are not sterile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hero fires up Macbook. Macbook doesn't throw a strop over updates needing to be installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

kylith wrote: »
    The world has ended, the ants are in charge, humanity is all-but extinct and surviving by eating old shoes but women still make sure to shave their legs and underarms, and have their hair and makeup perfect. The men, on the other hand, have beards you could lose a badger in.

Sometimes they might have a delicately placed dirt smudge placed across the cheek, if going for the disheveled look!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I always thought T2 was set in 1997. I know it was released in 91 or 92.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,536 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Germany lost WW2 because their soldiers were such bad shots.

It is not necessary to lock your parked car in the US.

After a night of passion, the next morning the woman will sit up in bad ensuring that the duvet covers her breasts so that her partner doesn't see them.

When bedroom lights are switched off the room is always flooded with moonlight and doesn't really darken.

Boy meets girl, fall in love, have a crisis in the middle where one has doubts or interested in another party. However, relationship is always saved by the movie end.

Food in restaurants come out pretty much instantly

Cars routinely have brake failure

American houses always appear quite large but when a couple have a fight the husband sleeps on the couch rather than a spare bedroom.

Smoking bans do not apply to most films

It's perfectly acceptable to drink alcohol in the car whilst driving

E-mails come into your mailbox via a flying envelope graphic and whoosh noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

Yeah_Right wrote: »

1994 I think the script said. John Connor is supposed to be 10-11 years old.

Skynet wasn't developed yet, it was in the early developmental stages in the movie by Dyson . It would have needed another year of R&D say by Cyberdyne before it was used by the military to fly combat missions then allowed the autonomy to fly them solo then gained the self awareness that made them "...pull de plug" in 1997.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Adamantium wrote: »
    Pistol Whipping

LOST was unbearable for this, someone was getting hit in the face/head with a gun roughly every episode, not one cracked cranium, paralysis case or accidental death, just a nice little nap where you can be woken up with a splash of water.

How about Marv and Harry in the Home Alone films?? They should have been killed a dozen times over..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The biggest lie has to be CGI. 10,000 horsemen chasing the hero is not believable - Lord Of The Rings.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

T1 was1984 so john was born in 1985. Googled it there and the only proof apparently in T2 is a quick view of John Connor police record listing his age as 10 and the year 1995.

So he was supposed to be 10? So it wasnt a lie as such but all they had to do was set his age to 13 and the year to 1998 or something and it would have been more believable but then again a 10 year old John Connor is probably not going to be the same as any 10 year old :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In any bedroom scene set in a famous city the most famous landmark will always be outside the window. QV Eiffel tower.

Plus 1 on the geeky guy ends up with uberbabe. In reality she's far more likely to end up with the smarmy good looking rich villain of the piece. Actually I can think of one film ending that was changed because of this lack of reality. Pretty in Pink from the 80s. The original ending had the woman go off with the friend zone geek, but mostly teenaged test audiences cried GTFO at that so they had to do reshoots so she ends up with the good looking fella who had previously fecked her over. "Ben Stiller ohh I'd soo have him if he worked in accounts" said no uberbabe, ever.

People either die incredibly easily and quickly or take an absolute age and often have a last words quip at the end(apparently the most common last words of people who have been shot/stabbed etc are "I don't want to die").

Gunshots rarely sound real. In reality they're much more of a crack type sound, rather than a boom type sound. Oh and machine gun magazines have an almost unlimited supply of rounds in the hero's hands, but need to be frequently reloaded in the villains.

Any hero can fly a plane, or drive a car like Fangio and survive a roundhouse kick to the head.

Spaceships nearly always have gravity. They also turn and bank in space as if they were flying and you can see and hear lasers. Every planet they land on has earth gravity and breathable air. And American accents, or British if it's Dr Who, a chap that with all of the universe and time to explore tends to end up in Wales an awful lot. Or quarries in the Home Counties in the 70's.

Anything spoken in (bad)latin is magic.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The backspace and delete key's are decoration on keyboards in the movies.
    Everybody is Maevis Beacon perfect at typing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

well there is the slight problem of the wound channel left behind by said bullet. said wound channel will get infected if not treated. And bullets are not sterile.
    What's that you said?

• Advertisement

diomed wrote: »
    What's that you said?

was i not clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The backspace and delete key's are decoration on keyboards in the movies.
    Everybody is Maevis Beacon perfect at typing.

