Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube plumbing information instead of getting a plumber

Options
  • 21-07-2019 3:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭

Who needs plumbers?

You can find everything you need on youtube.

Only yesterday I had a small pipe leaking outside right under the boiler exhaust and i just placed a push on blank and the leakage stopped.

Say I saved at least 200 quid.

Result:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Who needs plumbers?

You can find everything you need on youtube.

Only yesterday I had a small pipe leaking outside right under the boiler exhaust and i just placed a push on blank and the leakage stopped.

Say I saved at least 200 quid.

Result:)

:D:D:D:D :pac:
    You know what they say, a little knowledge can be dangerous :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

K.Flyer wrote: »
    :D:D:D:D :pac:
    You know what they say, a little knowledge can be dangerous :pac:

And too much could could kill you;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

And too much could could kill you;)
    If its the small pipe that its most likely to be, Then you might quite quickly fall into the "too much" category :eek::eek:

Seriously, be careful. If you want, post a pic here to let some of the guys verify its safety.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Yeah, who are these feckers to say I can’t modify my gas boiler e.g. to make it more efficient? Health and Safety gone mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

YouTube would be fine for simple jobs.

Last month, one of our taps was reduced to a trickle. Then it ceased to flow. Google and YouTube suggested an airlock, so I ran a hose pipe from one tap to another. Fixed in two seconds.

I would never depend on YouTube for potentially risky jobs. I'd feel the same way about electrics. Changing a plug - fine. Having a bash at the master fuse box - no way.

You should always seek professional advice if you are uncomfortable with the solution.

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    YouTube would be fine for simple jobs.

Last month, one of our taps was reduced to a trickle. Then it ceased to flow. Google and YouTube suggested an airlock, so I ran a hose pipe from one tap to another. Fixed in two seconds.

I would never depend on YouTube for potentially risky jobs. I'd feel the same way about electrics. Changing a plug - fine. Having a bash at the master fuse box - no way.

You should always seek professional advice if you are uncomfortable with the solution.

I suppose the trouble starts when the difference between a simple and dangerous task isn't known. As an example, blanking off a weeping expansion pipe; Job done, leak stopped, DIY'r happy, but the whole safety unknowingly compromised.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

@OP, would be interested for know which pipe this was, in the hope it wasn't the safety valve outlet you just blanked.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Just to be clear I didn't start this thread and my post was a light hearted response to the original OP that has now disappeared.

Just to be clear I didn't start this thread and my post was a light hearted response to the original OP that has now disappeared.

MOD note: FYI the original thread is still there and rather than display heavy-handed moderation, I created this thread to stop your post pulling the op off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

And bang goes any insurance you might have had.

• Advertisement
Advertisement