Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are our Catholic/Christian values being brushed aside?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Conservatives: Multiculturalism and migration is bad!
    Also conservatives: *Worships foreign religion based in Rome and culturally appropriated from the Middle East*

Christianity brought us slavery, genocide and paedophilia.

We need to go back to good old fashioned Irish Pagan values!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,616 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

hill16bhoy wrote:
    Are you saying that none of this things happened before Christianity? I think you need to check your history books.
    hill16bhoy wrote:
    We need to go back to good old fashioned Irish Pagan values!
    What do you know about Paganism. You are saying that there wasn't slavery, genocide or paedophilia before Christianity which leads me to believe you don't have a clue about Paganism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

eagle eye wrote: »
    Exactly like the religious nut.
    Mad Muffin seems to be of the ilk I'm talking about.
    As for secularism, if the majority of electorate are Roman Catholic and favour having a religious law then we will have one. That's how democracy works.
    In time it will change because more and more people are leaving religion.
    Look above.

God help you all…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Are you saying that none of this things happened before Christianity? I think you need to check your history books.

What do you know about Paganism. You are saying that there wasn't slavery, genocide or paedophilia before Christianity which leads me to believe you don't have a clue about Paganism.
    You're right. I don't have much of a clue about Paganism.

But I know Paganism was Irish before Christianity ever was.

"Our values", or something something.

Of course then you could go back to whatever was there before Paganism, and whatever was there before that, and demand those "cultural values", whatever they were.

These "cultural values" arguments are some load of utter rot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

Well the Average Irish family cant afford to buy their own house. We are being told that Homelessness in Ireland is going to be Normal. I am educated and have two professions much in demand. There is no value to working when the fat of what you earn get taken in tax and you wont be able to retire to well past 75 at the rate we are going. You dont think I want hang around for that?

You should give Dubai a go. You can keep all your wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭applehunter

To assist in allaying your confusion I can offer my own experiences if it helps.

I for one would like to wake up tomorrow morning and never come up against, discuss, or bother with "Religion" ever again. I am simply... not.... let.

There are many things I am personally interested in and/or very active in. Education of children is one. Science is another. Medicine another. Politics. Issues of ethics and morality. Sexuality, sexual issues, sexual health are on the list. Some issues around law. Human psychology. It is a long enough list, and it goes on.

In every single one of those, bar none, I am confronted by the faithful using their belief in god as a first level premise upon which second level premise arguments in those fields are based.

Take the analogy I use often. I think the kind of trousers worn by people in golf clubs are patently ridiculous. They look comical to me, unwieldy, obscene checkered nonsense with color choices that are an offense to my eyes.

Do I kick in their door demanding they stop wearing this awful pants? No. I do not. Never. Ever. I simply have no reason to.

SHOULD such people suddenly leave their club houses not just wearing those pants but demanding everyone else wear them too, or throwing out threats against peoples well being and happiness, or petitioning for laws that forbid commentary from non-wearers of the pants about those pants..... then I very much would not only resist their efforts, but ALSO offer them discourse on just how ridiculous their pants are.

Similarly if people wanted to pray at home, or go to their club houses that are called churches, and enjoy wearing their mental golf pants in this way, I simply would not have issue with them. At all. Ever. But this is not what they do. They instead walk into our halls of power, education and science and make the kind of noises that simply leave me unable to do anything but respond.

Especially when some of the noises they make on the subject genuinely does lead to a reduction in human well being. Such as the preaching of the sinful use of condoms in AIDS ravaged countries or the "soul enters the zygote at conception" style ideas that so heavily permeate our discourse on everything from abortion or medical stem cell research and treatments.

Golf pants.

You're a ****ing bore.

If there were a "thanks"/sentence you would be last on boards.

Mod: banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    !

You really need to read some history books.!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

What values?

Being a hypocrite?

Turning the other cheek?

Greed?

Fear?

Oppression?

Some values.

Advertisement