Where's the scene where the computer hacker just typed out 4 sentences with caps lock on because he can only type quickly by looking at the keyboard?

Whenever a sensitive file has to be stolen and loaded onto a drive, it will download in super fast time and the hero/villain will pop it out just in time to avoid being caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭valoren

The protaganist is given instructions incredibly quickly and incredily quietly by say a source under duress and manages to digest all the information without forgetting absolutely anything.

"You need to meet John Q Murphy, down by the Pier 115 docks on 4th Avenue, he'll be wearing a black cardigan, he has a scar over his right temple, his alias name is DeepBlue, he will ask you blah blah blah.....good luck"

I'd be stuck at what was his name again.

Wibbs wrote: »

People either die incredibly easily and quickly or take an absolute age and often have a last words quip at the end(apparently the most common last words of people who have been shot/stabbed etc are "I don't want to
    Anything spoken in (bad)latin is magic.

I always wondered in films say like Braveheart where you have big battle scenes in a field, who cleans up all the bodies and things after the battle has ended? And what about the enemies who are lying there slowly dying when the battle ended? Do the put them out of their misery?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I always wondered in films say like Braveheart where you have big battle scenes in a field, who cleans up all the bodies and things after the battle has ended? And what about the enemies who are lying there slowly dying when the battle ended? Do the put them out of their misery?

the victors will generally go around the battlefield and collect their wounded and dead. they will also finish off any wounded enemies they find and leave the corpses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

The cops turn up in two minutes.

Here its two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

How about Marv and Harry in the Home Alone films?? They should have been killed a dozen times over..

family Guy corrects this Home Alone Myth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That's more of a real world issue than a movie myth tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the victors will generally go around the battlefield and collect their wounded and dead. they will also finish off any wounded enemies they find and leave the corpses.
    Local people would often go around combing the dead and dying for valuables too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

That's more of a real world issue than a movie myth tbh.

yea its just they don't usually put it in as a scene. It looks cleaner in the movies. You go, win the battle and then go home and celebrate. You see them valiantly killing people in the battle but not so much when they are lying there half dead pleading for mercy. Sometimes they might only have a broken leg by the end and got knocked out, so they will kill those people too.

They leave it out because they don't want you think of any badness of the heros. They want you think that they fight fairly all the time.

None of this is necessary as it's all pretend and at the end of shooting the actors stand up and go home. Problem solved.

murpho999 wrote: »
    None of this is necessary as it's all pretend and at the end of shooting the actors stand up and go home. Problem solved.

sure, but you could say that for a lot of the points made in this thread! Isnt that what the thread is about? looking for lies or inconsistencies in movies?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Mr.McLovin

female orgasms without foreplay...

just lob it in for 20 seconds, screams of ecstasy followed by a shared cigarette despite neither of the smoking at any other time in the film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Shooting the bad guy THROUGH the good guy. Good guy walks away and is at work in the next scene with just his arm in a sling yet the bad guy died instantly?

• Advertisement

Kevin McAllister's trial for double murder would have made for a far better sequel than that New York one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

Movie lies ...
    1)Hayden Christensen is an Actor , when in fact he is a movie prop put in place at each scene by the set carpenters

2)Standard Colt Revolver which takes 6 bullets , has in reserve 600 that you don't have to load .

3)James Bond requires an STD check

4)Movie Sports Jocks are dump lugs that bully ppl but at the end are just shy and sensitive and Write poetry in there spare time .

sure, but you could say that for a lot of the points made in this thread! Isnt that what the thread is about? looking for lies or inconsistencies in movies?:confused:

No, there is a difference.

Just because they didn't show something it doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

For example we don't often see characters taking a dump but we can assume that do.

I found your point to be more related to real life than movies.

The thread is pointing out about things that happen in movies that are clearly not true or possible, not that something didn't get done.

Joeface wrote: »
    Movie lies ...

2)Standard Colt Revolver which takes 6 bullets , has in reserve 600 that you don't have to load .

Avoid the last Planet of the Apes movie so. Its appalling bad for that.

Kevin McAllister's trial for double murder would have made for a far better sequel than that New York one.

Justifiable homicide due to self defence. The parent's trial for neglect would have been much better. Brenda Fricker as the judge and Tim Curry as the prosecutor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement