Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Heating System Options & recommendations

• 21-07-2019 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm on the look out for a replacement for the my existing programmer to the boiler ( I had a thread last week here about figuring out my system which helped massively).

I have a gas boiler with an existing analog programmer that turns the boiler on and off (no option for hot water alone). This has a live and neutral feed with, in the same connector blocks, a live and neutral out. In other connector blocks, I have a live and neutral that runs the boiler. I've added a picture for some clarity.

I have two thermostats; one downstairs and one upstairs. These thermostats directly operate the two actuator values (with that permanent live coming from the programmer up to the valves located upstairs). So when I turn on my boiler at the programmer, the system heats the water and each floor of the house depending if that floor's thermostat is sending the signal to the valve. If both thermostats not powering their respective valve, no radiators heat up.

Unfortunately, there is no return from the valves to the programmer which means (If I'm assuming correctly) with a Hive system I lose the capability to independently control upstairs and downstairs heating zones?

My aim is to replace my existing programmer with a smart alternative that can be controlled by an app (so I can turn the boiler on and off remotely) . But I'd like to maintain the capability to have thermostats for each floor too.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly welcome.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

If you were to install a Hive, you can install a single channel, to replace your controller, and have a Hive stat to 'govern' both other existing stats.
    Not really ideal though.

What I would do, is install a new motorised valve onto the hot water circuit, and also a bypass valve and cylinder stat, run five core cable from your boiler and spur to the hot press, ant install a single and a dual hive receiver (to give a multi zone) and replace both stats with Hive stats, a bit of wiring involving a full 3 zone s-plan, in junction box (also in the hotpress)

the you would have control of both heating zones and hot water, and have really improved you system.

If you wanted to augment even further, Hive now also supply smart TRVs, that wirelessly link into the Hive stat for that area, so you could even move toward individual room time/temp control.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

DGOBS wrote: »
    If you were to install a Hive, you can install a single channel, to replace your controller, and have a Hive stat to 'govern' both other existing stats.
    Not really ideal though.

What I would do, is install a new motorised valve onto the hot water circuit, and also a bypass valve and cylinder stat, run five core cable from your boiler and spur to the hot press, ant install a single and a dual hive receiver (to give a multi zone) and replace both stats with Hive stats, a bit of wiring involving a full 3 zone s-plan, in junction box (also in the hotpress)

the you would have control of both heating zones and hot water, and have really improved you system.

If you wanted to augment even further, Hive now also supply smart TRVs, that wirelessly link into the Hive stat for that area, so you could even move toward individual room time/temp control.

Thanks for such a detailed reply.
    If I didn't go with Hive, is there an alternative programmer that would allow remote control heat on and off but would allow me to keep my existing stats?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I'm sure there is, but for proper 'boiler interlock' above is the only way to go as regards wiring, what you have is a system that does not feed back to the boiler, and wastes fuel

Advertisement