Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail 'offline' prices?

Options
  • 28-08-2016 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Is there a big difference between Irish rails online fares and paying on the day?

I'm looking to book a journey that would cost 12.99 to book online, but no mention of how much it costs otherwise. I'd book online but I'm flying into Shannon before that, and delays are always possibile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Big difference typically.

Very recent experience where was 15 from Dublin to Limerick, and 40 on the day despite maybe 50% occupancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The booking office fares are all on the website. Select the appropriate route on the link below to see the fares.

http://www.irishrail.ie/fares-and-tickets/fares-info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

lxflyer wrote: »
    The booking office fares are all on the website. Select the appropriate route on the link below to see the fares.

Thanks for that. 36 euro vs 12.99 online. That's a bit of a joke.

If I booked a ticket online and missed my train would they let me on a later one? I see something on their site about a €10 charge. Do they actually enforce that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

For example online fares for Dublin-Cork start at 19.99 each way, I'm pretty sure. An open return ticket bought at station is €86.75

So yeah, cheaper online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

If I booked a ticket online and missed my train would they let me on a later one? I see something on their site about a €10 charge. Do they actually enforce that?

They do, and if you get caught without having paid you risk a €100 fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Thanks for that. 36 euro vs 12.99 online. That's a bit of a joke.

How is it a joke? Get the online fare for a Ryanair flight and then go up to the desk on the day of the flight and see the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

lxflyer wrote: »

Hmmm, are the rollup fares a lot cheaper than online fares in some instances or am I reading it wrong?
    e.g., Dublin to Newry is Fare H on the grid which is €29 return, but looking on the online booking the cheapest I can find for September is 19.99x2 + booking fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hmmm, are the rollup fares a lot cheaper than online fares in some instances or am I reading it wrong?
    e.g., Dublin to Newry is Fare H on the grid which is €29 return, but looking on the online booking the cheapest I can find for September is 19.99x2 + booking fee.

It's come up for me online just now as being €29 return. You need to look at the total fare which is below the trip selection option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

It's Ireland. So the answer is...occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

When you chose your outward and return journeys the total amount will default to the fare listed on the chart on the website, so although showing as 2 x €19.99 for the journeys when you go to book the total return price will show as €29.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

No booking fee. Booking on line in advance can be cheaper or even on the day for single journeys where the saving might be only around €3 with no flexibility over the train times.

The combination of two online fares will always default to the booking office return fare if it is cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,991 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

How is it a joke? Get the online fare for a Ryanair flight and then go up to the desk on the day of the flight and see the difference.

well i'd imagine, it's because we aren't talking about an airline but a railway trying (badly) to be an airline.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,187 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

well i'd imagine, it's because we aren't talking about an airline but a railway trying (badly) to be an airline.

so you think the online fares should be the same as the walk-up fares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Nonsense, most railways that sell online use yield management I don't think it's a railway trying to be an airline. I made the comparison to an airline as they use the same system for bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭howiya

How far in advance are you able to book online for Irish Rail? 60 days?

Also noted for a journey I intend to take in November that the train to Thurles is 16 minutes slower than the same journey in October. Any reason for this?

howiya wrote: »

Also noted for a journey I intend to take in November that the train to Thurles is 16 minutes slower than the same journey in October. Any reason for this?

Saturday engineering works?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

howiya wrote: »

60 days is the earliest you can book ahead, yeah.

Some trains serving Thurles call at stations en route while others have it as their first stop. The additional stops will add time onto the journey. If your booking is for a Saturday service then there are amended journey times owing to ongoing track relaying works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭howiya

Both journeys on a Saturday and only serving the one station so it must be planned works on a particular Saturday

Dates for works are on the website:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/news/lineimprovementworks

• Advertisement
Advertisement