Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Thermostat

Options
  • 23-02-2017 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi, 
    Just looking for some quick advice. Looking to install Nest thermostat in my home, I am obviously going to use an approved plumber/electrician but would just like some general advice first. 
    My current set up is a relatively new (2/3 years) gas boiler located in the 'hot press' downstairs. Beside this boiler is an electric timer. This timer allows me to independently control downstairs radiators, upstairs radiators and hot water. This works well because obviously in the summer we just want hot water and a lot of the time in the winter we only want upstairs radiators as we have an Aga downstairs. 
    So my first question is do I require three Nest thermostats to continue to control the three areas independently? 
    Secondly, and this might not be the correct forum for this question but does the Nest require a static IP address to allow me to tap in to it from my phone outside the home?
    Thanks for you help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

Two Nests would be enough to control all three zones. No port forwarding is required so no need for a static ip address

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dtwhite123

I have a similar existing configuration to the OP. However, both the upstairs, downstairs and water “zones” are all controlled nicely with existing thermostats which work well.

However, I would like to be able to change out the old skool timer/control panel on the wall (used for turning on/off each zone and programming times etc) with some kind of smart device which would allow us to control the heating & water with our phones, including remotely when away from the house. Ability to control using Apple HomeKit and Google Home would be useful too.

What would be a suitable device which would not break the bank? I don’t *think* we need a Nest since the existing wall mounted thermostats work just fine. We just want to replace the time/control panel.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Most of the smart heating devices include a wired or wireless thermostat for the zones, as its not just 'timed' control, its 'time and temperature' control as this is more energy efficient, and allows you to set different temperature requirements at different times.

Have a tour of your energy gas/electricity providers and see what offers they have going, with regard to dual fuel energy sign up for 12/24 months, and you may get most or all of your requirements at a reduced or free cost, including the claim to energy credits.

Hive and Nest you should look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Coley35

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not. I'm interested in the Nest thermostat. My house was built in 2004, oil boiler Grant 90/120, bungalow with underfloor heating for kitchen, utility & bathroom, and radiators in the other rooms. I have 3 timer switches, 1 for underfloor, 1 for radiators and 1 for hot water. I have 2 thermostats, 1 in the kitchen for the underfloor and 1 in main bedroom for the radiators. I got onto Electric Ireland about the Nest, she put me on hold to ask their Technican. Got back to me and said I definitely would need 2 new Nest thermostats but they still can't tell if it will work with my system until I place order and they come out to install. They have an offer online for €130 for 1 Nest thermostat installed but for the 2nd thermostat they would charge an extra €270! as the offer is only on the 1st one! So that would be €400 for 2. Sorry for long winded post, does this seem reasonable, would they suit my system? Any advice appreciated.

Advertisement