Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The biggest lies in movies...

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Already mentioned....
    Americans playing irish characters.

Usually named Seamus Reilly Mc O' Murphy
    or something.
    With aweful irish "accents"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Akrasia wrote: »
    That stalking someone is an acceptable form of courtship (see every 'romantic' movie ever)

In real life it's only stalking if you follow someone more than 4 blocks

The biggest lies in movies...

1) That the "cowboys" were the good guys and the "Indians" were the bad guys in those God-awful WASP westerns glorifying white superiority and racist genocide.

2) That the good guys in all those Vietnam War films were the chemical war-loving, mass murderers of civilians in the US occupying forces.

Fortunately for the Yanks, only the losers in world politics can be classified as "war criminals" and as being guilty of crimes against humanity. Guilt about one's country's war crimes is for other peoples.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

^^^^^^

Because not only will America go into your country and kill all your people. But what's worse I think is they'll come back twenty years later and make a movie about how killing your people made their soldiers feel sad.

Frankie Boyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

In Home Alone the McAllisters are at the gate in Chicago waiting to board and there is a DC10 out the window. Cut to shot of the plane taking off and they show an MD80. Everyone knows AA didn't fly MD80's between Chicago and Paris, they simply don't have the range.

Lets not get started on the ridiculousness of Conair

You can probably tell I spend most of my time in the aviation forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In Home Alone the McAllisters are at the gate in Chicago waiting to board and there is a DC10 out the window. Cut to shot of the plane taking off and they show an MD80. Everyone knows AA didn't fly MD80's between Chicago and Paris, they simply don't have the range.
    Passenger boards a 747, a view of the plane mid cruise tells us it's an MD11, then it lands as a 737

:D:D

:D:D

Touché:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Nerds! (I'm aware this is off topic and directed at people - but it had to be said goddammit!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't know if this is true or not, but there is a reported conversation between Ben Affleck and Armageddon driector Michael Bay:
    I asked [Michael Bay], 'Wouldn't it be easier to train astronauts to drill than to teach drillers how to be astronauts?' To which he replied, 'shut the **** up, Ben."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭JackTaylorFan

Baby pops out all shiny and clean with no poop and gunk and other stuff...

and begins crying immediately...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Speaking from experience there Captain?...:p

The lives of Indians or Mexicans didn't matter in ant pre 1990 western.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Speaking from experience there Captain?...:p

The lives of Indians or Mexicans didn't matter in ant pre 1990 western.

Even after, they are usually portrayed without agency and need a white man to teach them how to save themselves.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Crime Scene investigators wear their outdoor clothes and shoes in a crime scene. They swish their pretty swishy hair around while walking through the crime scene and leaning over the blood splattered body.

It's ok though. They snapped on a pair of disposable gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Neyite wrote: »
    Crime Scene investigators wear their outdoor clothes and shoes in a crime scene. They swish their pretty swishy hair around while walking through the crime scene and leaning over the blood splattered body.

Enhance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That reminds me, no one in movies knows or bothers with any kind of first aid. One of them gets shot and rather than put pressure on the wound or even call emergency services they just tell them to "hang on" and that they'll get the bad guy that did this. He's still alive for gods sake, it's like they just accept a bullet wound is fatal and are only sticking around out of politeness when they really want to get back to the gun battle with the bad guy.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

ScumLord wrote: »
    That reminds me, no one in movies knows or bothers with any kind of first aid. One of them gets shot and rather than put pressure on the wound or even call emergency services they just tell them to "hang on" and that they'll get the bad guy that did this. He's still alive for gods sake, it's like they just accept a bullet wound is fatal and are only sticking around out of politeness when they really want to get back to the gun battle with the bad guy.

Or they scoop up someone who's been run over or otherwise unresponsive and shake them silly while wailing at them to wake up. Usually a kid. Yes, that wont sever their spinal cord or totally bugger up their brain bleed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

That legions of professional baddies can't hit the hero as he/she runs around dodging bullets and killing dozens of the baddies with just a handgun.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tryfix wrote: »
    That legions of professional baddies can't hit the hero as he/she runs around dodging bullets and killing dozens of the baddies with just a handgun.
    "These blast points... too accurate for Sand People. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

And the comment -
    And in the first prequel, don't the sand people hit a fast moving pod racer from hundreds of metres away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

legions of bad guy fire full auto hundereds of rounds at the good guy and miss with every bullet ,
    good guy pops his handgun out from behind the object he is hiding behind, he doesnt even aim and can hit at least one each time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Thunder and lightening striking at exactly the same time. Usually doesn't happen. Usually it's flash first then thunder a few seconds later.

Bedtime scenes. It's actually fairly bright in movies. It's never pitch black.

One light switch turns on all lights when entering a dark house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    One light switch turns on all lights when entering a dark house.

I can do this

Hue FAQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

tryfix wrote: »

Thunder and lightening striking at exactly the same time. Usually doesn't happen. Usually it's flash first then thunder a few seconds later

Not to be pedantic, but thunder and lightning always happen at the exact same time. Its the difference between the speed of sound and light that gives the impression of the thunder coming after. If your within a few hundred meters of the strike, you'll have been deafened by the time you realise the flash was lightning (trust me, I've been too close before:eek:)

Anyway, big lie for me... someone fires a 9mmn and there is a huge flash and bang from it when in reality there is just a little pop that wouldn't wake a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Apparently its perfectly normal for groups of people to walk in single file from left to right.

When was the last time you had a nightmare so intense that you jolt up 90 degrees from your bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Or they scoop up someone who's been run over or otherwise unresponsive and shake them silly while wailing at them to wake up. Usually a kid. Yes, that wont sever their spinal cord or totally bugger up their brain bleed.

This sort of stuff bugs me as well. It's like when someone is saved from drowning, a couple of breaths and a few pushes on the chest and hey presto they're fine again. I've done CPR on over a dozen people, in one case for nearly an hour. Most of them still die if there isn't a defibrillator available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Anyway, big lie for me... someone fires a 9mmn and there is a huge flash and bang from it when in reality there is just a little pop that wouldn't wake a baby.

I have to disagree there. What 9mm are you referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

Thunder and lightening striking at exactly the same time. Usually doesn't happen. Usually it's flash first then thunder a few seconds later.

To add to this, the person ends up on the street with no shelter when suddenly there's an almighty crack of thunder and it begins bucketing rain.

Its as if the thunder is the starting pistol for the storm.

gQyyvPJ.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

In the film Tristan & Isolde the Irish woman has a posh Dublin brogue, this made me sick, how could they portray a celtic woman with a posh dublin brogue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

In the film Tristan & Isolde the Irish woman has a posh Dublin brogue, this made me sick, how could they portray a celtic woman with a posh dublin brogue

Did she have her green and white hooped jersey on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

You can probably tell I spend most of my time in the aviation forum

You have just ruined home alone and in extent to that, Christmas for me. I hope you're happy

I have to disagree there. What 9mm are you referring to?

I know nothing about guns other than I shot a 9mm (and some others) in Dubai several years ago, and was greatly underwhelmed. I was expecting huge bangs and explosions and got... pop pop pop! OK yes, maybe it would wake a baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Also on the subject of guns...

That suppressors make a gunshot almost inaudible, don't know from personal experience but I've read it would actually still be loud enough to be heard from a few rooms over.

That car doors etc act as good cover in a gunfight. Apparently some armed gangs, terrorist groups, etc have tried this in shootouts with armed forces like armies and SWAT teams. I've again just read, but some of these bullets apparently can penetrate through exterior walls... so you can imagine how a few millimeters or so of sheet metal should hold up. :D

Billy86 wrote: »
    That car doors etc act as good cover in a gunfight. Apparently some armed gangs, terrorist groups, etc have tried this in shootouts with armed forces like armies and SWAT teams. I've again just read, but some of these bullets apparently can penetrate through exterior walls... so you can imagine how a few millimeters or so of sheet metal should hold up. :D
    Many American police forces are using left over military equipment, Military stuff is extremely powerful, it's built with armoured targets in mind. You probably wouldn't be all that safe hiding behind the engine block never mind a sheet of metal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ScumLord wrote: »
    Many American police forces are using left over military equipment, Military stuff is extremely powerful, it's built with armoured targets in mind. You probably wouldn't be all that safe hiding behind the engine block never mind a sheet of metal.

Hid behind the tyres is the practice I think..engine block plus tyre gives most cover, doors don't even offer concealment really

other weird thing I head was car windows/windscreens are really good at deflecting the course of side arm rounds

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Bambi wrote: »
    Hid behind the tyres is the practice I think..engine block plus tyre gives most cover, doors don't even offer concealment really

other weird thing I head was car windows/windscreens are really good at deflecting the course of side arm rounds

an armed policeman told me that tyres are practically bullet proof, especially when moving, which is why they are trained to hit the engine if trying to stop a moving vehicle, which they only do in absolutely extreme situations anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Watching a programme last night and the ending was someone sitting in a church and the other person appearing beside them. How did they know they were in the church? It's always happening in movies and programmes.

an armed policeman told me that tyres are practically bullet proof, especially when moving, which is why they are trained to hit the engine if trying to stop a moving vehicle, which they only do in absolutely extreme situations anyway.
    That sounds wrong but I suppose most tyres are designed to be though and have steel wire incorporated into them. The rotating tyre might be enough to throw the bullet. I'd say the tyre would be badly damaged at least.

Pity mythbusters is gone (I know they're trying to reboot with new hosts but it's essentially gone) that sounds like it would be a great episode. The more I think about the less sure I become.

Advertisement