Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-06-2019, 23:07   #16
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
That's what a deposit is for. The market is not favorable to pets for no justifiable reason and supply is greatly lacking so I've made a reasonable decision myself. There is also a lack of properties to buy without me having to borrow a few hundred thousand euro so I am in a desperate situation.
I can walk into any house and tell you if a cat or dog lives there even by just coming in the door. They all produce a smell, the owners often become immune but others will smell it.

Rental houses with pets usually work out 20% absolutely fine - 80% having to change all the carpets and curtains after a tenancy.
Advertisement
12-06-2019, 23:08   #17
Fol20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingrvar View Post
First of all, you can tell the tenant to replace the couches themselves if they are the ones who caused the damage. Second, you can have people who will damage furniture more than animals so using your logic you should deny them everything as well? People have to be a bit more open-minded about these things but put levers in place to get compensation if a tenant is not being responsible or honest.
There is measures in place to recoup damages but in practice, they are not fit for purpose. Im not talking about pets specifically here but you can have a tenant cause 50k in damage/lost rent. There might be an order against the tenant to repay a 100e a month. This in itself is poor as the ll could be dead by the time he receives the total amount coupled with the fact that tenants just stop paying it after a few months and its difficult to force them to pay. Most ll who have been in the RTB just write off the damage as they know they will never see the money again. If everything was enforceable, i would be more open to pets however with the current system, it is all about mitigating risk.
14-06-2019, 15:31   #18
Graces7

I have had several tenancies with dog( s) and cats. There has never been any damage to soft furnishings etc and never any mess as I am careful . And so are they.Always eg sofas get covered with thick cloth. Loose rugs are taken up ( trip hazard etc) and I have rarely seen carpet in a rental.

Doors are opened often in the day and rarely visitors anyway. NB any aroma will depart when the pets do. And yes I would notice it.

Most times the landlord has known in advance that I have pets. I think once that did not happen. when we moved in there was cat food in the cupboard and a dog lead hanging up.

OP good luck; I hope you find a haven for yourself and your cats .
14-06-2019, 15:34   #19
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
I can walk into any house and tell you if a cat or dog lives there even by just coming in the door. They all produce a smell, the owners often become immune but others will smell it.

Rental houses with pets usually work out 20% absolutely fine - 80% having to change all the carpets and curtains after a tenancy.
If so, then the aroma will depart when the tenants and their pets do and as you are not living there what does that matter?

None of the curtains etc where I have lived have ever needed replacing. And most rentals I know have lino or laminate floors. Most pets are house trained.
14-06-2019, 16:50   #20
Fol20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
If so, then the aroma will depart when the tenants and their pets do and as you are not living there what does that matter?

None of the curtains etc where I have lived have ever needed replacing. And most rentals I know have lino or laminate floors. Most pets are house trained.
The aroma doesnt always part with them. Iv had new tenants complain many moons ago about the pre existing smell.

My own dog is house trained but Randomly over the years, she has had an “accident”. Their pet animals so you cant really do much to prevent it.

Havent had any issues with curtains myself but could see it happening if you have cats.

It not relevant if the owner is living there. Its about the extra wear and tear along with the added hassle.
Advertisement
14-06-2019, 17:07   #21
Ginger83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assetbacked View Post
The problem with asking at the outset is that they will become suspicious. We were specifically told not to have pets but it is absurd that such a rule can be made. As tenants, we are paying for this to be our home and our pet is part of our family. So we just took our cat in with us without mentioning it and if we ever get an inspection will give him to a friend for the period. This works for us always. Not recommending it, just saying what we did.
You are most likely in breach of your tenancy.

I wouldn't like that hanging over me
14-06-2019, 19:12   #22
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post

With the best will in the world, it wont, at minimum professional cleaning will be required. Animal owners just seem completely oblivious to this and think their love for their pets means nobody else could possibly have an issue.

Not telling landlords is also a massive issue as new tenants may have children severely allergic to cat dander and them not knowing to have all fibres cleaned could be a health hazard.
(2) thanks from:
15-06-2019, 06:24   #23
Graces7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
With the best will in the world, it wont, at minimum professional cleaning will be required. Animal owners just seem completely oblivious to this and think their love for their pets means nobody else could possibly have an issue.

Not telling landlords is also a massive issue as new tenants may have children severely allergic to cat dander and them not knowing to have all fibres cleaned could be a health hazard.
On this our awarenesses and experiences differ. My cats are totally house trained and all the soft furnishings are well protected. Never had carpets in a rental yet either.

If you have never had pets of course you may have wrong ideas...
15-06-2019, 08:13   #24
Ingrvar

Guys, this is all good and well but this post was initially started in order to get help in finding such a place and not to debate on whether it's is morally grey.

Could you please let me know if you have friends, colleagues, relatives, etc... who are either landlords who will allow pets or who might know such a landlord.
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion